PDA

View Full Version : One more newbie

4 Luv O' Musik
02-02-2018, 05:36 PM
Hello David,
Brand spanking new here.
Like so many audio enthusiast (philes), there comes a time to think about new speakers.
Have been reading many reviews, posts on various other forums, and come away with
an idea of what I am looking for in the way of speakers.
My current speakers are Infinity Beta 50s cmmd (Dr Floyd Toole driver design). These
are rather amazing for entry level speaker. They are able to dissappear while giving out a
very large soundstage from extreme left and right of speakers, great front to back depth
very quick great detail and not bright.
It is hard to know just how far up the $$$$ ladder to get significant improvements
overall. The hard part is to audition any of the speakers I would be interested in I would
have to travel 75 or more miles.
I happen to come across freesole's wonderful beautifully detailed review of the Sierra
raal Towers vs Aria 936. The review is of great value to me because the Arias seem to
have many of the traits of my Beta 50s..but with more refinements. It seems however the
Arias (haven't had the opportunity to hear them) may have a reputation for brightness,
overemphasized high end. The Sierra raal Towers don't appear to have this issue, and
enjoy enthusiastic owner following.
So David my question for you is could the Sierra Towers pressurize my 15x25 L shaped
room. To illustrate: Reference Recordings of Rutter Requiems, Pie Jesus choral load up
the wall behind my speakers as the musick builds? Another example: Wilson Audio
recording Center Stage album, Olympic Fanfare has tympani that are very strong
powerful. My concern is the rather small 5" drivers might not get me there. At this time
sub is out given proximity of neighbors. Though typically I listen in the 40-70db range. For
me 80 is getting loud. Though for the fun of it when neighbors are out I let er rip into the
95db plus range...briefy just to get the impact.
David I would appreciate your thoughts, as well as forum members.
Thank you everyone.
David ( same as yours sir!)

davef
02-20-2018, 01:24 AM
So David my question for you is could the Sierra Towers pressurize my 15x25 L shaped
room. To illustrate: Reference Recordings of Rutter Requiems, Pie Jesus choral load up
the wall behind my speakers as the musick builds? Another example: Wilson Audio
recording Center Stage album, Olympic Fanfare has tympani that are very strong
powerful. My concern is the rather small 5" drivers might not get me there. At this time
sub is out given proximity of neighbors. Though typically I listen in the 40-70db range. For
me 80 is getting loud. Though for the fun of it when neighbors are out I let er rip into the
95db plus range...briefy just to get the impact.
David I would appreciate your thoughts, as well as forum members.
Thank you everyone.
David ( same as yours sir!)

So sorry I missed this and welcome to the forum. Always best to email us directly with questions.

I honestly don't feel you will run into any problems running the towers full range in your room, but so much depends on your personal tastes. I almost exclusively use the towers full range in our demo room - which is just slightly smaller than your room and we have run them with peaks reaching and even exceeding 110dB measured at about 10-11 feet away...

I am not what one would classify as a basshead - but I love the bass the towers put out for music -- tight, quick, detailed and punchy..

Please feel free to send an email..