PDA

View Full Version : Smaller 3-way Sierra Center Channel? (Good for Media Centers?)

Asliang
09-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Hi David,

Have you ever looked into the possibility of a slimmer 3-way center channel than the Horizon? As I understand it most media centers can only accommodate something around 9" tall or so, and there's a lot of 3-way center channels that typically have a 2 or 3 inch midrange driver--i.e. something like the NHT Classic 3C or Emotiva Airmotiv C1. Also a slimmer center channel might be more popular for just decor reasons in general.

Wondering how much interest there would be in looking at something like that.

racrawford65
09-16-2018, 03:36 PM
The Luna Mini Monitor -- see post 915.

Asliang
09-16-2018, 03:48 PM
The Luna Mini Monitor -- see post 915.

Thanks. But that's not a 3-way center channel?

dfurry
09-16-2018, 05:23 PM
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4914-Sierra-Horizon-(Sierra-Tower-Center)/page38

Post 378 is one of a couple pf versions of a slim horizon center

dfurry
09-16-2018, 05:27 PM
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?3926-Ascend-Owners-Photo-Gallery/page51

Post 510 is an another example .........

white_darren
09-16-2018, 06:18 PM
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?4914-Sierra-Horizon-(Sierra-Tower-Center)/page38

Post 378 is one of a couple pf versions of a slim horizon center

I've got a version of this on order, hopefully shipping soon. This layout provides the low profile ( the version I ordered will be 8.5 x 26 x 14.5) but with a slight compromise in off axis symmetry.

white_darren
09-16-2018, 06:25 PM
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?3926-Ascend-Owners-Photo-Gallery/page51

Post 510 is an another example .........

This layout provides shallow depth but not a low profile.

dfurry
09-16-2018, 06:50 PM
That is correct .. the center in post 510 is 11" Tall x 40" Wide x 7.5" Deep.

Having the tweeter directly above the mid probably corrected the minimal off axis symmetry of design #1 but those woofers are out there.

Seems like finding room for Dave's original design cashes in on his engineering skill set but there's no doubt that both mods yielded a fantastic center speaker.

davef
09-17-2018, 11:33 PM
Hi David,

Have you ever looked into the possibility of a slimmer 3-way center channel than the Horizon? As I understand it most media centers can only accommodate something around 9" tall or so, and there's a lot of 3-way center channels that typically have a 2 or 3 inch midrange driver--i.e. something like the NHT Classic 3C or Emotiva Airmotiv C1. Also a slimmer center channel might be more popular for just decor reasons in general.

Wondering how much interest there would be in looking at something like that.

I have not at this point in time. Much depends on the Luna LCR performance. I have very high expectations for this speaker which is about as slim and low profile as a high quality center could possibly be...

SunByrne
09-19-2018, 03:42 PM
I would also be interested in a center channel speaker that was not as tall as the Horizon. I have room for about 8 or 9 inches high as well. Not looking to do this anytime soon, but wanted to add another vote for "love the idea of the Horizon but it's too tall."

mikesiskav
09-19-2018, 10:10 PM
Are you looking for a slim 3-way center speaker with the RAAL tweeter? That would be tough due to the size of the RAAL. They only way to do that is to put the RAAL and the midrange side by side as Dave has done for a few customers.

SunByrne
09-20-2018, 11:40 AM
As I said, I'm not in the market right now, but eventually I'm going to replace my HT speakers, and the center has a limited space. Not sure whether I'll be doing ribbons or not yet. If I do, then the new Luna center may fit the bill regardless.

N Boros
09-20-2018, 01:51 PM
I too love the idea of the Horizon with the wide dispersion, and 3-way design, but it might be too tall to work for me as well. It would be nice if the tweeter could be concentric with the midrange to get the height down considerably, but then that would limit the dispersion maybe to where you would be at with an MTM design anyways. That's if you could even get a Raal ribbon tweeter to concentrically work with a midrange driver. Fortunately for me, I only plan to sit in the main listening position which is basically directly on axis and most others could not care less about the sound when they are sitting off axis. So if all that will work is a Sierra 2 or Sierra Luna Center, the difference won't be that noticeable to me.

davef
09-20-2018, 05:45 PM
Doing some quick calculations for a 3-way WT/MW (tweeter above midrange) design....

The absolute minimum height for RAAL ribbons is 4", which is the faceplate I designed for our models and is also being used in the OEM 64-10.

The minimum height for a 4" midrange with the performance we would require is also ~ 4"

We must then also add ~ 3/4" above the tweeter and below the midrange to account for the cabinet itself and the absolute minimum height I come up with is 9.5"... Only 1.5" shorter than the Horizon.

We can do a low profile version using our custom SEAS 1" dome found in our CBM-170 and HTM-200, but I feel options would be greatly limited since we could not offer it with a ribbon.

We could also do a version with the midrange and tweeter side by side, and we have built many of these for customers. Performance is very good, but it will not have as wide and symmetrical dispersion as our Horizon. We are actually in the process of finishing up one of these custom low profile centers for a customer and I can post a pic tomorrow after it is finished. The dimensions for this are 26" wide x 8.5" high x 14.5" deep.

That's if you could even get a Raal ribbon tweeter to concentrically work with a midrange driver. Fortunately for me, I only plan to sit in the main listening position which is basically directly on axis and most others could not care less about the sound when they are sitting off axis. So if all that will work is a Sierra 2 or Sierra Luna Center, the difference won't be that noticeable to me.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to offer a coaxial / concentric woofer with a true ribbon tweeter mounted in the pole piece.

SunByrne
09-20-2018, 06:11 PM
We could also do a version with the midrange and tweeter side by side, and we have built many of these for customers. Performance is very good, but it will not have as wide and symmetrical dispersion as our Horizon. We are actually in the process of finishing up one of these custom low profile centers for a customer and I can post a pic tomorrow after it is finished. The dimensions for this are 26" wide x 8.5" high x 14.5" deep.

Good to know! Replacing my HT LCRs isn't going to happen for a while, but when it does, I will keep this in mind. (In my head right now, knowing this is probably 2 years out, my thoughts are dominated by Ascend, Salk, and Philharmonic...)

white_darren
09-20-2018, 06:51 PM
We are actually in the process of finishing up one of these custom low profile centers for a customer and I can post a pic tomorrow after it is finished.

Yes, please do! :D

davef
09-21-2018, 06:15 PM
Yes, please do! :D

Here you go...

SunByrne
09-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Thanks, Dave. I would definitely consider one of those!

Mahawkma
09-22-2018, 04:28 PM
I'd consider one as well.