PDA

View Full Version : A frustrating audible hum in my setup, please help!

merrymaid520
01-07-2019, 08:32 PM
Trying to eliminate a very annoying 120 hz (I think, seems higher than your typical 60 hz hum) buzzing sound coming through my setup. I’ve tried tons of things, new surge protectors, different outlets, hum x, etc. it’s a buzz that come on every 6-8 seconds, buzzes for a few then goes off, never stopping. It does disappear on occasion and other times it’s less pronounced. Its not the amp, ruled that out long ago.

My setup is very complex.
Ascend speaks obviously;)
Yamaha cx5000 pre
Parasound amp a21
Parasound pre p7
Behringer fbd
Dual subs Rythmik
Custom built pc for streaming movies and Jriver music with 200 watt external power supply (hd Plex)
Schiit dac
Directv box
Sony ps3
Outlaw 7 ch amp for surrounds and zone speakers

I’ve tried unplugging cables many times and can’t seem to locate the root of the problem.

Any suggestions on where to begin?
Thanks.

rjkruk
01-08-2019, 10:35 AM
Recent smart meter install?

https://www.securityweek.com/smart-meters-interfering-home-electronics

merrymaid520
01-08-2019, 10:39 AM
Recent smart meter install?

https://www.securityweek.com/smart-meters-interfering-home-electronics

Not that I am aware of.

racrawford65
01-08-2019, 12:37 PM
did you try moving the cable box/disconnecting?
any dimmer switches?

jimb
01-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Live near any radar or other transmission systems?

merrymaid520
01-08-2019, 12:51 PM
did you try moving the cable box/disconnecting?
any dimmer switches?
Move directv box where?
There may be a dimmer on that circuit, I’ll check.

merrymaid520
01-08-2019, 12:52 PM
Live near any radar or other transmission systems?

Nope, pretty rural by me.

racrawford65
01-08-2019, 03:05 PM
Move directv box where?
There may be a dimmer on that circuit, I’ll check.

cable box - disconnect from your system entirely and away from other components. I've seen on other forums (don't recall which) that in some cases cable boxes were the source of noise.

merrymaid520
01-08-2019, 03:29 PM
cable box - disconnect from your system entirely and away from other components. I've seen on other forums (don't recall which) that in some cases cable boxes were the source of noise.
Well I unplugged the satellite feed (rg6 cable) coming into the directv box and unplugged it’s power source and nothing changed. I also confirmed the outlet that all my equipment is plugged into is a dedicated one with nothing else on it. Still that darn hum/buzz.

rjkruk
01-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Did this just start recently and have you added any new electric / electronics lately?
Your or neighbors put in any electric fence? Power and signal cables for audio separated?
I would check with your electric company and ask if they have made any changes.

rjkruk
01-08-2019, 04:39 PM
Also, is there any interference on a landline phone? Either wired or cordless.

merrymaid520
01-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Did this just start recently and have you added any new electric / electronics lately?
Your or neighbors put in any electric fence? Power and signal cables for audio separated?
I would check with your electric company and ask if they have made any changes.

I did switch out a power supply recently for my pc but the buzz existed before and after. No electric fences I’m aware of plus out lots here are 1.5 acres, so no close neighbors. I’ve not separated my cables because of the way my AV stand is. Just way too many wires all over the place.

merrymaid520
01-08-2019, 08:54 PM
One discovery which I hope is relevant. So my Parasound P7 has HT bypass which I of course use in my setup. When it’s in bypass, meaning I’m using the Yamaha CX-A5000 for volume, sources, etc, the buzz is audible like I’ve described. As soon as I switch the Parasound P7 to any source coming into it other than HT bypass, the buzz disappears completely. So for example, if I switch the P7 to my music input coming from my Schiit DAC, the buzz is gone!

