PDA

View Full Version : Anthem or other to replace a Marantz 5009?

Blingleberry
05-18-2017, 03:05 PM
I'm still thinking about what to do to replace my Marantz 5009, which I'm just not happy with.

My main complaint is the difficulty to tweak the room correction and EQ to get better dialog clarity and/or surround immersion for different situations. And there's no way to save preset sound configs to be able to switch.

Assuming one setting for everything didn't cover all situations (for the 5009 it definitely does not), then the next best thing would be the ability to save presets for situations like watching news/baseball, late night, or immersive movie watching.

Upgrading to the newer Marantz seems like a waste of money just for a few new features like the iphone app. I've been eyeing Emotiva but the XMC1 plus an amp is crazy expensive. And the MC700 seems like too much of a compromise. So it looks like the Anthem 720 might be a better option. But it is also really costly.

Any thoughts on Anthem or Emotiva as an improvement over the Marantz?

The rest of the system is LCR S2's, Rythmik F12, Orb sides and rear, Rega TT, Apple TV, Spectrum DVR.

Thx!

eyecatcher
05-19-2017, 07:12 AM
I have an Anthem 520. It is about as close you can get to separates without going there. It is very well rounded powerful clean and minimalistic. I'm very satisfied with it. The 720 gives you more channels and the play fi. Usually you can get a demo one from a dealer. You'd be able to measure and custom tailor the eq and save 4 different settings which can be applied to each input

Blingleberry
05-19-2017, 08:34 AM
Thanks! Do you make much use of the presets for different situations?

Does it have a pure direct mode for analog listening?

eyecatcher
05-19-2017, 08:56 AM
Yes. I have one for front only full range eq using 2.0 channel another for 2.1 listening and one for 5.1 with more room gain which is equivalent to a house curve. You can also set a max eq fequency and have different crossover cutoffs for each eq profile if you desire. A great feature of this eq is you can quickly measure and visually see the raw db frequency response level in a realtime graph of the speaker so you can position it idealy or adjust phase, subwoofer cutoffs prior to calibraiton.

It doesn't have a "pure direct" button, but it does have the ablity to bypass the room correction and analog processing which is the direct equivalent.

They are announcing that audyssey will have an app that you can customize their filters but not sure when that is coming. The only way to get more flexiblity better than this is if you were to go with Dirac which would be via separate dirac appliance (either analog or digital not both), Emotiva or Arcam. Not sure what your budget is if you are more into movies and need more bells and whistles, the Yamaha receivers are very nice as well imho.

curtis
05-19-2017, 12:19 PM
FWIW, I just implemented an XMC-1 in my system and have been very happy.

Blingleberry
05-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Thanks! My budget is under 3K. Ideally closer to 2k. Maybe I can get lucky and trade my marantz in to the place I bought it for some credit.

It looks like a lot of places are sold out of the anthem. Is it getting near the end of the model's run?

eyecatcher
05-19-2017, 02:27 PM
Usually the dealers dont have high stock and most people are more into feature rich units. You'd have to check but Anthem usually does a 3+ year lifecycle. I would think they might announce something in another year. They have a trade up promo now https://www.anthemav.com/tradeup/index.php

Blingleberry
05-19-2017, 03:50 PM
Woa - thanks! I need to find a dealer. Their dealer locator seems out of date. Some of the places don't exist anymore and most in my area are home installers, not really stores. But we'll see.

Cheers

racrawford65
05-21-2017, 05:38 PM
I like my Anthem (MRX510) and am thinking of upgrading to the 720 (4k, Atmos). I asked Anthem about a next gen receiver, was told nothing in the works soon.

Where are you located?

Blingleberry
05-22-2017, 01:55 PM
Thx!

I'm in NYC

MusicHead
05-29-2017, 06:03 PM
You could try Crutchfield if you do not mind buying online and if they participate in the promotion. They have a good reputation as sellers:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_973MRX520/Anthem-MRX-520.html?tp=179

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_973MRX720/Anthem-MRX-720.html?tp=179

sludgeogre
05-30-2017, 09:07 PM
Have to throw my vote in for the Emotiva XMC-1 as well. I used to have a Marantz AV7701 and the XMC-1 is a big upgrade in every single way. More detail, blacker background, insane timing accuracy, and loads of customization options. Emotiva's support and backing of their product is incredible as well. I love that it's made in Tennessee as well.

curtis
05-31-2017, 07:05 AM
Sludge/Alex...where have you been?

sludgeogre
05-31-2017, 07:17 PM
Sludge/Alex...where have you been?

