PDA

View Full Version : Center speaker help S2 vs DUO

ilovesound
12-05-2021, 06:17 PM
Hello,

I currently have a 3.1 setup with 3 S2s. My question to the community is if the DUO LCR RIBBON MINI-MONITOR is better at being a center then my S2 center. I like the form factor more but is a better center? I know there's a few threads on this but I find people keep changing the topic to other speakers I'm not in the market for, I just want to compare the S2 and DUO ribbon. Thank you all.

ahender
12-06-2021, 04:21 AM
Hello,

I currently have a 3.1 setup with 3 S2s. My question to the community is if the DUO LCR RIBBON MINI-MONITOR is better at being a center then my S2 center. I like the form factor more but is a better center? I know there's a few threads on this but I find people keep changing the topic to other speakers I'm not in the market for, I just want to compare the S2 and DUO ribbon. Thank you all.

From a post from Dave:

“This depends. The Duo center only becomes the better center channel option compared to the Sierra-2/2EX if using a subwoofer and if the Sierra-2/2EX can only be positioned horizontally. If no sub, or if the S2 center can be placed vertically - it is not the better center.”

This applies to the current Duo. Not sure about the Duo V2.

ilovesound
12-06-2021, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the info. I do have a sub, it's a HSU and my center S2 is the horizontal center version.

Bruce Watson
12-06-2021, 05:50 AM
I currently have a 3.1 setup with 3 S2s. My question to the community is if the DUO LCR RIBBON MINI-MONITOR is better at being a center then my S2 center. I like the form factor more but is a better center?

I have an S-2 center, disconnected and boxed up, because I replaced it with a Duo when the Duo first came out (don't have physical room for the Horizon). To me the Duo is a good step up from the S-2 (horizontal, with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees). I'm using a pair of Rythmik subs, so bass handling isn't an issue with the rest of the setup.

What the Duo does better than the S-2 is make the dialog somehow crisper and cleaner. It brings dialog forward just a bit without making it louder. The end result is dialog that is more intelligible. And it's not just me -- wife hears it just the same. In fact it was her insistence that the S-2 center wasn't cutting it that got me to buy the Duo in the first place. And now she's a happy camper. What more needs be said?

racrawford65
12-06-2021, 07:43 AM
I agree with Bruce. I made the same change - from horizontal S2 to the Luna Duo. I found the same - better/clearer dialog. I am also using a pair of Rythmik E15s.

That said, I am upgrading to the Horizon with RAAL to match my Towers and because all the reviews are very positive on the Horizon. Originally, I didn't have room for the Horizon so that is why I went with the duo. But, figured I could either place the TV on top of the Horizon or build a new TV riser - I built the riser. So, just waiting on the Horizon to ship. Not sure whether to keep the Duo or sell it.

ilovesound
12-06-2021, 08:17 AM
Thanks for this. This is the kind of feed back I was hoping to hear, simple worth it or not between these two choices. I think I may have to start trying to save for this speaker. You wouldn't know if there's a trade-in program would you? My S2 center is in mint condition, would be nice if I could trade it in and get a couple hundred off.

racrawford65
12-06-2021, 08:38 AM
Thanks for this. This is the kind of feed back I was hoping to hear, simple worth it or not between these two choices. I think I may have to start trying to save for this speaker. You wouldn't know if there's a trade-in program would you? My S2 center is in mint condition, would be nice if I could trade it in and get a couple hundred off.

No official trade-in program that I am aware of. Wouldn't hurt to call Ascend and ask.

Bruce Watson
12-06-2021, 01:52 PM
...I am upgrading to the Horizon with RAAL to match my Towers and because all the reviews are very positive on the Horizon.

