PDA

View Full Version : Recommended sub for room

jml525
10-08-2020, 04:56 PM
Hello, I am looking for recommendations of subs for my particular room. It is 3800 cubic ft. air space. I spoke with enrico of the phone and he recommended 2 fv15ph however my wife would kill me(lol), but maybe. I can probably get away with 2 f18's but she would like the e15hp's, but will these sealed subs be enough? 75%ht/25%music. I don't even own a subwoofer as of now and that is why I am looking for some expert advice.
Thanks

racrawford65
10-09-2020, 06:05 AM
If she’d kill you for the 15’s, might be a slow painful death with 2 18’s 😊. 2 e15’s should be fine in your space. I have these in a 16x12x11 which opens behind into foyer then dining room (same size) and den to the left (about 24x20x11) and they work very well for me

Bruce Watson
10-09-2020, 08:16 AM
Hello, I am looking for recommendations of subs for my particular room. It is 3800 cubic ft. air space. I spoke with enrico of the phone and he recommended 2 fv15ph...

I've got a pair of LVX12s in a considerably smaller space (13.5' x 21' x 8', about 2250 cuft). Sealed space -- closed doors at all entrances. I can say that I needed the pair. Room modes were somewhat hard to control; I doubt I could have made a sufficiently large "sweet spot" without two subs. As to size, for my room and usage I've got plenty of sub wooferage, others would wonder how I could live with so little. But the highest I've ever had my system for extended listening is -10dB on the master volume. I just don't listen as loud as other people do.

Much depends on whether your 3800 cuft is sealed or not. If it's part of an "open plan" then it's not sealed and you probably need more sub power than your measure of 3800 cuft would lead you to believe.

Personally, I'd always go with servo subs. Then, servos being the case, I'd go with ported subs. Why? For HT you can make good use of that extra umph on the very bottom, and for music the fact that they are servos makes it very easy to integrate the subs with your mains. IOW, you gain something from ported for HT, and you don't loose much at all from music. At least that's been my experience with my LVX12s in my smaller room.

So... given what little I know about your case, I'd listen to Enrico and go with a pair of the FV15HPs. They are the biggest bang for the buck in subwoofers IMHO.

As to WAF, my experience here is that you'll meet some early resistance (mostly based on the visuals, which is ironic in its way), but this will fade. Once I got my system tuned up (took a couple of weeks of faffing about) and chose some appropriate demo material for my wife (hint: that typically means not demoing max power output, but instead demoing how the subs add realism to subtle things like car door slams, thunder in a rain storm, a book dropping on a table, etc. Women tend not to be favorably impressed with explosions or building collapses, just sayin'), she began to "get it". After a bit she didn't even notice the subs were in the room, but she's quick to complain if for some reason they aren't active. She's as well and truly addicted to them as I am, but for entirely different reasons.

davef
10-12-2020, 11:22 PM
Hello, I am looking for recommendations of subs for my particular room. It is 3800 cubic ft. air space. I spoke with enrico of the phone and he recommended 2 fv15ph however my wife would kill me(lol), but maybe. I can probably get away with 2 f18's but she would like the e15hp's, but will these sealed subs be enough? 75%ht/25%music. I don't even own a subwoofer as of now and that is why I am looking for some expert advice.
Thanks

For this size room, you definitely do NOT need (2) FV15HP subs. A single FV15HP would be terrific - (2) E15HP's would also be plenty.

What speakers will you be using with the sub(s)?

jml525
10-13-2020, 04:09 PM
For this size room, you definitely do NOT need (2) FV15HP subs. A single FV15HP would be terrific - (2) E15HP's would also be plenty.

What speakers will you be using with the sub(s)?

Hey guys thanks for the input I really appreciate the advice given so far. My current setup is an arcam avr10 paradigm signature 40v.3 mains and a c3v.3 matching center and paradigm studio 40v.3 as surrounds. I don't even own a sub and never have(Lol). Currently I am strongly leaning towards 2 F18's in piano gloss to match the finish of the rest of my speakers. If I had my way I would get 2 fv15hp's but as I stated, WAF will kill me. I actually made a template and set my studio 40s on top of the imaginary F18's and she was ok with it.......so idk. I'd like to go ported as I know they perform better but, happy wife happy life as my dad says. Will 2 f18's crush this place(i hope)?
Thanks guys

SunByrne
10-13-2020, 08:05 PM
I don't even own a sub and never have(Lol).

Ahh, a virgin. Well, the first time you listen to a movie that really works the low end, it'll be life-changing. Well, OK, maybe not life-changing, but it's quite an experience. Actually going from nothing to two F18s really might be life-changing, I can only imagine.

Currently I am strongly leaning towards 2 F18's in piano gloss to match the finish of the rest of my speakers. If I had my way I would get 2 fv15hp's but as I stated, WAF will kill me.

If she's letting you fork out $3.7k for a pair of F18s, you're really doing incredibly well on the WAF thing. :-) It's not like F18s are actually small or anything...

I actually made a template and set my studio 40s on top of the imaginary F18's and she was ok with it.......so idk.

