PDA

View Full Version : CBM-170SE as rear surround speakers with Sierra-1's in front?

BarryG
07-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Appreciate input on how good a sound match would result by adding a pair of CBM-170SE as rears in home theater surround system with my current Sierra-1's (orig) in front along with subwoofer. Thanks!

novaduckfan1
07-04-2023, 07:49 PM
Appreciate input on how good a sound match would result by adding a pair of CBM-170SE as rears in home theater surround system with my current Sierra-1's (orig) in front along with subwoofer. Thanks!

Hi BarryG,

I had this same set-up - LCR Sierra 1s, CBM-170SE as rear surrounds, and a subwoofer - for several years. In my experience, the CBM-170SE are very good speakers in this arrangement. I did use my NAD AVR's Dirac Live to make phase, distance and level adjustments, but I would have done so even if I had used two more Sierra-1s as surround speakers. Later I added a Sierra Horizon with RAAL and it still sounded great in combination with the Sierra-1 LR and the CBM-170s.

In short, no need to worry about matching - it would sound great.

davef
07-05-2023, 05:43 PM

Sound match is excellent, you can go with either our CBM-170's or our HTM-200's as surrounds. For nearly a decade, this was our most popular system (Sierra-1 fronts + 170 surrounds)

Hope this helps and please feel free to reach out directly.

BarryG
07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Is there a good wall mount bracket that I can screw into a single vertical wall stud and has a horizontal arm that I can screw into the threaded inserts on the back of the CBM-170SE?

The best I can come up with is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/DAGCUXIN-Universal-Speakers-Bookshelf-Brackets/dp/B0B6JQNJ6S - I would then fashion a horizontal mounting arm from 1.5in x 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar stock and screw it to the CBM-170SE threaded inserts and to the wall mount. Comments?

(I am assuming there are two threaded inserts oriented horizontally on the back of the CBM-170SE)

davef
07-20-2023, 12:32 AM
Is there a good wall mount bracket that I can screw into a single vertical wall stud and has a horizontal arm that I can screw into the threaded inserts on the back of the CBM-170SE?

The best I can come up with is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/DAGCUXIN-Universal-Speakers-Bookshelf-Brackets/dp/B0B6JQNJ6S - I would then fashion a horizontal mounting arm from 1.5in x 1/8" thick aluminum flat bar stock and screw it to the CBM-170SE threaded inserts and to the wall mount. Comments?

(I am assuming there are two threaded inserts oriented horizontally on the back of the CBM-170SE)

Hi Barry,

The mount you linked to is actually the exact mount we recommend for both our 170's and 200's :)

The latest version of the 170SE cabinet has a single threaded insert on the back:

rperry96
02-26-2024, 09:43 PM
I am getting the 170SEs as rear surrounds … and the posted mounts are no longer available ?

Any other recommendations ?

For total system, I have settled on 340 SE fronts and 170 SEs rears with a TBD sub.

Speaking of … I am getting the tower stands for the front left/right … and good recommendations for the front center horizontally positioned 340 SE.

I am building out a 13x16 old school den ( not media room) … and going against the grain by deciding against a 120” projector and getting a 98” or 100” TV … as the room will be used more like an everyday gathering place with bright lights often ((daily TV, daily sports and night movies) vs a dedicated light controlled media room used primarily for movies and sports (been there done that as well.)

And I decided against the UST projectors as well … having had a projector … I don’t think I would enjoy the always immersive experience of a 120” screen … for all viewing activities !!!!

All that said …. I think I will have 5.1 channels of audio covered well … and eventually I will add 2 in ceiling speakers.

BarryG
02-27-2024, 07:01 AM
the posted mounts are no longer available ? Any other recommendations ?

I think these are the same mounts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QJZWPQW

fwiw, I like the mounts but the included molly bolts were garbage and I provided my own

davef
02-28-2024, 02:17 AM
I think these are the same mounts: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QJZWPQW

fwiw, I like the mounts but the included molly bolts were garbage and I provided my own

Yes, these are the exact same wall mounts.

rperry96
02-28-2024, 09:31 AM
Yes, these are the exact same wall mounts.

Thanks … I just placed my order for these.

muzz
04-01-2024, 10:38 PM
This will sound awesome. I've used this exact system.