I'm a chemical engineer at a small facility that makes resins for paper and plywood products and there used to be another guy that managed our quality control. He quit and they've been dragging their feet on a replacement so I've been working lots of hours and barely even get time to eat at work let alone cruise the forums. My time at home has been focused on my lawn that keeps giving me headaches (we had an 80 degree day that roasted a quarter of the lawn because I messed up the sprinkler system at the same time) and on playing StarCraft 2 whenever I can because I'm addicted to it again for some unexplainable reason.

I'm working my way through some threads again and we have some interviews finally scheduled but it'll be at least 6 months until I'm back into a normal schedule again.

Thanks for asking, feels good to be missed =)

Blingleberry
06-01-2017, 07:25 AM
Move to a city. No lawns or driveways to shovel!.. That said, my back still hurts from carrying an F12 up 5 flights of stairs by myself last year.

I like what I've read about the XMC1- but it starts to get really expensive with an amp and then the add on boards. The Anthem seems simpler. Also the 2 pending upgrades for the emotiva bother me as the atmos has to be done by them.

It's all kind of ironic wanting a fancy av receiver, because some of the sound customization I want is the ability to go LO-FI such as being able to watch the news or the mets games and have it sound like a small little speaker!

:-)

sludgeogre
06-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Move to a city. No lawns or driveways to shovel!.. That said, my back still hurts from carrying an F12 up 5 flights of stairs by myself last year.

I like what I've read about the XMC1- but it starts to get really expensive with an amp and then the add on boards. The Anthem seems simpler.

It's all kind of ironic because some of the sound customization I want is the ability to go LO-FI such as being able to watch the news or the mets games and have it sound like a small little speaker.

I hate traffic and being around lots of people. I like being in a small town for the most part. I'm a hermit =p

In regards to the upgrade boards, just remember you don't need the HDCP 2.2 board unless you want to go to 4K/HDR. The standard board does Blu-Ray just fine, and that's all I own, and I don't plan to get into 4K/HDR until that technology becomes the norm, and that's not going to happen for several years if at all. The Atmos board is only if you want to go with Atmos. I personally don't since I'm in a small room and I like to focus on making my 5 channels the best they can be.

In regards to an amp to pair with it, you don't have to buy an XPA Gen 3. I wish they still had the Gen 2 stuff because it was so much more affordable. If you go with an Outlaw or a used Gen 2 it makes it a lot easier to stomach. I paid $800 for my XPA-5 Gen 2 and $1700 for my XMC-1 with the 1.4b board and no Atmos board, so overall an insane deal.

I agree that some of the amp options for the XMC-1 are a bit expensive. If you don't need the insane customization of Dirac I'd just go with the BasX amps and the MC-700 processor, which are just incredible values, and you get 4K as well. Balanced is really overkill for a home theater system and sometimes I wonder how an MC-700 and BasX amp would sound in my room compared to my beast of a system I have now.

Blingleberry
06-01-2017, 02:01 PM
I agree that some of the amp options for the XMC-1 are a bit expensive. If you don't need the insane customization of Dirac I'd just go with the BasX amps and the MC-700 processor, which are just incredible values, and you get 4K as well. Balanced is really overkill for a home theater system and sometimes I wonder how an MC-700 and BasX amp would sound in my room compared to my beast of a system I have now.

Unfortunately Emotiva no longer runs sales or offer trade ins. So it just ends up being too expensive. Anthem's offering 500 off to upgrade to a 720. That probably makes the most sense.

I might try atmos some day. We own our apt and the way it's laid out in ceiling speakers could be easy and work out pretty well. I just need to hear and example of how it sounds somewhere which is on my list of eventual things to do.

First I just want to be able to have more EQ control over the center and surround speakers and to be able to tweak the room correction.