Keep us posted. I'm thinking I'll have to upgrade my L/R pair to RAAL towers in the not so distant future, so I'll be very interested in how you hear the upgrade from Duo to Horizon. I'll bet I'm not the only one interested in what you find out.

racrawford65
12-06-2021, 02:52 PM
Will do, Bruce. Hoping they get the cabinets in soon.

petmotel
12-07-2021, 10:42 AM

I've often watched for Ascend speakers selling online (Ebay, Audiogon, Audiomart) doesn't happen often but they usually sell very quickly and the Sierra line holds it's value quite well.

Jay

Outlaw Cajon
12-08-2021, 09:16 AM
Great thread!

I am in a similar situation now as I have a pair of HTM-200's on order to replace my existing Mirage OmniSat rear channels, and am researchng a new center channel to replace an identical OmniSat. Since, I have the Sierra Towers w/ RAAL ribbons, the Horizon would be great! Currently, however; I haven't the room for one on my shelf below my Sony TV. The Horizon is something that might come later after I upgrade to a flat panel television that I can mount on the wall freeing up the entire top shelf where my current TV sits.
I've exchanged a few emails with David discussing this, and the CMT-340 SE is a good choice from the $$$ aspect. But; the Sierra Duo LCR would be best, especially regarding my space of 8.5" ! About $900 is quite the investment! So; right now, common sense might dictate that just go ahead & buy the 340!
My internal argument here is; what if I buy the Duo now, and later on after I get a new TV and free up that top shelf, that I wish I had waited and invest in a Horizon!! Yeah.... The wheels are always turning! :rolleyes:
No quick decision here, though! Not in a big rush. My 200's won't be arriving until probably January.

I open to my fellow members thoughts here!

- Greg

racrawford65
12-08-2021, 02:01 PM
Greg,
I guess your Sony is too heavy to put on top of the Horizon (eg. Horizon on stand, TV on Horizon)?
Before ordering my Horizon, I traded emails with Dave about putting the TV directly on top of the Horizon - wasn't an issue (I did plan on putting a Symposium platform between speaker and TV, though). That said, I have a flat panel LG OLED.
Since then, I built a new TV riser and will put the Horizon on the entertainment center top shelf under the riser. Just waiting on the Horizon -- looks awfully funny with the Duo there now -- alot of open space! LOL.

Robert

msound
12-08-2021, 06:29 PM
In my experience, I also felt the dialogue was a tad bit clearer. But one drawback that I had with the Duo was the sweet spot which was a bit small for my liking (horizontal position). However when I placed the Duo vertically it absolutely fixed that problem. If you don't have the room to place the Duo horizontal, I would choose the Sierra 2 placed vertically. Do note that in my situation it was due to the center channel being only about six feet away. The closer you are the smaller the sweet spot.

Outlaw Cajon
12-11-2021, 06:31 AM
Greg,
I guess your Sony is too heavy to put on top of the Horizon (eg. Horizon on stand, TV on Horizon)?
Before ordering my Horizon, I traded emails with Dave about putting the TV directly on top of the Horizon - wasn't an issue (I did plan on putting a Symposium platform between speaker and TV, though). That said, I have a flat panel LG OLED.
Since then, I built a new TV riser and will put the Horizon on the entertainment center top shelf under the riser. Just waiting on the Horizon -- looks awfully funny with the Duo there now -- alot of open space! LOL.

Robert

Robert; Good morning! Below s a photo of my family / living room. Note; the Sony AVR is on the bottom shelf, and on the center shelf sits my Mirage center channel. Ths shelf allows about 8.25 inches of height. As it stands now; if I were to go forward with a new center channel, I would probably buy the CMT-340 SE. More affordable & practcal at this time - especially since my wife & I decided to go ahead and buy a 65" Sony that will be arrving Tuesday. The deal was just too good to ignore! Lol! So; for now, it will be sittng where the current 60" Sony Bravia KDS-60A3000 is. Hopefully in 2022, I'll wall mount it allowing for the Horizon center on the top shelf. We'll just have to wait and see with some home projects coming.

