PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic Treatments

genki
01-15-2020, 09:34 AM
Hi,
I currently have the Sierra Towers with RAAL and Horizon center in my media room which is 12 feet by 15 feet in size with 10 foot ceiling. I have been enjoying my speakers for music and home theater but I can't help but think my room is suboptimal and could really benefit from some acoustic treatments. As much as I have enjoyed the speakers I don't think they are at their full potential. I got some help from GIK Acoustics and have planned to purchase some corner base traps and sound absorbing panels for reflection points. However, it is quite pricey and I just wanted to get some opinions on how much an improvement acoustic treatments make. Is it a night and day difference? Should I expect a massive benefit or is it more of a subtle difference? I am really hoping for better imaging/clarity and cleaner bass.

Thanks

curtis
01-15-2020, 11:20 AM
How is the current placement of the speakers?

Benefits are very room dependent and how bad things are currently.

I have seen setups where placement was bad where treatment would make little difference.

genki
01-15-2020, 11:41 AM

All the walls are bare hard surfaces, the one window in the back has a curtain covering it. The floor is hardwood but has a rug on it. I have the TV and speakers lined against one short wall with the couch towards the back of the opposite short wall.

curtis
01-15-2020, 12:14 PM
How close are the speakers to the side walls?

genki
01-15-2020, 12:20 PM
I have them as close to the tv as possible which leaves 2.5 feet between the sidewall. Also my couch is actually moved back closer to the back opposite wall of the speakers. I learned that being in the middle is not good for bass.

curtis
01-15-2020, 07:07 PM
I have them as close to the tv as possible which leaves 2.5 feet between the sidewall. Also my couch is actually moved back closer to the back opposite wall of the speakers. I learned that being in the middle is not good for bass.
With the speakers that close to the side walls, I think you would think you would benefit from acoustic panels on the side walls/first reflection points.

Are the speakers in front of the TV/console? Do you have a picture?

Where's the subwoofer?

genki
01-15-2020, 07:21 PM

curtis
01-15-2020, 09:26 PM
Try moving the speakers forward a bit...6”-12”.

racrawford65
01-16-2020, 02:40 AM
Try moving the speakers forward a bit...6”-12”.

+1 on Curtis' suggestion.

You may also want to try moving your subs out of the corners. Sometimes this may result in boomy bass.

Also agree with Curtis that room treatments are very room dependent. I added corner traps and a pair of monster (name?) traps from GIK per their recommendations. If they helped in my room, it was subtle. They also suggested a pair of diffuser/traps on a side wall (other is essentially open to the den), but I've not added these -- may do in the future. Currently that wall has some book/record cases on it, which should help a bit.

natetg57
01-16-2020, 07:56 AM
Nice looking setup! I think sound panels will help in your room. If you clap your hands together, is their a reverberating sound? Sound panels may help with that somewhat. Trapping bass waves requires very thick panels, probably 6 inches or more. How about switching the positions of your left/right speakers with the subs? There don't seem to be many options on where to place them other than trying that. A measurement mic and a laptop would give you some good data as to where each sub produces the smoothest bass response.

genki
01-16-2020, 09:44 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions! I have moved my couch back and I will play with the location of the subwoofers and speakers. However, I fear my room is too small to get the most out of my speakers but I’m stuck in there for now. I’m just trying to see if I can justify the cost of expensive room treatments or if the dimensions of the room are too limiting even with treatments. I am willing to spend money on treatments though if they can make a Significant difference.

curtis
01-16-2020, 10:49 AM
Work on the placement of the speakers/sub/sofa before trying the panels.