Thanks and cheers.

sludgeogre
06-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Unfortunately Emotiva no longer runs sales or offer trade ins. So it just ends up being too expensive. Anthem's offering 500 off to upgrade to a 720. That probably makes the most sense.

I might try atmos some day. We own our apt and the way it's laid out in ceiling speakers could be easy and work out pretty well. I just need to hear and example of how it sounds somewhere which is on my list of eventual things to do.

First I just want to be able to have more EQ control over the center and surround speakers and to be able to tweak the room correction.

Thanks and cheers.

Gotcha. Dirac and ARC are pretty much the only system which allows the tweaking that you have been mentioning, unfortunately. Only Dirac Live Full and ARC allow you to create your own target curves. Everything else only allows you to change setup parameters that won't customize the sound.

As for the sales, Emotiva had to choose between raising prices to make the sales profitable, or keeping prices low all the time. I'm glad they went with the latter.

Blingleberry
06-01-2017, 03:36 PM
I think with Arcam you can run the optimization but then change the EQ curves. No?

sludgeogre
06-01-2017, 04:26 PM
I think with Arcam you can run the optimization but then change the EQ curves. No?

I believe so. Sorry, totally forgot about Arcam. I never really consider them since it's so expensive to import gear.

curtis
06-02-2017, 07:00 AM
I like what I've read about the XMC1- but it starts to get really expensive with an amp and then the add on boards. The Anthem seems simpler. Also the 2 pending upgrades for the emotiva bother me as the atmos has to be done by them.

Yes, it does cost more when needing an amp. Once you have one though, you don't need to think about purchasing another for a long time.

racrawford65
06-02-2017, 07:35 AM
ARCAM uses Dirac, as well, from my research. However, I've seen on one or more forums that they may have an issue with their base management implementation.

I also looked at the XMC1, but after my experience with the UMC1, I'm hesitant to go that route. Do like their amps - I have both a UPA7 and UPA2.

You may want to look at Outlaw pre-pros, although I don't recall if they have room correction built in. They've recently introduced a new one, and apparently will introduce an Atmos version sometime this year. They generally have package (amp + pre-pro) deals which are in same ballpark as AVR.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take advantage of the 20% off and pick up an MRX720. Anthem has confirmed they are working on a firmware upgrade for Dolby Vision pass thru, which could be out in a month or so. My MRX510 has been trouble free, sounds great, and ARC does a great job in my room -- so, will be staying with Anthem.

sludgeogre
06-02-2017, 09:48 AM
I also looked at the XMC1, but after my experience with the UMC1, I'm hesitant to go that route. Do like their amps - I have both a UPA7 and UPA2.

The UMC-1 was quite a nightmare for many people. Emotiva learned quite a bit from that when they made the XMC-1 and it has been problem free for me. I had tons of issues with my Marantz AV7701 and I'm glad to be done with all of that.

racrawford65
06-02-2017, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the input on the XMC1, Alex. Sorry to hear about the Marantz.

curtis
06-02-2017, 03:02 PM

I'll be honest, I was very skeptical of the XMC-1, and not happy with how Emotiva handled issues in the past. I have even been to a couple of Emotiva events here in the LA area that did nothing for my confidence in them.

That said, I have acquaintances that have XMC-1's that are at least as critical as I am, and they were happy. I have also monitored issues. After starting to experience problems with my old AVR, I decided to take the plunge.

I ordered through a fellow Ascend owner that is a dealer for Emotiva. I thought my support fears were going to come true after being told there would be a delay due to the upgraded 2.0 HDMI board being on back order...this after being assured they had all the parts.

I settled on taking delivery with the 1.4 board. Then I had an issue with my license of the full version of Dirac, but after a couple of calls, that was handled with little hassle.

After all that, I have been very happy with the performance of the XMC-1. Dirac is very good to my ears when compared to Trinnov as far as room EQ goes, but now I have more flexibility (not that I need it).

What's left is getting delivery of the upgraded HDMI board when it's suppose to be ready in July.

I am still skeptical after all I've seen from/about Emotiva over the last several years, but there is no doubt that the XMC-1 is a very nice unit, and I'm very happy with it.

racrawford65
06-02-2017, 04:21 PM
Hi, Curtis.