Regarding the room; from the center channel to the main couch (center) seating area, the distance is 11.5'. The Sierra Towers are 11' from center of the couch seating.

https://i.postimg.cc/Znbs9Wnz/20201112-072155-original.jpg

Another concern with a new TV on the way is connectng audio from it to my Sony ES AVR. The AVR has no HDMI and the new TV has no RCA Audio Out! Lol! I have a Toslink cable arriving today that should solve that problem. :)
I'll test it today with my current arrangement. Just so happens the Optical Audio Out on my Old Sony TV is rght next to the Audio Out where the RCA cables are.

- Greg

racrawford65
12-12-2021, 03:12 AM
Congrats on the new TV, Greg.
Best, Robert

ilovesound
12-16-2021, 09:20 AM
From a post from Dave:

“This depends. The Duo center only becomes the better center channel option compared to the Sierra-2/2EX if using a subwoofer and if the Sierra-2/2EX can only be positioned horizontally. If no sub, or if the S2 center can be placed vertically - it is not the better center.”

This applies to the current Duo. Not sure about the Duo V2.

One question, if you're saying the Sierra 2 is better if placed vertical is it as easy as just rotating the Sierra center tweeter position and standing it up? Would I need to do anything else other then that?

Mag_Neato
12-16-2021, 09:27 AM
One question, if you're saying the Sierra 2 is better if placed vertical is it as easy as just rotating the Sierra center tweeter position and standing it up? Would I need to do anything else other then that?

That's all you need to do. The only other difference between the standard Sierra-2 and if you have the center channel version, bought as a center from Ascend, is that the grill on the center version is longer so it covers the entire baffle.

ilovesound
12-16-2021, 10:11 AM
That's all you need to do. The only other difference between the standard Sierra-2 and if you have the center channel version, bought as a center from Ascend, is that the grill on the center version is longer so it covers the entire baffle.

That's great, thanks. I'm going to try this and see if it really sounds that much better standing up as the center. If it does I may just use the money I was saving for the Duo and put it towards buying EX upgrade kits for all 3 Sierras.

msound
12-16-2021, 01:06 PM
That's great, thanks. I'm going to try this and see if it really sounds that much better standing up as the center. If it does I may just use the money I was saving for the Duo and put it towards buying EX upgrade kits for all 3 Sierras.

Upgrading all three to ex and standing up the center Channel would be the preferred method in my opinion.

davef
12-16-2021, 04:13 PM
Upgrading all three to ex and standing up the center Channel would be the preferred method in my opinion.

Agree with this!

ahender
12-16-2021, 05:33 PM
Agree with this!

Does the Duo sound better vertically? I’m moving my vertical center 2-EX to a stereo room and adding back my Duo. Right now it’s oriented horizontally. Thanks.

davef
12-16-2021, 05:58 PM
Does the Duo sound better vertically? I’m moving my vertical center 2-EX to a stereo room and adding back my Duo. Right now it’s oriented horizontally. Thanks.

Basically all speakers will sound better in a room where the tweeter and midrange are located on the same vertical plane. This optimizes in-room directivity.

msound
12-16-2021, 05:59 PM
If you have the option to place either vertically, I would go with the ones that matches your right and left. Dave also mentioned this somewhere before.

ahender
12-17-2021, 07:02 AM
Basically all speakers will sound better in a room where the tweeter and midrange are located on the same vertical plane. This optimizes in-room directivity.

Thank you. I will wait to do this after the upgrade kit becomes available.

Mag_Neato
12-17-2021, 08:27 AM
Thank you. I will wait to do this after the upgrade kit becomes available.

Are you referring to the Sierra-2 to -2EX upgrade kit?

ahender
12-17-2021, 10:49 AM
Are you referring to the Sierra-2 to -2EX upgrade kit?

Duo upgrade kit.