Setting your speakers physically on top of your subwoofers is generally not recommended; Dave can give you technical details on this.

I'd like to go ported as I know they perform better

Hmm, not sure I agree there. Ported vs. sealed are different, but one isn't necessarily better than the other. Porting is, in some sense, a trick to get more low-frequency response out of a speaker. You get more SPL per watt at around the port frequency, but you get a steeper fall-off below that, so it's more an issue of what you're looking for than one being absolutely better than the other. My HT sub is sealed and it's fine.

Will 2 f18's crush this place(i hope)?

Yes, easily. As Dave said, you'd probably be more than fine with a pair of E15HPs. Frankly, a pair of FVX12s would probably even do the trick, especially if you're coming from zero subs. Enrico is a great guy, but his recommendations are generally based on listening at reference-level volume (or higher), which is CRAZY loud. Since you're going even bigger than his recommendation, yes, it'll crush your place.

Hide all pets and small children. :cool:

racrawford65
10-14-2020, 03:19 AM
Agree with SunByrne on all his points. I, too, don't think ported are better than sealed, just different. I use dual E15s and work great for both HT and Music.

jml525
10-14-2020, 05:13 AM
Agree with SunByrne on all his points. I, too, don't think ported are better than sealed, just different. I use dual E15s and work great for both HT and Music.

How big is your room if you don't mind me asking? What are your listening levels?

jml525
10-14-2020, 05:15 AM
Sunbyrne thank you for all the info. It is reassuring knowing that this will be plenty subwoofer. Better to have too much than not enough right. On the point of placing speakers on top of subwoofers, why is this a bad idea? falling off? If you isolate the speaker from the subwoofer wouldn't it be just like having full range tower speakers in front of you?
thanks

racrawford65
10-14-2020, 08:09 AM
How big is your room if you don't mind me asking? What are your listening levels?

My room is 16x12x11 (11 foot is average as it is tiered) - so ~2100 cubic feet. However, it is open to the rear to a foyer then dining room (~925 + 2100 cubic feet = 3025 cubic feet) and den to the left (looking towards the front, den is around 23 x 20 x 10 or 4600 cubic feet). So, in total, around 9700-9800 cubic feet.

As to listening levels, depends on source and if wife is around. Music (vinyl) somewhere generally around -30 to -40, movies around -20 to -25 if wife is home. If she's out, I may turn up by 10 or so.

jml525
10-14-2020, 03:54 PM
My room is 16x12x11 (11 foot is average as it is tiered) - so ~2100 cubic feet. However, it is open to the rear to a foyer then dining room (~925 + 2100 cubic feet = 3025 cubic feet) and den to the left (looking towards the front, den is around 23 x 20 x 10 or 4600 cubic feet). So, in total, around 9700-9800 cubic feet.

As to listening levels, depends on source and if wife is around. Music (vinyl) somewhere generally around -30 to -40, movies around -20 to -25 if wife is home. If she's out, I may turn up by 10 or so.

So 2 e15's (are they the hp's) obviously do well in this room? Why was I advised 2 fv15's from Enrico? I suppose he was just trying to make sure that I had crushing bass at reference levels(lol), idk.

jml525
10-14-2020, 03:55 PM
Ahh, a virgin. Well, the first time you listen to a movie that really works the low end, it'll be life-changing. Well, OK, maybe not life-changing, but it's quite an experience. Actually going from nothing to two F18s really might be life-changing, I can only imagine.

If she's letting you fork out $3.7k for a pair of F18s, you're really doing incredibly well on the WAF thing. :-) It's not like F18s are actually small or anything...

Setting your speakers physically on top of your subwoofers is generally not recommended; Dave can give you technical details on this.

Hmm, not sure I agree there. Ported vs. sealed are different, but one isn't necessarily better than the other. Porting is, in some sense, a trick to get more low-frequency response out of a speaker. You get more SPL per watt at around the port frequency, but you get a steeper fall-off below that, so it's more an issue of what you're looking for than one being absolutely better than the other. My HT sub is sealed and it's fine.

Yes, easily. As Dave said, you'd probably be more than fine with a pair of E15HPs. Frankly, a pair of FVX12s would probably even do the trick, especially if you're coming from zero subs. Enrico is a great guy, but his recommendations are generally based on listening at reference-level volume (or higher), which is CRAZY loud. Since you're going even bigger than his recommendation, yes, it'll crush your place.

Hide all pets and small children. :cool:

Sunbyrne thank you for all the info. It is reassuring knowing that this will be plenty subwoofer. Better to have too much than not enough right. On the point of placing speakers on top of subwoofers, why is this a bad idea? falling off? If you isolate the speaker from the subwoofer wouldn't it be just like having full range tower speakers in front of you?
thanks

racrawford65
10-14-2020, 04:09 PM
So 2 e15's (are they the hp's) obviously do well in this room? Why was I advised 2 fv15's from Enrico? I suppose he was just trying to make sure that I had crushing bass at reference levels(lol), idk.

E15's, not the HP2 with the HX1000 amp. Work fine for me. I am mainly music with the occasional movie. Not one of those movie watchers that want to strongly "feel" the bass.