PDA

View Full Version : Found new speaker feet for Sierra Towers and hardwood/tile floors

John Galt
03-17-2020, 02:19 PM
After an exhaustive search I found some really nice speaker feet that work great on the Sierra Towers. If you’re like me, and have hardwood floors and/or need to move the speakers to access equipment, you may also find the standard floor spikes/discs beautiful, but incredibly inconvenient.

https://www.mcmaster.com/9541k83

These are very similar to the feet that came with my old B&W 683 S2s, which I found to be very functional and convenient. The rubber part on the B&W feet is slightly harder, which I think is better, but this is as close as I could find. I wasn’t able to upload pics here, but you can see them here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/849859-official-ascend-acoustics-sierra-thread-205.html#post59381432

The McMaster-Carr site is strange in that you have to input payment info and complete the purchase, but are never advised of shipping charges. You can also order by phone, and then you should get all the shipping details. A 10 pack cost me $18.08 delivered, $10.43 for the ‘threaded-stud bumpers’ and the remainder was shipping.

white_darren
03-18-2020, 05:34 AM
Nice, although I think I prefer the felt feet Dave had recommended. In my house, the felt feet are more likely to slide across a hard floor reducing the potential for tipping if one of the dogs accidentally bumps into a speaker. Grippy 70A rubber feet are less likely to slide making the tower more prone to tipping over. Something for people with kids and/or dogs to keep in mind.

John Galt
03-18-2020, 07:22 AM
I may order a set of those just to try out...but they just look so cheap and ugly I was loathe to put them on. From my seating position I think they would be clearly visible and obvious. These black threaded-stud bumpers are pretty much invisible...just looks like the speaker is floating 1/2” off the floor.

racrawford65
03-18-2020, 02:25 PM
Having hardwood floors, I also moved away from the spikes. I'm using the Isoacoustics GAIA in place of the spikes. More costly than the options above but do help with vibration control. The other thing I like about them is the "suction" cup bottom - they "stick" the speaker to the floor. Not too difficult to unstick if need to move the speakers (eg pop it loose to move -- can put playing cards underneath to slide if don't want to lift / pivot the speaker.

https://isoacoustics.com/products/gaia-series/

John Galt
03-20-2020, 08:58 AM
Having hardwood floors, I also moved away from the spikes. I'm using the Isoacoustics GAIA in place of the spikes. More costly than the options above but do help with vibration control. The other thing I like about them is the "suction" cup bottom - they "stick" the speaker to the floor. Not too difficult to unstick if need to move the speakers (eg pop it loose to move -- can put playing cards underneath to slide if don't want to lift / pivot the speaker.

Wow, those are some fancy feet!

Shazb0t
03-30-2020, 09:14 PM
Nice, although I think I prefer the felt feet Dave had recommended. In my house, the felt feet are more likely to slide across a hard floor reducing the potential for tipping if one of the dogs accidentally bumps into a speaker. Grippy 70A rubber feet are less likely to slide making the tower more prone to tipping over. Something for people with kids and/or dogs to keep in mind.
Do you happen to have a link to the felt feet recommended by Dave?

John Galt
03-30-2020, 09:27 PM
Here you go: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00O66SWPO/?coliid=I35898T7TRL4YE&colid=2Q5Z54I9SGQRR&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Mjt8
04-11-2020, 10:45 PM

Do you find those actually improve the sound considerably? And do you use the Gaia 3s?

racrawford65
04-12-2020, 03:05 AM
Do you find those actually improve the sound considerably? And do you use the Gaia 3s?

Yes, I used the Gaia III's. I installed the Gaia's the same day I got the Towers, so I personally can't really say if there is an improvement over the spikes. Before buying them, I did read on another forum (the VPI forum) that they did help.

John Galt
04-12-2020, 03:42 PM

I’d love to hear Dave Fabrikant’s opinion on how much or little speaker feet can affect the sound quality of speakers like the Sierra RAAL Tower. I know that he has recommended <$20 felt feet for the Sierra Towers for those who don’t find the spikes enjoyable in their hard floor environment.

I’ve searched for reviews on the GAIA products and have found overwhelmingly positive, and almost unbelievable comments...but I’m still very skeptical that they are capable of making a significant difference in sound. I’ve yet to come across any REW type measurements showing any data to support the claims.