Thanks for your inputs on the XMC1. I'm sure it sounds good - I thought the UMC1 sounded good, also. I also have one of their preamps (USP-1) and a pair of their EMD-1's that I used in my office system - no issues with either - both sound good.

Emotiva dealer? Curious, as I thought they were internet direct (used to be anyways).

I'd probably be fine with the XMC1 as an optional choice -- if the Atmos board was already available. It seems owners are generally happy with the unit. But, like you, I am skeptical of Emotiva - specifically when it comes to processors. I kept my UMC1 for several months whilst they continually promised to get it right and not start the 30 day return clock.. then, they started the return clock without informing customers...don't recall how I found out, but I did, and shipped my unit.

sludgeogre
06-02-2017, 05:18 PM
I thought my support fears were going to come true after being told there would be a delay due to the upgraded 2.0 HDMI board being on back order...this after being assured they had all the parts.

What's left is getting delivery of the upgraded HDMI board when it's suppose to be ready in July.

I am still skeptical after all I've seen from/about Emotiva over the last several years, but there is no doubt that the XMC-1 is a very nice unit, and I'm very happy with it.

In regards to the 2.0 board, they were delayed because of how popular the 2.0 upgrade has been for manufacturers. The HDMI process is apparently horrible and the companies that have the biggest volume always get parts before anyone else, and they always get tested and certified before anyone else. It's been very frustrating for Emotiva as they can't depend on any of the dates they are given. Other companies have shared the same frustration. Apparently it's a big reason why so many Hi Fi companies don't get into home theater.

In regards to being skeptical, I've never had an issue. I know they've had QC problems, but they stand behind their products and take care of people. It seems like their latest iteration of products have had very few issues, except for the MC-700 which had a bug in 10% of the first run of units that made them crash. It's hard to fault them for these things with stuff like the Red Ring of Death from the Xbox 360 and the Note 7 crazyness. QC is very difficult. I do it for a living in the chemical industry and getting to six sigma operations (99.997% perfect or 1 in 1 million failures) is an insane task that many gigantic companies can't even do.

Emotiva dealer? Curious, as I thought they were internet direct (used to be anyways).

I'd probably be fine with the XMC1 as an optional choice -- if the Atmos board was already available. It seems owners are generally happy with the unit. But, like you, I am skeptical of Emotiva - specifically when it comes to processors. I kept my UMC1 for several months whilst they continually promised to get it right and not start the 30 day return clock.. then, they started the return clock without informing customers...don't recall how I found out, but I did, and shipped my unit.

Emotiva started a dealer program about a year ago, but the prices remain the same as far as I know, so they take a big hit in profit from selling through dealers, but it increases their volume and allows them to produce cheaper at the same time, bringing profits back up.

The UMC1 was their worst nightmare. Those days are long over, but yeah, that was an event they'll never forget for sure.

curtis
06-02-2017, 06:13 PM
In regards to the 2.0 board, they were delayed because of how popular the 2.0 upgrade has been for manufacturers. The HDMI process is apparently horrible and the companies that have the biggest volume always get parts before anyone else, and they always get tested and certified before anyone else. It's been very frustrating for Emotiva as they can't depend on any of the dates they are given. Other companies have shared the same frustration. Apparently it's a big reason why so many Hi Fi companies don't get into home theater.

In regards to being skeptical, I've never had an issue. I know they've had QC problems, but they stand behind their products and take care of people. It seems like their latest iteration of products have had very few issues, except for the MC-700 which had a bug in 10% of the first run of units that made them crash. It's hard to fault them for these things with stuff like the Red Ring of Death from the Xbox 360 and the Note 7 crazyness. QC is very difficult. I do it for a living in the chemical industry and getting to six sigma operations (99.997% perfect or 1 in 1 million failures) is an insane task that many gigantic companies can't even do.

Alex, when we placed the order, and specifically asked them if they had the parts and an approximate shipping time, the answer was "yes" and "about a week". When no shipping notice was sent a week later, we called and asked what was going on "we don't have the HDMI board, we should have it next week". Another week goes by and another phone call to them "we don't expect to have the board for a couple of months".

