PDA

View Full Version : Ray

curtis
02-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Watched the DVD last night. Gets a recommendation from me.

I don't have any Ray Charles music....makes me want to go out and get some.

I have not read any reviews about the movie, but does anyone know if it is an accurate depiction of the events in his life? I know some are...just wonder if most of it is.

Dave Nelms
02-25-2005, 09:09 AM
I had heard rumblings that the film was pretty close to accurate. As accurate as Hollywood can be and still keep an audience interested. It was also noted that Ray Charles was also involved in the product before he died.

Anyway, I have to agree that this is a good movie. It did have a little trouble playing on my Panasonic portable player, but it plays fine on my Denon and the Elite.

The soundtrack is a good collection of music also.

curtis
02-25-2005, 11:10 AM
My Dad has a copy of the last CD from Ray Charles, "Genius Loves Company".

http://www.geniuslovescompany.com/

Needless to say, I borrowed it. Highly recommend.

bikeman
02-25-2005, 12:57 PM
"Genius Loves Company".

My wife bought me the 2 CD set. The Genius Loves Company CD is good but the other CD of some of his early stuff was definitely my favorite. The man knew how to do a song. I'll get the movie from Netflix when it becomes available.

David

curtis
02-25-2005, 01:51 PM
"Genius Loves Company".

My wife bought me the 2 CD set. The Genius Loves Company CD is good but the other CD of some of his early stuff was definitely my favorite. The man knew how to do a song. I'll get the movie from Netflix when it becomes available.

David

The movie is available now from Netflix.....just a long wait in my area.

I actually just switched to BlockBuster.

davef
02-25-2005, 02:07 PM
Hey Curtis,

I actually just switched to BlockBuster.

Do you like blockbuster better than Netflix? Netflix is getting slower and slower and I have been having more & more shipping problems.

curtis
02-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Hey Dave....

It seems with Netflix that the faster you turnaround DVD's, the slower they get. Someone posted that there is some kind of formula they use to control people such as myself.....

I just ended my Netflix account yesterday, started BlockBuster a week ago.

I switched for two reasons......they are a couple bucks cheaper per month, AND you get two free in-store rentals a month(which can be convenient, and is worth about $10). I figure the service can not be any worse than Netflix. If it is, it is easy enough to switch back.

bikeman
02-25-2005, 03:23 PM
"Someone posted that there is some kind of formula they use to control people such as myself....."

I suspected that based on my usage. When I'm returning at a good rate, my return video is slower than when I return at a slower rate as has been the case this month. I wanted to give it more time to see if the patern continued. I may be looking into switching.

David

Dave Nelms
02-25-2005, 07:07 PM
I heard that Blocbuster is a little misleading. They say they have ended their late fees but what they are doing is that they will charge your credit card for the full cost of the movie after 8 days.

I do not know if this applies to their on-line service.

curtis
02-25-2005, 07:29 PM
I better check into that with BB!

gr1m
02-27-2005, 01:04 AM
don't forget to use the 'COOPER' code if you haven't, to get 4-wks free from BB. yes, BB does have faster delivery compared to NF in my case (and I live not too far away from a hub)

curtis
03-07-2005, 03:35 PM
OK...here's the deal with the Blockbuster in-store rentals.

There is still a due date on the receipts. I kept a movie for two weeks, got an automated reminder after one week, and then after the second week, another automated reminder saying they will charge my card minus the rental fee if the movie is not returned by the next day.

I heard that Blocbuster is a little misleading. They say they have ended their late fees but what they are doing is that they will charge your credit card for the full cost of the movie after 8 days.

I do not know if this applies to their on-line service.

Quinn
03-07-2005, 06:32 PM
OK...here's the deal with the Blockbuster in-store rentals.

There is still a due date on the receipts. I kept a movie for two weeks, got an automated reminder after one week, and then after the second week, another automated reminder saying they will charge my card minus the rental fee if the movie is not returned by the next day.

If you return after that they refund you the buying the movie charge minus a restocking fee.

davef
03-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Thumbs up from both me and the wife on "Ray"... I noticed a few audio synchronization problems on some scenes where Jamie Foxx's "singing" clearly did not match up well with the soundtrack. My wife even noticed this.

All in all, great movie!

Dave Nelms
03-08-2005, 08:55 AM
I was watching the dvd on my Panasonic portable and about in the middle of the film (the scene where Ray and his band have to add another song to the set and come up with "Babby It's All Right") the scenes pixelate and freeze.

I checked this using my newer Elite and Dennon players and there was not a problem. Just a note to see if I had a bad disc or the portable is getting outdated.

GaryB
03-19-2005, 11:34 AM
Thumbs up from both me and the wife on "Ray"... I noticed a few audio synchronization problems on some scenes where Jamie Foxx's "singing" clearly did not match up well with the soundtrack. My wife even noticed this.

All in all, great movie!Are you sure that was Jamie Foxx singing in those scenes, Dave? I wonder if it was actually a case of Jamie Foxx lip-synching (less than perfectly) to a Ray Charles recording. Or is that what you actually meant? http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

My wife and I watched the movie last night and both of us were slightly disappointed. We found the dialog difficult to understand at times (especially Foxx) which is the first time this has happened with a true DD5.1 soundtrack fed through our terrific little HTM-200 center channel. In general, the sound in the first half of the movie was less than impressive, but improved later during some of the thrilling performances in the second half. At 152 minutes, the movie was also needlessly long, and then, almost as if the director suddenly realized this, it seemed to end rather abruptly.

No better than 7/10, IMHO.

Lou-the-dog
03-20-2005, 06:38 AM
Are you sure that was Jamie Foxx singing in those scenes, Dave? I wonder if it was actually a case of Jamie Foxx lip-synching (less than perfectly) to a Ray Charles recording. Or is that what you actually meant?

I took it to mean that Jamie was not always in-sinc with the recording...or vice-versa. I noticed this on occasion also.

Randy

GaryB
03-20-2005, 11:42 AM
Sorry if I was less than clear. The imperfect synchronization was certainly noticeable, but my point was that it was more likely due to old-fashioned bad lip-synching rather than a "technical" problem related to faulty synchronization of the audio and video.

Nicholas Mosher
05-19-2005, 01:35 PM
I give it http://mysite.verizon.net/nicholasmosher/star45.gif out of http://mysite.verizon.net/nicholasmosher/star5.gif.