If isolating the speakers from the floor is the goal, I wonder if the <$20 rubber feet I found (or Dave’s recommenced felt feet from Amazon), which were the genesis of this thread, are accomplishing the wonders that a minimum $400 set accomplishes. I can’t tell any difference between my new rubber feet and the spikes and discs that came with the towers on my hardwood floors, but I’d really appreciate hearing the opinions of experts...and would really like to see some data to support the fact that there are any noticeable changes.

racrawford65
04-12-2020, 04:42 PM
You could always order two sets and demo them - I think Crutchfield carries them (Amazon as well). I know Harry W (VPI) use them in their listening house and highly recommend the Gaia's.

With isolation products, one may or may not hear any changes - for better or worse. For example, I was getting alot of feedback in my speakers when turning up volume whilst listening to vinyl. Tried lots of things - moving TT, moving speakers, etc.. nothing helped. Put a Symposium Segue Iso platform under the TT and feedback completely gone. On the other hand, put a regular Segue under my Atlas Magnum and don't hear any difference.

John Galt
04-12-2020, 05:33 PM
I’ll buy someone a set of the McMaster rubber bumpers if they are willing to take REW measurements with stock spikes, the rubber bumpers I found, and the beautiful GAIA isolation feet.

I’d also love to hear Dave’s opinion on how much feet can affect sound from an engineering perspective.

If he thinks that isolation feet, that would work well on wood/tile floors, could offer a noticeable improvement for under $100 per speaker I’d grab some in a heartbeat.

racrawford65
04-13-2020, 02:47 AM
Here's a thread on AVS with discussion around the GAIAs, including input from Jim Salk. Starting at post 10000

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/939744-official-salk-sound-owner-s-discussion-thread-334.html

John Galt
04-14-2020, 01:47 PM
Here's a thread on AVS with discussion around the GAIAs, including input from Jim Salk. Starting at post 10000

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/939744-official-salk-sound-owner-s-discussion-thread-334.html

Interview from yesterday with Dave Morrison from IsoAcoustics starting at about 46:35. Just popped up on YouTube coincidentally.

https://youtu.be/xtcx_pVdlWc

Testing data from IsoAcoustics: https://isoacoustics.com/isoacoustics-speaker-isolation-technology/#_Testing_at_National

This paragraph is interesting to me, and may explain how the IsoAcoustics product may be superior to simple rubber bumper type feet. Since the GAIA product has different characteristics depending on how the product is oriented (allowing less forward to back ‘rocking’ as the speaker cones move in and out) compared to up/down and side to side...

“IsoAcoustics stands are directional and designed to be positioned with the logo facing in the same direction as the motive forces of the speakers. As a result they manage the energy on-axis as opposed to homogenous materials that allow the speakers to oscillate in all directions. This method of managing the energy provides a high degree of isolation, improved sound clarity, focus and openness.”

curtis
04-14-2020, 02:08 PM
Just popped up on YouTube coincidentally.

Big brother is watching.

John Galt
04-14-2020, 02:39 PM
Big brother is watching.

;) The first thing I thought was some type of browser tracking...but it’s actually just a new video from a YouTube channel that I’m subscribed to...so probably just an unlikely coincidence.

The Dark Knight
08-23-2020, 06:44 AM
Does anyone know if the Gaia II's fit on the TP-24 stands? I am thinking of getting these to use with my 2EXs. Even if the Gaia hype is overblown, it might be a nice dress up item at the very least. Plus, I think the TP-24 + 2EX combo could use the extra inch or two that the Gaia's would provide in height.

racrawford65
08-23-2020, 12:19 PM
Are they threaded on the bottom? I'm guessing they are as webpage says they come with spiked feet and isolation pads.

If so, most likely will fit (may need to get proper studs from IsoAcoustics) if the stands aren't standard. My guess, though, is the spiked feet with the stands are probably 1/4-20, which is a standard size in the GAIA's.

You could probably save $100/set by going with the GAIA III's...they'll do 70 lbs which is probably fine for the stands and 2EXs. FWIW, I use the III's on my Towers.

Spamilton
09-13-2020, 06:13 PM
I use IsoAcoustics desk stands for my desktop system, but mainly to increase height and support my heavy monitors. I really doubt they are doing anything that is audible. If speaker cabinets are stable and are not vibrating against the floor/desk, then what properties could these feet possess that cheap rubber domes don't? I understand wanting a well-built expensive product to go with your expensive speakers, but I'm very skeptical about any sonic differences.