I got the unit about a four weeks after I ordered it, initially expecting it about two weeks when I did order it. All communication was initiated by me or my friend. Emotiva did nothing proactively as far as communication to me/dealer was concerned.

IMO, that is terrible customer service, and justifiably fueled my skepticism...and continues to do so.

That all said, my XMC-1 works great!

sludgeogre
06-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Sheesh, that was a really dumb move on their part. Similar stuff has happened to me in the past. Sales guys always promise the world.

racrawford65
06-05-2017, 03:56 PM
Well, I did check with Emotiva on the XMC1 -- 6-8 weeks on the HDMI board (pre-req for Atmos upgrade). Said the Atmos upgrade would be about the same time. $499 for the HDMI, 599 for the ATMOS, discount for both at the same time to 1000. Not confirmed that it would pass Dolby Vision - said "should"....

So, about $1500 more than the mrx720 (with Anthem's current 20% off deal on MRX's.. not AVM60 unfortunately, or I'd consider that). Pulled the trigger on the MRX720 - should be here Friday. Will likely sell my MRX510 in a few weeks - once I've gotten the 720 in my system and run for a few weeks.

Next on the shopping list is my heights (or ceilings) - likely the HTM200's - fronts first, add rears later, as I can use some Def Tech 1000's I have lying around. So, probably be giving Dave or Dina a call tomorrow.

I've not decided whether to mount on the ceiling or high on the front/rear walls - from what I've read, the height route gives you 90+% of the Atmos affect, plus it's standard for DTSX, etc. so leaning heavily towards the height route. If any one has heard both layouts, opinions welcome.

Then, add the Oppo 203 and I hope I'm done for awhile......except for maybe a cartridge upgrade and a few more Symposium isolation devices on the rest of my sources. I was skeptical on these at first (like high $ cables), but these (Classic Inserts and Segue Iso) made a big difference for the better on my turntable.

Blingleberry
06-05-2017, 05:20 PM
Ah nice. I pulled the trigger on the 720 also. Should be lugging that sucker up 6 flights of stairs in a couple of days!

I need to learn more about atmos and even rear speakers. My rear's are fairly ineffective. And they're kind of location restricted. So I could instead do high fronts or 2 atmos. Or even both. I need to learn more about how it all compares.

Thx for all your help.

racrawford65
06-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Congrats! I think you'll really like the Anthem. Easy to set up/configure and ARC isn't too difficult. Mine is supposed to get here Friday -- no stairs for me as I'm in a 1-story!

Good place to start learning about ATMOS is the Dolby site...

I'll likely wind up moving from 5.1 to 5.1.4 do to my room / furniture layout - unless of course I change my seating and/or I decide to add a second E15 :-) From what I've read on forums, one should use 4 ATMOS (not 2) as it gives the best overhead effect. On-ceiling per the Dolby layout the best, followed by heights. My take on what I've read is that those up-firing ATMOS enabled speakers aren't really worth the effort/investment. Of course, we have to make the best of what our rooms allow.

So, maybe you could do front height / rear ceiling? Although, as I recall, the 720 only has amplification for 2 heights and you'd need an external amp for the second set of heights - I don't think you'd need to go overboard on the amp - maybe an Emotiva BasX or a Dayton from Parts Express (they've got a couple options under $200).

I'll be running 9 channels of external amps (even though the amps in the receiver are supposed to be excellent) as I have the amps - a UPA-2 for L&R, a UPA-7 for Center, Surrounds, and 4 heights. Now if I could only find a device that would let me trigger the 2 channel amp for music and both for surround/movies!

Blingleberry
06-06-2017, 07:09 AM
The one thing I'm nervous about is how the anthem will do 2 ch. I like the pure direct mode of my marantz. quite a diff in how it sounds vs the active circuitry modes.

I might see if I can get the dealer I'm buying the anthem through to come and do a walkthrough and make some recommendations regarding atmos and all that. I could go into the ceiling if I had to. But it would have to be perfect for my wife so I'd need help.

racrawford65
06-06-2017, 08:50 AM
I am quite pleased with the MRX510 in 2 channel direct mode.. listen to a lot of vinyl this way. The Anthem-music mode is also very good with vinyl.

Sounds like a good plan to also talk with your dealer. Have you dealt with him before?

