PDA

View Full Version : Sierra-2 Speaker Stand Minimum Top Plate Area Recommendation?

Roen
06-12-2017, 02:29 PM
I'm going with aftermarket speaker stands and I am wondering, how wide of a top plate should I have for my speaker stands?

The Ascend measures 14.25" x 7.5" x 10.5", so I am wondering if 5" x 5" covers enough area? The stand is 31" height.

Chucka
06-12-2017, 04:52 PM
Curious which stand you are considering?

Roen
06-13-2017, 08:14 AM
I'm currently using the Sanus BF24 stands, which have a 6.5" square top plate.

Sanus' taller stands range from a 5" to a 6" top plate.

I'd like to know what Ascend thinks is the minimum acceptable top plate area for the Sierra-2.

davef
06-13-2017, 03:48 PM
I'm currently using the Sanus BF24 stands, which have a 6.5" square top plate.

Sanus' taller stands range from a 5" to a 6" top plate.

I'd like to know what Ascend thinks is the minimum acceptable top plate area for the Sierra-2.

I'm not sure how to address your question as there are just too many variables involved. The stands we use here have 6" wide top plates and I feel they are great with Sierra-1 / Sierra-2 etc. We don't have any stands with 5" wide top plates here now, however, I will say that I have tried the Sanus BF series and found them to be a bit wobbly.

racrawford65
06-13-2017, 04:16 PM
I use the Sanus steel foundations stands with my Sierra 2's.

Roen
06-13-2017, 05:07 PM
I'm not sure how to address your question as there are just too many variables involved. The stands we use here have 6" wide top plates and I feel they are great with Sierra-1 / Sierra-2 etc. We don't have any stands with 5" wide top plates here now, however, I will say that I have tried the Sanus BF series and found them to be a bit wobbly.

Do you have any stands higher than your TP-24?

davef
06-13-2017, 09:12 PM
Do you have any stands higher than your TP-24?

I am sorry, but we do not. Here is a link to stands I recommend: http://a.co/1AWxtGc

racrawford65
06-14-2017, 01:47 AM
I use those with my S2's (29 high ones), very stable.

Roen
06-14-2017, 12:52 PM

Would you be comfortable recommending a SF series with a 5" top plate? e.g. SF30, if one wants more height than 24".

Beave
06-14-2017, 04:11 PM
The SF26 or SF30 are pretty sturdy speaker stands, but yeah, the top plate is a little small. Whether or not it's an issue depends on the chances of the speaker being bumped. If you have kids or a dog or something, it's an issue.

VTI makes some nice stands as well that are fairly reasonable in price, sturdy like the Sanus SF series, and with bigger top plates.

Look at the VTI RF24 or RF29, or the VTI UF24 or UF29. Their top plate is 6.5" wide, 8" deep.

davef
06-14-2017, 05:56 PM
Would you be comfortable recommending a SF series with a 5" top plate? e.g. SF30, if one wants more height than 24".

SF Series has a 6" wide X 6.5" deep top plate. I am a fan of the SF series and we use these stands in our demo room -- never had a single speaker fall off.

Roen
06-15-2017, 02:06 PM
SF Series has a 6" wide X 6.5" deep top plate. I am a fan of the SF series and we use these stands in our demo room -- never had a single speaker fall off.

I'm probably going with this one, as it supports the same amount of weight, has 6" x 6" top plates which is only a 1/4" smaller left and right on 2 sides and is half the price in Canada.

http://www.sanus.com/en_CA/products/speaker-stands/nf30/

No need to splurge on stands if all they do is hold the speaker up, amirite?

Beave
06-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Frankly, I don't think I'd recommend that one. I got the NF24s for my girlfriend. They are very nice looking, but they're not nearly as sturdy as the SF series. And that's the 24 inch. The 30 inch is probably even more "wobbly."

If you are at all worried about stability, get the SF26, the SF30, or one of the VTI 29" stands.

Roen
06-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Frankly, I don't think I'd recommend that one. I got the NF24s for my girlfriend. They are very nice looking, but they're not nearly as sturdy as the SF series. And that's the 24 inch. The 30 inch is probably even more "wobbly."

If you are at all worried about stability, get the SF26, the SF30, or one of the VTI 29" stands.

I am worried a bit, but as the weight specs are identical, and coverage is close, I don't believe it would make a material difference, besides style and cost.

I don't have kids or pets to worry about.

Roen
06-18-2017, 04:33 PM
Should I use the neoprene pads to isolate or the brass studs to couple?

Beave
06-18-2017, 09:01 PM
Some self-proclaimed audiophiles will claim dramatic improvements in sound by doing it one way - or the other way. There are probably strong opinions on both sides.

Personally, I doubt the differences are audible at all, and if they are, they are probably tiny

So I'd say do whichever seems sturdier - or if there is any concern of the brass studs scratching the bottom of the speakers, then just go with the pads.

I use the pads on my the NF24s I got for my girlfiend.

Roen
06-19-2017, 07:53 AM
Some self-proclaimed audiophiles will claim dramatic improvements in sound by doing it one way - or the other way. There are probably strong opinions on both sides.

Personally, I doubt the differences are audible at all, and if they are, they are probably tiny

So I'd say do whichever seems sturdier - or if there is any concern of the brass studs scratching the bottom of the speakers, then just go with the pads.

I use the pads on my the NF24s I got for my girlfiend.

Do I even want to couple? Or just use no pads to reduce coupling?

racrawford65
06-19-2017, 08:05 AM
I like my VTI UF-29 with my S2. Using BluTac and filled it with car litter like Dave recommended.

+1 for blu-tac. I used it, as well, between top plates & speakers.

curtis
06-19-2017, 09:11 AM
At least use pads or something like blu-tac to protect the speakers from scratches.

pegleg
06-19-2017, 10:33 AM
My Sierra 2s are horizontal. Do any of you know of a decent stand for them in this position. Many stands seem to have a 22# max weight which seems iffy for the 20# Sierra.
Thanks, Pegleg

Roen
06-19-2017, 02:44 PM
At least use pads or something like blu-tac to protect the speakers from scratches.

No measurable difference in sound quality between neoprene pads and no pads on stands?

curtis
06-19-2017, 03:26 PM
No measurable difference in sound quality between neoprene pads and no pads on stands?
Have you done any research? What have you found? As far as know, there is nothing definitive.

That is why I say at least protect from scratches, or with blutac, a little more secure to the stand.

curtis
06-19-2017, 03:31 PM
My Sierra 2s are horizontal. Do any of you know of a decent stand for them in this position. Many stands seem to have a 22# max weight which seems iffy for the 20# Sierra.
Thanks, Pegleg
Some of the Sanus stands say up to 25 lbs. I think that is really conservative. Those things are pretty sturdy.

racrawford65
06-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Have you done any research? What have you found? As far as know, there is nothing definitive.

That is why I say at least protect from scratches, or with blutac, a little more secure to the stand.

I'd use Blu-Tak instead of the pads. Otherwise the pads.

racrawford65
06-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Some of the Sanus stands say up to 25 lbs. I think that is really conservative. Those things are pretty sturdy.

Agree. I'm using them with my S2's (vertical, not horizontal). Very sturdy.