Outlaw Cajon
12-18-2021, 03:24 AM
As I wait on my 200's from Ascend, I now have my new 65" Sony in place, and I ponder a new center channel. As you can see in the photos, the middle shelf holds my current Mirage OmniSat.
That is where my new center will also rest. I suppose to get the best sound, I will need to tilt the DUO up. The approximate distance from where the RAAL tweeter would be in the DUO is 17" to the top edge of the RAAL's in my Sierra Towers. The Tower RAAL's are ear level.

https://i.postimg.cc/YCVDKzyZ/20211218-045237.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/bwdVBBL1/20211218-045419.jpg

- Greg

racrawford65
12-18-2021, 05:13 AM
Looks good, Greg.
By the way, what TT/amp/phono stage are you using?

Outlaw Cajon
12-18-2021, 05:51 AM
Looks good, Greg.
By the way, what TT/amp/phono stage are you using?

Thank you, Robert!

Turntable: George Merrill PolyTable with Digital Motor Drive, Jelco SA-750E tonearm, Audio Quest Wildcat tonearm cable, and Ortofon 2M Bronze MM cartridge.
Amplifier: Jolida JD302CRC Integrated (EL34) running JJ input tubes, and currently, EH EL34 output tubes.
Phono stage: Hagerman Cornet3 with Mullard tubes.

- Greg

theophile
12-18-2021, 07:21 AM
Thank you, Robert!

Turntable: George Merrill PolyTable with Digital Motor Drive, Jelco SA-750E tonearm, Audio Quest Wildcat tonearm cable, and Ortofon 2M Bronze MM cartridge.
Amplifier: Jolida JD302CRC Integrated (EL34) running JJ input tubes, and currently, EH EL34 output tubes.
Phono stage: Hagerman Cornet3 with Mullard tubes.

- Greg

Greg,

Wonderful set-up...must sound Great!!! :)

Ted

racrawford65
12-18-2021, 10:28 AM
I agree with Ted - nice setup Greg

Outlaw Cajon
12-19-2021, 06:27 AM
Greg,

Wonderful set-up...must sound Great!!! :)

Ted

Thank you very much, Ted! :) Your system looks really nice, as well, and bet it sounds great!
I am quite pleased with the sound. I love my Sierra Towers! Everything works in harmony with no surprises. The Jolida has a Bypass switch that connects RCA cables to my Sony AVR's Surround Pre-Out. The Jolida only powers the towers. The Sony powers the center and rear channels, & subwoofer. So; when we are watching a Blu-ray, DVD audio/video or something in 5.1 on TV, I switch on the Jolida's Bypass, and the Sony AVR takes over with volume control over the entire system. The easy thng to do to simplify everything would be to just sell the Jolida, and run everything through my AVR. Ha!! But; that's not going to happen. I love my tube amp! The only real downside is my subwoofer is not part of my record or CD listening. The sub is connected solely to the AVR via a sub cable. So; in the 13 months of ownership, I have never heard the towers with a subwoofer!! With that said; I am pretty much constantly thrilled with the bass the towers do offer! Never overwhelming, but, ever present. Whether it be a vinyl record or compact disc, those speakers deliver! And, my musical tastes range from The Carpenters to Rush to ELP to Porcupine Tree + Steven Wilson :cool: to Weather Report and Beyond!
Unlike a lot of us, my stereo rig is right there in the family room with my Video side! Lol! Not a real problem, though. Our evening hours are usually in front of the TV. My music listening is done mostly during the daytime. But; not always.
Our bonus room is our dedicated pool room. :cool: I have several friends that have their stereo setup in their bonus room - which I think is really cool!