Wife acceptance factor - I deal with that too... :-)

sludgeogre
06-06-2017, 09:00 AM
The one thing I'm nervous about is how the anthem will do 2 ch. I like the pure direct mode of my marantz. quite a diff in how it sounds vs the active circuitry modes.

I might see if I can get the dealer I'm buying the anthem through to come and do a walkthrough and make some recommendations regarding atmos and all that. I could go into the ceiling if I had to. But it would have to be perfect for my wife so I'd need help.

I enjoyed the direct mode on my old Marantz as well, but with Dirac on my XMC-1 I find that the Dirac setting is the best by far. I think it's because Dirac beats the pants off of Audyssey in every single way. ARC is apparently much better than Audyssey as well from everything I've read so you may prefer the ARC mode all the time as well.

sludgeogre
06-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Then, add the Oppo 203 and I hope I'm done for awhile......except for maybe a cartridge upgrade and a few more Symposium isolation devices on the rest of my sources. I was skeptical on these at first (like high $ cables), but these (Classic Inserts and Segue Iso) made a big difference for the better on my turntable.

Personally, if you're not using the expensive DAC inside of the Oppo, it's kind of pointless to buy that instead of a normal, much cheaper Blu-Ray player. The Oppo doesn't use Darbee anymore since they don't have a version for 4k. It's a lot more money for the same exact performance as any other 4k player since you'll be using your awesome new Anthem receiver. This is just my two cents. Some people seem to think the 203 has other values, but I don't see them unless you're using it as the processor.

curtis
06-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Personally, if you're not using the expensive DAC inside of the Oppo, it's kind of pointless to buy that instead of a normal, much cheaper Blu-Ray player. The Oppo doesn't use Darbee anymore since they don't have a version for 4k. It's a lot more money for the same exact performance as any other 4k player since you'll be using your awesome new Anthem receiver. This is just my two cents. Some people seem to think the 203 has other values, but I don't see them unless you're using it as the processor.
What UHD player would you suggest that has SACD, DVD-A, and the media/streaming capabilities that the Oppo has?

As far as a I know, there isn't one that has the same media set capabilities, but if there is that is less expensive, I'm all ears. :)

crazycuz2k
06-06-2017, 02:15 PM
What UHD player would you suggest that has SACD, DVD-A, and the media/streaming capabilities that the Oppo has?

As far as a I know, there isn't one that has the same media set capabilities, but if there is that is less expensive, I'm all ears. :)

I think he's referring to the Oppo UDP-205 which has the latest Sabre DAC (2038 pro) same as the one in the Oppo Sonica DAC. The other high quality streaming blu-ray disc player that is the Panasonic DMP-UB900, but it doesn't do SACD and it only does DLNA (no SMB).

racrawford65
06-06-2017, 02:32 PM
Crazycuz2k - I think Sludge is referring to the 203 as he mentions it in his post. You are right about no SACD on the Panasonic. Last I looked, it also retailed for more than the Oppo. Also, no Dolby Vision (DV) upgrade.

Curtis - the only other 4K blu-ray that I'm aware of that does SACD (which I only have a few of) is the Sony 800. This was my second choice. It retails at 250, but I doubt it will hold it's value similar to Oppo. Similarly, it's not confirmed that the Sony will release a firmware update for Dolby Vision. They may, or they may not - my guess is no, so they can release a new model next year with DV to get people to upgrade. So, I've ruled it out.

Oppo 203 doesn't have streaming apps (eg Netflix, Amazon Prime). From what I've read, I doubt they will. Not important to me as my TV has them, as does my FireTV (not 4K version). Rather they focus on providing best video/audio

My display supports DV (LG OLED 65E6), so I want to have this feature. Anthem has confirmed they will have a DV firmware update, perhaps in a month, so that's why I pulled the trigger (plus the 20% off thru June) now.

So, that leaves the Oppo or the LG player. I've owned 2 Oppo's (one of their DVD's, and currently use the 103D) -- both have performed flawlessly, excellent build quality, and Oppo support is top notch (eg firmware updates, respond to emails, etc.). Plus, I can configure the Anthem to use HDMI for movies and analog in (so analog out from the Oppo) for 2 channel. I've not researched capabilities of the LG - it's as much as the Sony, and looks to be of lesser build quality.

