PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Isolator / Feet Recommendations - for Hard Wood Flooring

ksr_sundar
08-29-2023, 11:18 AM
I have setup Ascend 340 as my primary music listening speakers and spend a lot of time with them. I noticed considerable improvements after adding sand (in fact clumping cat litter) in the TP-24 stands and mounted them on spikes. I did the adjustments slowly by caliberating after every move.

I had finally settled on my ideal position and the right crossover numbers, I see my home cleaners always move the speakers and invariably the spike gets exposed on the hardwood floors and get cracks all over the place. I'm tired of telling them every time.. They dont seem to get it..

Is there an alternative, I see some stuff from ISO acoustics GAIA II etc.. Is it worth it? Can you guys recommend good alternatives?

racrawford65
08-29-2023, 01:31 PM
I use the GAIAs on my Towers and have hardwood floors also. Work really well. I've also used some blue painters to mark the position of the front two feet in case they get moved (by me, as I am the house cleaner).

Others have used alternate footers which are cheaper - posted somewhere in this forum. I don't remember which ones or where (sorry).

CarloM
08-30-2023, 08:35 AM
As someone who spent over $5K on a pair of ELX towers...I surprisingly got cold feet buying...isolation feet. Those Gaia feet are super sexy...but since I had already splurged I didn't want to spend another $400 on feet if I didn't know what the ROI was going to be.

So I cheaped out and bought the SVS Soundpath for under $100: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NCSQ5GK

I definitely noticed a difference (full disclosure I have carpet not hardwood) in a positive way. It tightened up the bass a bit, vs. just having the speakers on the plinth on top of carpet. But they definitely look utilitarian.

Knowing what I know now, I'd probably get the Gaia III (the ELX are under 70lbs) for their aesthetics. Not sure if they'll perform better than the SVS Soundpath, but a speaker of the ELX's caliber deserves some nice looking kicks.

racrawford65
08-30-2023, 08:56 AM
That's part of the reason I went with Gaia's - the looks. Plus, they have like a suction cup on the bottom which holds the speakers in place on my wood floor. I installed them on my Towers when the speakers arrived, so can't tell you if they made any audible difference.

davef
09-01-2023, 02:42 AM
I have setup Ascend 340 as my primary music listening speakers and spend a lot of time with them. I noticed considerable improvements after adding sand (in fact clumping cat litter) in the TP-24 stands and mounted them on spikes. I did the adjustments slowly by caliberating after every move.

I had finally settled on my ideal position and the right crossover numbers, I see my home cleaners always move the speakers and invariably the spike gets exposed on the hardwood floors and get cracks all over the place. I'm tired of telling them every time.. They dont seem to get it..

Is there an alternative, I see some stuff from ISO acoustics GAIA II etc.. Is it worth it? Can you guys recommend good alternatives?

Great looking setup!

I use these in the TP-24 stands on hardwood floors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O66SWPO/

They work very well!

ksr_sundar
09-04-2023, 07:56 AM
Great looking setup!

I use these in the TP-24 stands on hardwood floors: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O66SWPO/

They work very well!

Thanks a ton Dave.. These seem to be a great option. I will explore..

ksr_sundar
09-11-2023, 06:04 PM
Great looking setup!

They work very well!

These turned out great! Exactly what I Needed..

davef
09-12-2023, 12:10 AM
These turned out great! Exactly what I Needed..

Excellent - I had a hunch you were looking for something like these. I use them all the time :)

maheeinfy
11-07-2023, 04:09 AM
Neat setup!
Where are electronics? Speaker wire run thru walls?

Mag_Neato
11-07-2023, 04:51 AM
I use the SVS Soundpath footers under a Rythmik F12, on carpet over a suspended floor above my garage. Was getting a ton of resonance from the sound travelling through the floor into the walls. The footers made a very noticeable difference and really tightened up the room. I also use a Subdude platform under the 2nd F12, which is along the side wall.

billy p
11-13-2023, 04:58 PM

Contemplating alternative isolation feet for my sub. I've come across these....just waiting for what method ( from supplier) they'll attach to underside of my sub. As it stands now...it's on factory rubber feet on carpeted floor. This is more for aesthetic thou 49mm height will provide noticeable clearance, look good and hopefully eliminate any wave travel through the carpet on a suspended floor...media room is above garage...I can definitely hear thumping playing music there and mulling about in garage.

Many of the suggestions here started me through this process but don't give my the desired clearance.

Amazon link for curiosity sakes.

https://a.co/d/8BXx6WQ

Mag_Neato
11-14-2023, 05:09 AM

Contemplating alternative isolation feet for my sub. I've come across these....just waiting for what method ( from supplier) they'll attach to underside of my sub. As it stands now...it's on factory rubber feet on carpeted floor. This is more for aesthetic thou 49mm height will provide noticeable clearance, look good and hopefully eliminate any wave travel through the carpet on a suspended floor...media room is above garage...I can definitely hear thumping playing music there and mulling about in garage.

Many of the suggestions here started me through this process but don't give my the desired clearance.

Amazon link for curiosity sakes.

https://a.co/d/8BXx6WQ

The only thing I don't like here is the lack of a way to fasten them to the sub....... no screws. The SVS feet come with several different size screws to make an attempt to match the threaded holes underneath the sub. Also, Amazon lists the SVS feet at $80 a set. That's crazy. SVS has them on their website for $49.

billy p
11-20-2023, 10:15 AM
The only thing I don't like here is the lack of a way to fasten them to the sub....... no screws. The SVS feet come with several different size screws to make an attempt to match the threaded holes underneath the sub. Also, Amazon lists the SVS feet at $80 a set. That's crazy. SVS has them on their website for $49.

Indeed....no hardware was included....I even reached out to seller....the two suggested methods were [a] with screw to underside of speaker or [b] with 3m adhesive disc.
I looked them over quality is high but I'm not putting adhesive on my sub and there is no work around to used screws.

Price wise that's in Canadian loonies...iirc 49.00 US at the .com site... :)