PDA

View Full Version : So many choices need a little help

des47
12-06-2023, 10:45 AM
Hello everyone.
I'm in need of a little help. How much of a difference is there between the CMT340 version 2 and the Sierra line for home theater? I’m looking to upgrade from the Emotiva TZero. The CMTs look intriguing. I know the Sierra line are more sophisticated but I am looking for clarity, soundstage and detail. This is mostly for movies but also some music and gaming. The Sierra LX also looks promising but I’m not quite sure which way to go. Also I do have subs but they will also get upgraded. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

davef
12-08-2023, 12:46 AM
Hello everyone.
I'm in need of a little help. How much of a difference is there between the CMT340 version 2 and the Sierra line for home theater? I’m looking to upgrade from the Emotiva TZero. The CMTs look intriguing. I know the Sierra line are more sophisticated but I am looking for clarity, soundstage and detail. This is mostly for movies but also some music and gaming. The Sierra LX also looks promising but I’m not quite sure which way to go. Also I do have subs but they will also get upgraded. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi des47 and welcome to our community.

A few quick questions for you if you don't mind.

1. How far back will you be sitting from the left/right speakers?

2. What amp or receiver will you be using?

3. Do you also listen to music on this system?

Thanks in advance!

des47
12-09-2023, 09:36 AM
Thank you for responding. This system will be for music, gaming and movies. We will be approximately 12 feet from the left and right speakers. Currently have a Denon 3700 but I am considering adding an a Hypex or Pascal amp from either VTV or Buckeye. We watch a lot of tv and movies. But when we listen to music itÂ’s usually Classical or metal. My wife loves PFunk and Soul. I know we are opposites.

davef
01-16-2024, 01:35 AM
Thank you for responding. This system will be for music, gaming and movies. We will be approximately 12 feet from the left and right speakers. Currently have a Denon 3700 but I am considering adding an a Hypex or Pascal amp from either VTV or Buckeye. We watch a lot of tv and movies. But when we listen to music itÂ’s usually Classical or metal. My wife loves PFunk and Soul. I know we are opposites.

Hi des47,

My sincere apologies for the delay in responding.

I am thinking either our Sierra-LX or our CMT-340SE2 would be perfect for you. If you want extreme volumes, go with 340SE2. if a more refined, dynamic and spacious sound - our LX is the better choice.

Hope this helps!

zeeke42
01-17-2024, 06:28 AM
I went through similar things in my thread here: https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?7877-How-far-up-the-chain-is-worth-it-in-a-compromised-room

I ended up going with the LX for the front three channels and I'm beyond satisfied. I haven't heard the 340s, but the LX are amazing.

des47
01-18-2024, 07:08 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. At this point it is down to the Paradigm Premier 700f or the Sierra LX. I am partial to towers. I'm not sure how the LXs compare to the 700fs but I like the description that they sound like tower speakers. Zeeke42 I will read through your thread. Thanks again.

natetg57
01-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Thank you for the suggestions. At this point it is down to the Paradigm Premier 700f or the Sierra LX. I am partial to towers. I'm not sure how the LXs compare to the 700fs but I like the description that they sound like tower speakers. Zeeke42 I will read through your thread. Thanks again.

Paradigm Monitor series was my first real speaker system. I enjoyed them for many years, but in my opinion, you'd have to move up a line or two to get a comparable system.

curtis
01-18-2024, 10:48 AM
It is very surprising how "big" the LX's sound.

des47
01-18-2024, 01:09 PM
Natetg57 are you saying something higher than the Premier line would be more comparable to the LX?

natetg57
01-18-2024, 01:30 PM
Natetg57 are you saying something higher than the Premier line would be more comparable to the LX?

Yes. Paradigm spends money on advertising and their speaker are sold in brick & mortar stores. I think they are a good value but Ascend spends nothing on advertising and there is no middle man, hence a better value for the money.

davef
01-18-2024, 05:20 PM
I think it's important to point out that if Sierra-LX were to be sold though a retailer, the absolute minimum price they would sell for would be ~ $2400 for the pair. There is a reason you don't see any retailers selling our products, and many have tried, it just never works out. This is because unlike many other internet-direct speaker manufacturers, our retail prices really are wholesale.

