PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from Sierra EXv2 to ELX Towers?

Enryu
09-06-2023, 11:42 PM
I had purchased the Sierra EXv2 about a year ago when the ELX towers were not out. At that point I had decided on the EXv2 as the current towers were an older iteration. Recently, I’ve been considering an upgrade to the ELX towers. However, I’m a bit hesitant since I’m not sure if the ELX towers would be a significant upgrade given that I already have the EXv2. Could someone with experience with both of these speakers let me know if there is a significant difference between the two? I do know that ELX has much stronger bass so I would be likely running EXv2 with a sub to compensate (seems you can run the ELX without a sub). If I went with the ELX, i would probably sell my EXv2 or put them in another room.

I typically listen around 70-80dB and I use the system for about 50/50 with HT and music. I plan to get a Horizon to pair with my speakers. My room dimensions are around 17'x25'.

racrawford65
09-07-2023, 04:59 AM
Since you're 50/50 HT/music, with either the 2EXv2 or ELX I'd probably add a sub (or 2) for movies, in particular. For music/ELX Towers, a sub isn't really necessary (I have the Towers and have listened to music with subs and without, and the Towers do a great job without the sub in play).

I have the S2 (not EX, but considering an upgrade in the future) and the ELX Towers (I upgraded my v1 Towers earlier this year). I also have a pair of LX in my office. Personally, I think the ELX Towers are better than either (although the LX give them a run for the money, but I still prefer the RAAL over the Titan).

You're room is also pretty big. I think the ELX Towers would be a great upgrade. As you noted, you could use the EX in another room, sell, or move them to surround duty.

I also suggest you give Dave/Dina a call to discuss. They are both straight shooters and will make the best recommendation for your needs/usage.

billy p
09-07-2023, 06:41 AM
From another thread, Dave discusses the two designs
https://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?7678-New-Sierra-2EX-V2!!!&p=71791#post71791

racrawford65
09-07-2023, 11:35 AM
Thanks for that billyp. Your memory is better than mine!

billy p
09-07-2023, 02:40 PM
Thanks for that billyp. Your memory is better than mine!

Robert,

Perhaps only today...:o

Enryu
09-08-2023, 09:46 PM
Thanks! Seems from Dave's account there should be a pretty noticible difference between the two. I think I'll go for the upgrade.

racrawford65
09-09-2023, 02:51 AM
Good choice. The ELX Towers are amazing.

billy p
09-09-2023, 12:56 PM
Thanks! Seems from Dave's account there should be a pretty noticible difference between the two. I think I'll go for the upgrade.

I agree with Robert on good decision upgrading to the ELX. By accounts in the link talking about the differences...the S2 EX V2 is closer to the V2 Towers in terms of sound but again the V2 Towers use the larger RAAL plus dedicated midrange...which is another advantage.

Post your thoughts once to have them in place...