Outlaw Cajon
12-19-2021, 07:42 AM
I agree with Ted - nice setup Greg

Thanks Robert!
A couple of things that I would like to do in the future, after my 200's arrive and I make a decision on a new center channel... is upgrade my Sony ES AVR. When I purchased it in 2006 or 2007, it was one of the best! Lol! Now; after some shopping, I realized how so much has evolved over the years with all the HDMI connections, streaming, and other things!
It became quiet apparent when shopping for a new TV, and discovered no RCA Audio Out!! Yikes!! And, of course; my Sony AVR doesn't have a single HDMI! And, I was fool enough to believe connecting the optical cable would be so easy!
Somehow, I did finally get my settings on the Sony right to achieve audio. This took a couple of days off and on attempts, and too much frustration! :rolleyes: I was so close to throwing in the towel, and began looking at the latest AVR's. It didn't take long to discover that I would need to spend close to $1,000 or more to buy one that offered the same horsepower & specifications that my ES has. It's a damn good thing that I got mine working!!! Ha!! A new AVR was not in the forecast.
Thing is; using an Optical cable with the Sony, the TV remote and the Firestick remote do not function. I have to use my ES remote. A new AVR is in the future. For now, however, I will make do. ;)

Pictured is the current setting on the ES that is delivering glorious 5.1! Yay!!!

https://i.postimg.cc/7PQ31hZ1/20211219-093216.jpg

racrawford65
12-19-2021, 10:59 AM
Hey Greg,

You may want to check usaudiomart for AVRs.. you may be able to find a good deal on an Anthem MRXx20 - older model now that the new ones are out.

As to hooking up the subwoofer to your Jolida, a couple of suggestions as not 100% sure how you have things wired:
a) use the fixed output on the Jolida to the sub amp in
b) use a y-cable from the Jolida - run one y to the Sony, the other to the sub
c) maybe look into a miniDSP and see about integrating it into your system (I use the 10x10 model, run the 2nd fixed output L&R from my RP5 to 2 of the miniDSP inputs and run the subout from my MRX720 into another input. I run 5 outs from the miniDSP -- 1 to each of my 2 E15 line ins for use with music, 1 to each of my 2 E15 LFE Ins + 1 to an old Outlaw sub for movies).
d) maybe look into a dspeaker anti-mode to see if that would work to integrate the sub into both systems. I have the 8033S-II that I've used in the past to room correct my subs. Really nice system and automatically EQ's the sub(s). No need to use REW like with the miniDSP option.

Outlaw Cajon
12-20-2021, 08:19 AM
Hey Greg,

You may want to check usaudiomart for AVRs.. you may be able to find a good deal on an Anthem MRXx20 - older model now that the new ones are out.

As to hooking up the subwoofer to your Jolida, a couple of suggestions as not 100% sure how you have things wired:
a) use the fixed output on the Jolida to the sub amp in
b) use a y-cable from the Jolida - run one y to the Sony, the other to the sub
c) maybe look into a miniDSP and see about integrating it into your system (I use the 10x10 model, run the 2nd fixed output L&R from my RP5 to 2 of the miniDSP inputs and run the subout from my MRX720 into another input. I run 5 outs from the miniDSP -- 1 to each of my 2 E15 line ins for use with music, 1 to each of my 2 E15 LFE Ins + 1 to an old Outlaw sub for movies).
d) maybe look into a dspeaker anti-mode to see if that would work to integrate the sub into both systems. I have the 8033S-II that I've used in the past to room correct my subs. Really nice system and automatically EQ's the sub(s). No need to use REW like with the miniDSP option.

Wow!! :) Thank you, Robert! I saw this post around 4 this morning, and the wheels starting turning! Went back to bed after looking at the back of the Jolida. Sure enough! There's a Fixed Output! Never paid much attention to 'that' before! :rolleyes: I should have known my night of sleep was over. Lol! Got up about 20 mintues later, and began checking my cable supply for a 'Y' cable. Low and behold, I had one!
Quietly,,,, I detached the subwoofer cable from the back of the sub, leaving the end still connected to the Sony AVR. 'Connected up the 'Y' cable, & patiently waited about an hour and a half for my wife to get up! Ha! Almost like being a kid on Christmas morning waiting for Mom & Dad to get up!! :o

I fired up the Jolida, and decided to begin with a CD; Brian Wilson's "Imagination". Immediate first impression; turn the subwoofer level down! Also; dialed the frequency up to about 45. Seems like good settings right now. I am very impressed! That Mirage S-10 has good punch! But; now running with the Sierra Towers is just too cool! A whole other dimension, and it was all here all along! Lol! Man!!

