PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-2 Towers

GrandMasterJ
11-23-2018, 11:53 AM
Hi Dave and co.

Is there something in the works to make Sierra-2 towers? I've been checking for about 2 years, but haven't seen anything as yet. I'd love to move my Sierra-2 monitors to the rear and put towers in the front...one day.

Thanks.

And not quite belonging to this post, but I am curious, is there any option to trade in our speakers for a different finish if they're in perfect/near-perfect condition? For instance, if you move and want to match your new decor with Natural instead of Piano Black.

racrawford65
11-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Why not the Sierra Towers ?
http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/SRT/srt.html

mikesiskav
11-23-2018, 09:54 PM
Hi Dave and co.

Is there something in the works to make Sierra-2 towers? I've been checking for about 2 years, but haven't seen anything as yet. I'd love to move my Sierra-2 monitors to the rear and put towers in the front...one day.

Thanks.

And not quite belonging to this post, but I am curious, is there any option to trade in our speakers for a different finish if they're in perfect/near-perfect condition? For instance, if you move and want to match your new decor with Natural instead of Piano Black.

Do you mean a speaker with the same drivers as the Sierra-2 but in a tower form? That's an interesting question. I've often wondered if there's place for a speaker in between the Sierra-2 and the tower. Either a 2-way tower or a larger bookshelf speaker with higher sensitivity and output.

davef
11-25-2018, 10:45 PM
Hi Dave and co.

Thanks.

Sierra-2 was created / designed to come close to the performance of our Ribbon Towers but in small 2-way speaker. Can you better describe what you mean by a Sierra-2 Tower?

Thanks!

GrandMasterJ
02-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Sierra-2 was created / designed to come close to the performance of our Ribbon Towers but in small 2-way speaker. Can you better describe what you mean by a Sierra-2 Tower?

Thanks!

Sorry, I forgot to check back for quite some time, I guess!

So, much in the way that the Sierra-1 Towers were created; a bigger driver for bass extension and more midrange capability (if I'm recalling correctly?). For instance, I do not have a subwoofer right now, but perhaps you mean that combining a sub with a full set of Sierra-2 monitors would make a tower a pointless endeavor? The bass extension on the Sierra-2 monitors is quite nice on their own, but I know there is further detail there I do not hear without a subwoofer; and then there is the level I cannot even hear, but can be "felt."

GrandMasterJ
02-02-2019, 04:27 PM
Do you mean a speaker with the same drivers as the Sierra-2 but in a tower form? That's an interesting question. I've often wondered if there's place for a speaker in between the Sierra-2 and the tower. Either a 2-way tower or a larger bookshelf speaker with higher sensitivity and output.

And yes, but with some added larger woofers. The tweeter would remain the same.

mikesiskav
02-02-2019, 11:56 PM
And yes, but with some added larger woofers. The tweeter would remain the same.

You know you can get the Sierra Tower with a RAAL tweeter, right? It's actually even better than the one in the Sierra-2.

As far as bigger woofers go, I don't think there's any plans for that. It seems that most people aren't really looking for deeper bass since that is usually taken care of by the subwoofer.

GrandMasterJ
02-03-2019, 11:21 AM
You know you can get the Sierra Tower with a RAAL tweeter, right? It's actually even better than the one in the Sierra-2.

As far as bigger woofers go, I don't think there's any plans for that. It seems that most people aren't really looking for deeper bass since that is usually taken care of by the subwoofer.

I think I saw that at one point and forgot it was an option.

How does it differ from the "Custom RAAL True Ribbon Tweeter" in the Sierra-2?

curtis
02-03-2019, 11:49 AM
I think I saw that at one point and forgot it was an option.

How does it differ from the "Custom RAAL True Ribbon Tweeter" in the Sierra-2?
It has higher performance all the way around, larger/more surface area, higher power handling and output. Also, don't forget, the Tower has a purpose built midrange driver.

In this pic, the smaller tweeter is the one in the Sierra-2, the other is in the Tower.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Ascend-Acoustics-pictures/i-wCpJt2z/0/79c91014/L/IMG_0788-L.jpg

GrandMasterJ
02-04-2019, 10:06 AM
It has higher performance all the way around, larger/more surface area, higher power handling and output. Also, don't forget, the Tower has a purpose built midrange driver.

In this pic, the smaller tweeter is the one in the Sierra-2, the other is in the Tower.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Other/Ascend-Acoustics-pictures/i-wCpJt2z/0/79c91014/L/IMG_0788-L.jpg

Ah, interesting. Thanks for that.

So do the Sierra-1 towers with the RAAL tweeter pair well with the Sierra-2 with the "custom RAAL?" Say you took the Sierra-2 and moved them to the rear (which might be a waste).

curtis
02-04-2019, 10:21 AM
Ah, interesting. Thanks for that.

So do the Sierra-1 towers with the RAAL tweeter pair well with the Sierra-2 with the "custom RAAL?" Say you took the Sierra-2 and moved them to the rear (which might be a waste).
First, it is the Sierra Tower or the Sierra Tower w/ RAAL. No need for the “1”.

Yes, Sierra-2 works well with the Sierra Tower w/RAAL, as does the Luna.