Consumers should never compare different speaker models based on pricing. I'd confidently put our LX up against any bookshelf speaker at any price.

des47
01-19-2024, 12:55 PM
I originally thought the CMT-340SE2 would be the way to go. But now I think the LX is the speaker to beat. It sounds like these are the way to go for someone who like to game, movies and music.

davef
01-19-2024, 04:01 PM
100% agree!

des47
01-22-2024, 02:09 PM
Has anyone tried a Schiit Vidar2 with the LX? I wonder if there is enough headroom to push the LX since it is around 87db.

racrawford65
01-22-2024, 03:06 PM
100 wpc should be fine at your distance (12 feet) with the LX. By the linked calculator, you'd achieve peaks of around 100 dB, which is very loud.

http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html

I have a pair of LXs that I did put in my main system for a week or so. My amp is only 100 wpc, I sit about 9' from the speakers, and it was fine, even at louder levels. In an open floor plan and speakers were a few feet from back wall and about 2 feet from side wall. LXs now in my office (main speakers are ELX RAAL Towers).

davef
01-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Has anyone tried a Schiit Vidar2 with the LX? I wonder if there is enough headroom to push the LX since it is around 87db.

More than enough headroom, you would likely never even use 1/2 the amount of available power.

Hope this helps!

des47
02-10-2024, 06:06 PM
So just placed an order for the Sierra 1v2. IÂ’m very excited. This is my first higher end speaker and IÂ’m looking forward to it.

natetg57
02-10-2024, 06:26 PM
So just placed an order for the Sierra 1v2. IÂ’m very excited. This is my first higher end speaker and IÂ’m looking forward to it.

I think you'll love them. Don't be surprised if you don't feel 'blown away' at first. Accurate speakers will likely grow on you over time. Things will just sound 'right'. Or maybe you will be blown away. I like to find my best recordings of female singers to test out new speakers. And well recorded cymbals and acoustic guitars are a good test as well.

des47
02-11-2024, 06:55 AM
Thank you Nate. I’m going to do just that as well as movies. I was going to get the LX but I already have subs and we rarely play anything at reference level. I read these were similar through the midrange but not as much bass .

MDinno
02-11-2024, 09:37 AM
Thank you Nate. I’m going to do just that as well as movies. I was going to get the LX but I already have subs and we rarely play anything at reference level. I read these were similar through the midrange but not as much bass .

That's exactly why I went with the 340SE2. Especially with it's sensitivity.

des47
02-11-2024, 11:21 AM
I was considering the 340SE2 as well but really liked the look of the Sierra 1v2. Plus I’ve always wanted to own the Sierra.

des47
02-14-2024, 03:07 PM
Got the email my goodies are on the way! Very excited!

racrawford65
02-14-2024, 03:26 PM
congrats on the new speakers

des47
02-14-2024, 07:02 PM
Thank you.

des47
02-16-2024, 07:59 PM
Just got the Sierra 1v2 today. Still waiting on stands but had to hook them up. They are in a less than ideal configuration for now. But I was wondering how long is the break in?

James
02-17-2024, 10:06 AM
Here's a post from Dave on break-in time:

Sierra Break-in Period (ascendacoustics.com) (https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?3689-Sierra-Break-in-Period#:~:text=However%2C%20whether%20or%20not%20t hese,seems%20to%20be%20the%20consensus.&text=This%20does%20not%20help%20a%20speaker%20brea k%2Din%20faster.)

des47
02-17-2024, 07:29 PM
Thank you James.

des47
02-18-2024, 07:13 PM
I watched the first movie on the Sierra 1 v2s. Coming from the Emotiva TZero the dialogue was sooo much better. Not once did I have ask what did they say? The dynamics were much better as well. Only have about 10 hours on them so far so still looking to see how much more they open up. So far very impressed.

davef
02-19-2024, 01:07 AM
I watched the first movie on the Sierra 1 v2s. Coming from the Emotiva TZero the dialogue was sooo much better. Not once did I have ask what did they say? The dynamics were much better as well. Only have about 10 hours on them so far so still looking to see how much more they open up. So far very impressed.

Happy to hear this. Enjoy!!!!

des47
02-19-2024, 08:34 AM
I'm looking to expand from a 2.2 setup to a 5.4.2 here in the near future. I don't have room for surround speakers so I am looking for in ceiling speakers. Is there a brand that pairs well with the Ascends?

des47
02-20-2024, 09:38 AM
Just sitting here listening to 9Bach and I can’t stop smiling. I’ve never had a system like this before. If you’ve never heard 9Bach I encourage you to give them a listen. They are a indie rock/Welsh folk band. Fantastic for checking out the female voice and percussion. Thank you Ascend Acoustics for such a fantastic product.