Sometmes, we all just need a liitle help from our friends to get pointed in the right direction!
After Brian Wilson, I switched to the PolyTable to play "Go" by Go from 1976. A great record featuring Stomu Yamashta, Steve Winwood, Al Di Meola, Michael Shrieve, & Klaus Schulze among others!

http://https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(band)

'Also had a look at what was available @ USA Audio Mart. I'll be keeping a look out over there in the future.

Thanks for all your help, Robert! It is greatly appreciated!

....... It doesn't look like I'm finished yet. I thought being connected from the Jolida to the sub, while running HT Bypass, in 5.1 (with the Sony AVR on), the subwoofer would be actvated. Nope. I'll need to investigate further later. Trying your option B.

racrawford65
12-20-2021, 10:51 AM
Greg,
Sorry about disrupting your beauty sleep :D

I found the owner's manuals on-line. Try the variable output on the Jolida instead of the fixed as a first step. See if you get bass when using the Sony now. Sorry about that - my Rogue uses the fixed.

The other option may be to put the y in the sub input and run a cable from the Jolida to one side of the Y and one from the Sony to the other.

Best
Robert

Outlaw Cajon
12-23-2021, 05:43 AM
Greg,
Sorry about disrupting your beauty sleep :D

I found the owner's manuals on-line. Try the variable output on the Jolida instead of the fixed as a first step. See if you get bass when using the Sony now. Sorry about that - my Rogue uses the fixed.

The other option may be to put the y in the sub input and run a cable from the Jolida to one side of the Y and one from the Sony to the other.

Best
Robert

Lol! Not at all, Robert! :p I was up for a drink, anyway. My phone and tablet are not in the bedroom.
I tried the 'Variable' out. No luck. For now, at least through the holiday's, I will just attach and detach the cable from the subwoofer between the Jolida & the Sony! So simple!! I grow weary of all of this... Lol!
It's nice now, to just sit back and enjoy!! :cool:

Oh! I looked at the Anthem AVR's! Very nice!!! I may set my sights on that 100wpc 5.1 model!
Thanks for mentioning the brand!!

racrawford65
12-23-2021, 01:10 PM
You're welcome, Greg.
Have a great Christmas!

racrawford65
01-10-2022, 02:45 PM
My Horizon in Black Matte arrived today. I did make a slight error when ordering as my Towers are satin black bamboo but luckily can't see much of the Horizon cabinet & the black matte matches my Rythmik E15s, so not a big deal (unless my OCD kicks in).

Beautiful speaker. Even knowing the measurements and weight, bigger and heavier than expected. The DUO is tiny in comparison (I've already boxed it up otherwise I would take some pictures comparing the two -- although I think someone has posted similar before).

Need to level match (and maybe run Anthem ARC) then watch some movies. Hopefully in the next day or two (luckily still working from home).

racrawford65
01-11-2022, 04:04 PM
I did a quick level match yesterday afternoon and watched one movie (James Bond Spectre) as patience isn't one of my virtues :). Still need to watch a few more movies, but my first impression is very positive. In my room/system, front sound stage was even more coherent, soundtrack more impactful, and dialog very clear with the new Horizon.

billy p
01-11-2022, 04:51 PM
I did a quick level match yesterday afternoon and watched one movie (James Bond Spectre) as patience isn't one of my virtues :). Still need to watch a few more movies, but my first impression is very positive. In my room/system, front sound stage was even more coherent, soundtrack more impactful, and dialog very clear with the new Horizon.