Does this help narrow things down?

jimb
01-08-2019, 09:56 PM
WELL. NOW you tell us. If I understand you correctly, and the input to the Yamaha is not changed (same cable from the P7 to the same input on the Yamaha), then the P7 is bad, or there's a grounding issue "through" it. To be sure, can you sketch up a little diagram of the sources, the P7, the Yamaha and the interconnections?

rjkruk
01-09-2019, 05:00 AM
Are the Parasound and Yamaha on the same circuit?

merrymaid520
01-09-2019, 05:28 AM
Also, is there any interference on a landline phone? Either wired or cordless.

No landline phones in the house

merrymaid520
01-09-2019, 05:29 AM
Are the Parasound and Yamaha on the same circuit?

Yes

merrymaid520
01-09-2019, 05:35 AM
WELL. NOW you tell us. If I understand you correctly, and the input to the Yamaha is not changed (same cable from the P7 to the same input on the Yamaha), then the P7 is bad, or there's a grounding issue "through" it. To be sure, can you sketch up a little diagram of the sources, the P7, the Yamaha and the interconnections?
Sorry:)
Yes, the buzzing only disappears when a source on the p7 is selected. When it’s in HT bypass meaning my Yamaha is acting as source and going through the P7 is when the buzzing happens. I didn’t mess with any cables.

Hoping the p7 is ok! The buzz only comes through on One speaker. I’ll do my best to create a diagram

curtis
01-09-2019, 07:20 AM
Sorry:)
Yes, the buzzing only disappears when a source on the p7 is selected. When it’s in HT bypass meaning my Yamaha is acting as source and going through the P7 is when the buzzing happens. I didn’t mess with any cables.

Hoping the p7 is ok! The buzz only comes through on One speaker. I’ll do my best to create a diagram
I think you just need to give up and send me your equipment. :D

For the side that is humming, swap the input cables into the P7 to see if the hum follows the cable.

Also if the P7 is set to HT Bypass, and the Yamaha is off, is the hum still present?

merrymaid520
01-09-2019, 09:53 AM

For the side that is humming, swap the input cables into the P7 to see if the hum follows the cable.

Also if the P7 is set to HT Bypass, and the Yamaha is off, is the hum still present?

You dont want a buzzing preamp do you:)

I will try this when I return home and report back.

merrymaid520
01-09-2019, 10:59 AM

Diagram.....

merrymaid520
01-09-2019, 02:04 PM

So I swapped the preouts from the Yamaha into the P7 and the hum doesn’t seem to change much if at all. I also turned off the Yamaha while the leaving everything else on and p7 in HT bypass and hum still exists, no change.
Once I unplug those interconnects coming out of the Yamaha into the p7, the hum disappears.

merrymaid520
01-09-2019, 02:49 PM
So I think I fixed it! The Parasound A21 amp has two options for Input, balanced and unbalanced connections. I removed my balanced XLR cables from it and the p7, and replaced the pair with good old RCA cables, flipped the switch on back of the A21 and guess what, the buzz is nearly inaudible!!

I have no clue why this fixed it but so far so good:)

curtis
01-10-2019, 07:26 AM
So I think I fixed it! The Parasound A21 amp has two options for Input, balanced and unbalanced connections. I removed my balanced XLR cables from it and the p7, and replaced the pair with good old RCA cables, flipped the switch on back of the A21 and guess what, the buzz is nearly inaudible!!

I have no clue why this fixed it but so far so good:)
That's good, but it does seem like there is a problem somewhere.

jimb
01-10-2019, 08:52 AM
Something not good with the XLR cables, maybe.

merrymaid520
01-10-2019, 11:36 AM
That's good, but it does seem like there is a problem somewhere.

It could be a bad cable perhaps? I guess as long as the issue (buzz) is gone, I am happy with that! I will be doing a first floor remodel this spring so the entire setup will be packed up and moved out for a bit. Maybe upon its return, the problem will cease to exist.

merrymaid520
01-10-2019, 11:37 AM
Something not good with the XLR cables, maybe.

Might be! They are just basic XLR cables, nothing fancy.