PDA

View Full Version : Music listening, room correction, speaker grills

dragoncst
12-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Looking at using a receiver to power a set of S2s, if you use a receiver to power your speakers and you are listening to music (stereo or even maybe multi channel), do you normally turn off the room correction feature ?

Also, do you think if it makes any difference whether the grills are on or off ?

What about movie watching, I think RC is probably best kept on for movies, but will the center channel / dialog maybe be cleaner if the grill is removed ?

curtis
12-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Room correction is effective for both music and movies. I see no reason to exclude it if you like it.

Grilles are a preference. Ascend does a great job with grilles to minimize their effects.

For any of this, try and see what you like.

JR123
12-20-2017, 12:25 PM
I always take my speaker grills off when listening to music or movies. Sure, it probably makes for about a 3% improvement, but it is quick, easy, and free. :)

Just be careful about putting the grills back on if there are kids around.

natetg57
12-20-2017, 02:20 PM
I use Audyssey XT32 with my Denon X4200 but have it set to Bypass L/R so I still get the surrounds and the subs eq'd.

curtis
12-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Grilles on for me.

I am using Dirac with the XMC-1. Currently, I am EQing everything below 500hz with a bump with sub below 20hz. I’ve listening like this for a couple of weeks now.

Before, I was EQing everything flat with the same bump below 20hz.