PDA

View Full Version : 4 or 8 ohm For Sierra 2?

audiomaniac
12-08-2019, 10:40 PM
I have 4 and 8 ohm taps on my tube amp and was wondering what would be the best to use for my Sierra 2 speakers, given they are 6 ohm nominal impedance. I always thought it was better for an amp to go up instead of down for the impedance curve. What's recommended of should I just use what sounds best? :confused:

davef
12-08-2019, 10:55 PM
I have 4 and 8 ohm taps on my tube amp and was wondering what would be the best to use for my Sierra 2 speakers, given they are 6 ohm nominal impedance. I always thought it was better for an amp to go up instead of down for the impedance curve. What's recommended of should I just use what sounds best? :confused:

Sierra-2 are and have always been a nominal 8 ohm load. You should use the 8 ohm taps on your tube amp.

audiomaniac
12-08-2019, 11:00 PM
Oh, OK my mistake. I always thought they were 6 ohm. Thanks Dave. 8 ohms makes it simple.

davef
12-12-2019, 01:24 AM
Oh, OK my mistake. I always thought they were 6 ohm. Thanks Dave. 8 ohms makes it simple.

Very welcome and no worries, speaker impedance is always a confusing issue.

jimb
12-12-2019, 08:35 AM
This question maybe comes from the specifications, which list a minimum impedance (6 ohms), but not a nominal impedance. The specs also say the S2 is suitable for receivers with 4, 6 and 8 ohm ratings.

Mag_Neato
12-12-2019, 08:42 AM
This question maybe comes from the specifications, which list a minimum impedance (6 ohms), but not a nominal impedance. The specs also say the S2 is suitable for receivers with 4, 6 and 8 ohm ratings.

I noticed that as well. I also noticed that the specs for the S2EX includes a nominal 8 ohm rating.

Dave, will the S2 be eventually phased out in favor of the EX?

davef
12-12-2019, 11:34 PM
I noticed that as well. I also noticed that the specs for the S2EX includes a nominal 8 ohm rating.

The most common question we get from prospective customers is "are these speakers compatible with my receiver"... With the Sierra-2, I had thought that by listing compatibility, it would reduce these questions. I was terribly wrong -- we will be updating specifications once we go live with our new website.

davef
12-12-2019, 11:42 PM

That is something I have not yet decided. My best guess is yes - at some point, as Sierra-2EX sales have eclipsed Sierra-2 sales since the release of the EX.