PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh Houston, we have a problem....

muzz
07-11-2020, 03:33 PM
I ordered the Sierra S1 to S2EX upgrade kits....I have OLD S1's, so they don't use Phillips to screw down the crossover, but a small Torx screw....OK, I figured that out....BUT.....bigger problem....
The newer S2 EX XO board is much larger than the old S1 crossover, and the hole spacing isn't even close, like an inch wider on the S2EX Board....:rolleyes:

What have folks done besides buy a right angle drill to screw something down?

Thanks

G

muzz
07-11-2020, 03:48 PM
Not only wider, but longer hole spacing as well

Mag_Neato
07-11-2020, 10:00 PM
I had the same issue. I had to use self tapping wood screws with a stubby screwdriver so I could get my hand in the correct position to screw the down. I used 5/8" Spax screws. They threaded into the bamboo with no problem. I used 1 of the original torx screws as a starting point.

Unfortunately, the bigger issue will likely be the new woofer's mounting flange will have a larger OD than the Sierra-1 woofer, and you will need to enlarge the cutout in the cabinet to allow it to fit. That was not fun but I didn't have the right tools handy and improvised. But I scratched the finish around the cutout. Check that before you get too far into the upgrade.

muzz
07-12-2020, 11:56 AM
Do you remember what size 5/8" spax screws? #10, 8 etc?
When you mention enlarging the cutout, are you referring to the inner(basket hitting) or the outer?

Thanks for your help.

Mag_Neato
07-12-2020, 04:39 PM
Not sure of size, #8 sounds like it could be right.
The larger outer diameter of the cutout is what I had to enlarge. I did not have the proper tools so I started out with one of those wheels that have the sand paper flaps bonded to the arbor. It was not a good choice. I also used a utility knife to try carving it out. Ultimately I got it to fit but I scratched up the finish of the natural bamboo. Not sure how I would approach it if I had to do it again.

muzz
07-12-2020, 04:52 PM
I was hoping you were going to say the inside... I'm not sure how a hand router would do with Bamboo. ��

Thanks!

Mag_Neato
07-13-2020, 05:10 AM
I don't think you would have any unusual issues with bamboo, but I've not tried that.

I discovered the misfit issue after I had everything else done...... crossover, binding post connections, insulation back in. I had to remove all of that before I could try enlarging the woofer cutout. I hope I at least saved you the hassle of that! Fortunately I only had the 1st speaker assembled like that.

muzz
07-13-2020, 06:20 AM
I'll figure something out Ed, appreciate the input bud.
Thanks Again,

Gary

natetg57
07-13-2020, 09:51 AM
I only needed to do a little but I used sandpaper and carefully opened up the hole a bit

Mag_Neato
07-13-2020, 10:12 AM
I only needed to do a little but I used sandpaper and carefully opened up the hole a bit

What generation are your cabinets? Mine were from the very first Sierra-1's sold. Did yours have the old fiberglass insulation housed in black mesh glued to the inside of the cabinet, or the later white Dacron batting?

natetg57
07-13-2020, 10:33 AM
Mine are not the first generation, but the Sierra-2 woofers were very snug. It might've been just a little extra finish. It's been a long time!

muzz
07-13-2020, 11:05 AM
Mine have the Black Mesh over insulation glued to the inside of the cabinet, was concerned I was gonna smash my knuckles when it broke free.

muzz
09-10-2020, 10:12 PM
This upgrade has been really poor, I'm REALLY Surprised at this...🙄🤔
The driver opening had to be grounded out, and the actual Bolt pattern is wrong because of the bigger cage.🙄
The new XO board is much larger, doesn't line up...need self tapper's to screw it down...
C'mon Man.....🤔🙄

NOTHING in that UG Kit mentioned this....🙄
I've been a HUGE preponent of Ascend, but this is pathetic.... 👎This "Upgrade" isn't even REMOTELY CLOSE to just a swap..., It's a modify EVERYTHING to make it work...
Sorry, I'm not feeling it.👎
BAH... C'mon Man.....