Exactly...my take from the standard horizon to RAAL...more coherent and dialogue was prestine. You're getting that added level of impact and better mid bass with this unit

billy p
01-21-2022, 08:32 AM
Any further evaluation on the horizon since your initial impression?:)

racrawford65
01-22-2022, 07:10 AM
Sorry for delay in responding, billy p. Still out of the country. Did watch one more movie before leaving (Time to Die, latest Bond flick). Did confirm my initial impressions

MDinno
02-08-2022, 05:21 PM
Which one performs the best off-axis between the sierra 1 or 2 center and the Duo?

davef
02-09-2022, 06:42 PM
Which one performs the best off-axis between the sierra 1 or 2 center and the Duo?

Many variables to this question. Are you able to provide more detail regarding your setup?

How far back will you be sitting from the center?

How far off-axis from the center (to the left or right) would you be sitting?

Will you be using a subwoofer?

Will the speakers be positioned horizontally or vertically?

MDinno
02-12-2022, 02:54 AM
Many variables to this question. Are you able to provide more detail regarding your setup?

How far back will you be sitting from the center?

How far off-axis from the center (to the left or right) would you be sitting?

Will you be using a subwoofer?

Will the speakers be positioned horizontally or vertically?

I don't have anything yet in terms of speakers. I've upgraded everything else. Speakers is the only thing left and the center is the hardest one. We're moving next year to get out of this leftest state and have no idea what the configurations of the room will be. Just trying to get as much information as I could so I make the right decisions. Loudness isn't too important to me so I'll trade linearity for SPL.

bkdc
02-13-2022, 12:54 PM
Just wanted the original poster to clarify… when he tried vertical vs horizontal placement of his duo as center, that he rotated the tweeter.

I had a question for Dave, and I don't recall seeing the data elsewhere. Sounds like a nasty injury. I hope you're feeling better. Every breath must hurt so badly.

I see the Duo LCR horizontal and vertical off axis graphs on the Ascend website. I assume the measurements were made with the speaker in vertical orientation. Is there a off-axis graph/listening window for the Duo used in horizontal orientation (center channel orientation)? Would the nulls/voids from the two woofers even be representably measured on such a graph?

davef
02-16-2022, 06:32 PM
I don't have anything yet in terms of speakers. I've upgraded everything else. Speakers is the only thing left and the center is the hardest one. We're moving next year to get out of this leftest state and have no idea what the configurations of the room will be. Just trying to get as much information as I could so I make the right decisions. Loudness isn't too important to me so I'll trade linearity for SPL.

In this case, since you are not familiar with the room or placement, it would likely be best to revisit this once you have some info about the room and placement. I would say, in all situations, the Duo and Sierra-2 will perform better off-axis as a center compared to the Sierra-1, due to the very wide dispersion of the RAAL ribbon. With a horizontal listening window of +/- 20 degrees, the Duo center would be the better choice. If you need wider than that window, the Sierra-2/2EX would likely be the better choice.

davef
02-16-2022, 06:48 PM
Just wanted the original poster to clarify… when he tried vertical vs horizontal placement of his duo as center, that he rotated the tweeter.

I had a question for Dave, and I don't recall seeing the data elsewhere. Sounds like a nasty injury. I hope you're feeling better. Every breath must hurt so badly.

I see the Duo LCR horizontal and vertical off axis graphs on the Ascend website. I assume the measurements were made with the speaker in vertical orientation. Is there a off-axis graph/listening window for the Duo used in horizontal orientation (center channel orientation)? Would the nulls/voids from the two woofers even be representably measured on such a graph?

Thanks for the kind words, I am back to basically 100%. Lungs are fine, occasionally some residual rib pain in the area of the breaks - for which I will likely have to live with, but that is not an issue for me.

I did post the CEA-2034 measurements of the Duo V2 in a horizontal position. That thread is a mess so I will link to it directly:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2093&d=1630470948

You can see the null caused by having dual woofers in the same off-axis plane in the sound power and listening window measurements.