PDA

View Full Version : To Grill or not to Grill

davethedyer
10-12-2021, 09:56 AM
Looking for opinions whether or not to keep grills on or off for aesthetics mainly. I guess many spouses would be involved in this decision. :D

Pogre
10-12-2021, 11:13 AM
I run mine nekked.

theophile
10-12-2021, 12:40 PM
Looking for opinions whether or not to keep grills on or off for aesthetics mainly. I guess many spouses would be involved in this decision. :D

Strictly your choice! Believe all Ascend Acoustic speakers have by design, acoustically transparent grills that any differences are only measurable, but difficult to "hear"!

To me, I hear no audible differences grilled or not. However, my Sierra-2EX grills stay On, as I have younger grandsons with inquiring minds (and fingers)! ;)

Ted

curtis
10-12-2021, 02:46 PM
I have always kept the grilles on with my Ascend speakers. I hear no difference, and I felt safer when my kids were younger (I never showed them what was underneath).

Now they are much older, and it is just habit. I would rather the grilles get dusty and not have to dust the drivers.

petmotel
10-12-2021, 03:13 PM
My dog tends to be a "slobber slinger", grilles on for me. Even though the drivers are amazing, and the front baffles are so well finished, I've always thought speakers just look cleaner and more refined with grilles, JMHO.

Jay

racrawford65
10-12-2021, 03:46 PM
Grills on for me.

davethedyer
10-12-2021, 04:17 PM
Doesn't anyone like the look of the bronze colored aluminum phase plug on the midrange?

davethedyer
10-12-2021, 04:25 PM
I run mine nekked.

;):):)

natetg57
10-12-2021, 05:59 PM
Doesn't anyone like the look of the bronze colored aluminum phase plug on the midrange?

absolutely. I keep my grills off my of my Sierra-2EX and Lunas

davethedyer
10-12-2021, 07:48 PM
absolutely. I keep my covers off of my sierra-2ex and lunas

:):)

mikesiskav
10-12-2021, 09:13 PM
No grills here.

Pogre
10-13-2021, 06:08 AM
I have always kept the grilles on with my Ascend speakers. I hear no difference, and I felt safer when my kids were younger (I never showed them what was underneath).

Now they are much older, and it is just habit. I would rather the grilles get dusty and not have to dust the drivers.

You know what works great for dusting speakers? Good ol' swiffer wand. Works great for gloss finishes and dusty speaker grilles too! I can dust my whole front stage in about 2 minutes and never worry about micro scuffs and scratches.

Mag_Neato
10-13-2021, 06:37 AM
Since my EX's are in a dedicated listening room with no kids/pets running around, I leave the grills off. I can admire the copper phase plug and RAAL ribbon while enjoying the sound!

theophile
10-13-2021, 08:53 AM
Since my EX's are in a dedicated listening room with no kids/pets running around, I leave the grills off. I can admire the copper phase plug and RAAL ribbon while enjoying the sound!

Like Ed, I also have a dedicated sound room, but sometimes forget to keep the door closed when the grandsons are around (they know the rules, but 7 year olds quickly forget)...thus, Grills On!!

Yes, the Sierra-2EX are Very Cool to look at (and take pics of). However, when listening to my music library, my visual attention is usually tuned to the huge live venue ambiance of the soundstage, as I can easily visualize the musician and singer placements, spacial clues, and physical presence in the deep and wide holographic presentation that the 2EX portray! What I See (stereo & small room) vs What I Hear (Stepping Into Carnegie Hall) is simply...Mind Blowing!!! ;)

Ted

curtis
10-13-2021, 01:27 PM
You know what works great for dusting speakers? Good ol' swiffer wand. Works great for gloss finishes and dusty speaker grilles too! I can dust my whole front stage in about 2 minutes and never worry about micro scuffs and scratches.
Got it. But what's better is if you have no reason to dust it. :D

OK...I hate house cleaning!

petmotel
10-13-2021, 01:41 PM
When it's just music, I get so caught up in it, I often close my eyes and imagine the venue and the musicians.

Of course when a movie is playing, not looking at the speakers then either. Clothed or naked I love how my Ascends look and especially how they sound, stunning either way!

Jay

briand
10-14-2021, 06:40 AM
Grill off if kids-pets-spouse aren't issue. Shows more finished cabinet and just looks nicer. In fact, I only considered speakers that were finished in the front since I think it looks nicer.

loafer
10-15-2021, 01:10 PM
Amazing how important aesthetics are. The basement is supposed to be "mine" but it is still subject to spousal design standards (SDS). I think the Sierra2EX speakers look very sharp with the grill covers on. They look a bit more "industrial" with them off, even with the new woofer, but that would not pass the SDS. Regarding sound quality, I am going to try an A/B test just for fun, but I am predicting that I will not be able to tell the difference. +1 to Pogre for swiffer idea.

davethedyer
10-15-2021, 06:18 PM
Amazing how important aesthetics are. The basement is supposed to be "mine" but it is still subject to spousal design standards (SDS). I think the Sierra2EX speakers look very sharp with the grill covers on. They look a bit more "industrial" with them off, even with the new woofer, but that would not pass the SDS. Regarding sound quality, I am going to try an A/B test just for fun, but I am predicting that I will not be able to tell the difference. +1 to Pogre for swiffer idea.

This was the my favorite response thus far. I too am subject to similar SDS's. The kitchen is not subject to my SDS though LOL.

petmotel
10-16-2021, 07:46 AM

Probably a more relevant question would be who in their right mind wouldn't like that elegant bullet in the middle of the Tower/Horizon mid range driver or the EX woofers? EVERYONE loves those things, they are so sophisticated, they just say "I pity the driver that doesn't have a phase plug"! A bit over the top?

Jay

curtis
10-16-2021, 08:20 AM
Probably a more relevant question would be who in their right mind wouldn't like that elegant bullet in the middle of the Tower/Horizon mid range driver or the EX woofers? EVERYONE loves those things, they are so sophisticated, they just say "I pity the driver that doesn't have a phase plug"! A bit over the top?

What cracks me up are drivers that have fake phase plugs.

It reminded me that I was involved in this thread 15 years ago..
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/drivers-with-stationary-streamlined-phase-plugs.721421/

theophile
10-16-2021, 04:38 PM

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/drivers-with-stationary-streamlined-phase-plugs.721421/

Cool Thread, Curtis! :cool:

mikesiskav
10-16-2021, 08:42 PM

How did you find that thread after 15 years? :)

curtis
10-17-2021, 09:09 AM
How did you find that thread after 15 years? :)
LOL!

I had remembered, and decided to see if I could google it. I think I just googled "fake phase plug" and it showed up.