You can't fit a 6" basket in a 5 1/4 basket hole pattern unless there's a miracle, or you move the mounting screws in on the basket...you haven't provided it Dave...
This is beyond pissing me off.
This should NEVER have been called an S1 "Upgrade kit", it's NOT, WITHOUT MASSIVE WORK!.

muzz
09-10-2020, 10:25 PM
BTW, those different lug SIZES on the new Driver SHOULD have been mentioned as well...
C'mon Man... 🤔
I LOVE ASCEND, these things I've mentioned are TRUE, they are harsh, and I'd NEVER want that, but this is reality....🤔🙄

Mag_Neato
09-11-2020, 04:38 AM
Oh man, sorry to hear you had all that trouble. I did warn you in my previous posts about those 1st gen cabinets having the very issues you ran into. Did you use the SPAX self tappers I mentioned, or another type?

I was aggravated when I did the Sierra-2 upgrade and ran into these issues. I posted about it and described how I solved them to try to help others who run into the same thing. I don't recall having an issue with the screw holes for the woofer flange being moved, but maybe it was a non issue for me and I blocked it out of my memory?

Anyway, I hope the improved performance of the EX upgrade will overshadow your frustration. I love mine!

JustABrah
09-11-2020, 10:36 AM
When I installed the upgrade kits from a S1 to the S2 it was very smooth and easy, when I upgrade to the EX will it be smooth and easy like my past upgrade or is there something different with the new EX upgrade kit that makes it more difficult?

SunByrne
09-11-2020, 12:05 PM
When I installed the upgrade kits from a S1 to the S2 it was very smooth and easy, when I upgrade to the EX will it be smooth and easy like my past upgrade or is there something different with the new EX upgrade kit that makes it more difficult?

If the first time was smooth and easy, subsequent ones will be as well. The 2EX is not the problem, the problem is the first run of S1s (probably 2008 or so, I think) were cut somewhat differently than all the later ones, and there are fit issues with those.

I bought S1's in 2010 and have done every possible upgrade, S1 to NrT, then to S2, and then to S2EX. All of them were quick and easy with no troubles whatsoever.

Mag_Neato
09-11-2020, 12:30 PM
Yes, only us lucky individuals who jumped on the Sierra-1 bandwagon when they were initially released back in 2007, maybe 2008? have this issue. The cabinet suppliers were changed shortly after the release due to inconsistent tolerances and fit issues, if my memory is correct. Bottom line..... If you remove the woofer and see the yellow fiberglass insulation encased in black mesh rather than the newer white Dacron sheet insulation, expect some challenges.

davef
09-14-2020, 01:07 AM
Sorry for the issues Muzz, but yes - you were informed those 1st gen Sierra-1 cabinets can be problematic. I recall offering to handle the upgrade for you.

and the actual Bolt pattern is wrong because of the bigger cage.🙄

This is incorrect, bolt hole pattern has never changed and is identical from Sierra-1 woofer all the way through to Sierra-2EX woofer. We spent a small fortune with SEAS on tooling an entirely new custom basket just to keep the bolt hole pattern the same. Yes, the woofer cutout itself might have to be slightly enlarged in 1st gen Sierra-1 cabinets - but the bolt hole pattern is identical.

The new XO board is much larger, doesn't line up...need self tapper's to screw it down...

Yes, the new crossover will have to be screwed down into the bottom baffle rather than using the threaded inserts in the gen 1 cabinets. Screwing the crossover board down into the bottom baffle is common practice actually, it is quite simple.

You can't fit a 6" basket in a 5 1/4 basket hole pattern unless there's a miracle, or you move the mounting screws in on the basket...you haven't provided it Dave...

Absolutely can, and we now have many thousands of customers that have done this upgrade Muzz. I am indeed sorry for your frustration. However, at this point, only about 2-3% of Sierra-1 customers have 1st gen cabinets and these are the only cabinets where the upgrade can be problematic. We stopped shipping Gen 1 Sierra-1 cabinets around May/June of 2008, yet we still support and even offer to do the upgrades for those customers.

What company in any industry offers to upgrade 12+ year old products? Most companies don't even offer any form of support for a product that is out-of-warranty.

BTW, those different lug SIZES on the new Driver SHOULD have been mentioned as well... C'mon Man..

If you mean the woofer faston connectors that connect to the woofer crossover wires, they too have not changed and are the exact same size from Sierra-1 woofer to Sierra-2/Sierra-2EX woofer. If the faston connections feel loose on the new woofer, it is because you opened them up a bit when removing the faston connector from the old woofer. As mentioned in the instructions, it is recommend to crimp them a bit so they tighten back up.

Again, sorry for your frustrations - send it all back to us and we will handle it for you. It is simple for us...