So, the Oppo is worth the extra couple of hundred over the less expensive options to me. I may or may not sell the 103D to offset the cost.

crazycuz2k
06-06-2017, 02:54 PM
You may be right or his reasoning isn't sound as the DAC in the 203 isn't the reason I bought it. It was for the PQ and versatility. I also own the 103D which I'm hesitant to sell just because of the looser cinavia implementation which I find annoying in my network streams as well as the tidal/streaming apps.

The Panasonic UB900 does have a higher MSRP but does go on sale/get discounted unlike the OPPO players.

racrawford65
06-06-2017, 03:33 PM
Not so sure I'd say his reasoning isn't sound - just an opinion. Plus, everyone has different drivers for their purchase decisions. Like you, I'll get the Oppo due to PQ/upscaling abilities, SACD/DV capability, build quality, support, and good experience with the brand.

The Oppo is likely after the height/top speakers. I also want to do some research into Darbee's plans for 4k, and whether Oppo might release a 203D in the near future.

curtis
06-07-2017, 01:03 AM
I currently have the old BDP-83, and a disc player is next on my upgrade list.

Currently I use JRiver to play my media files. It would be nice to get the 203 and not have to use JRiver...one less box. The user interface just isn't as nice, but nothing as flexible when it comes to media/files.

sludgeogre
06-07-2017, 08:16 AM
I don't see SACD as a feature I need. It's a dead format and I don't own any and don't want to. If you guys need that, I guess it's worth talking about and buying the player for it.

As far as picture quality, all 4K players are the same, unless they will support different HDR formats like Dolby Vision in the future, so I guess that can be a concern for those that want to get the latest and greatest formats and update their TV/projector every year. Still no word if there is going to be a future for Darbee in the 4K world. It's all moving so fast I doubt they can keep up.

Oppo stated at some point that they won't be doing streaming in their players because it's easy to buy a streaming player stick and just plug it into the Oppo, or, since most TV's have all the apps included now, just go that route.

curtis
06-07-2017, 11:32 AM
I don't see SACD as a feature I need. It's a dead format and I don't own any and don't want to. If you guys need that, I guess it's worth talking about and buying the player for it.

Oppo stated at some point that they won't be doing streaming in their players because it's easy to buy a streaming player stick and just plug it into the Oppo, or, since most TV's have all the apps included now, just go that route.
I'm not referring to streaming services, I'm referring to music media I have on my home network. I have thousands of music files on a NAS drive...I'll never give up that convenience. Having access to Tidal through it would be nice though.

SACD as a media may be going by the way side(people have been saying that for years), but I do have discs that I enjoy. Also, dsf/dsd music media that isn't going away anytime soon.

Sure, if you don't need those features, then it's no big deal

Alex, for someone that loves the sound of quality components, I am very surprised you are are not into hi-res music.

For me, it's all about having access to quality sound to play on my Ascends!

racrawford65
06-07-2017, 02:52 PM
SACD as a media may be going by the way side(people have been saying that for years), but I do have discs that I enjoy. Also, dsf/dsd music media that isn't going away anytime soon.

Same was said about vinyl and rock & roll :-)

racrawford65
06-07-2017, 03:00 PM
As far as picture quality, all 4K players are the same, unless they will support different HDR formats like Dolby Vision in the future, so I guess that can be a concern for those that want to get the latest and greatest formats and update their TV/projector every year. Still no word if there is going to be a future for Darbee in the 4K world. It's all moving so fast I doubt they can keep up.

I'd agree with that assuming it's done right. I've seen complaints (eg Samsung) about being too red or something along those lines. I think some upscale better than the others, and I still have a lot of regular DVD's...not rebuying most just because of resolution change.

Don't have to upgrade TV/projector every year - I certainly don't. I had my previous plasma for like 6 years. Dolby Vision is a feature I want, so made sure my display supported it. Appears a lot of people seem to think DV is better than HDR, at least on some of the threads on AVS.

curtis
06-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Same was said about vinyl and rock & roll :-)
Don't get me started on vinyl!!!

curtis
06-07-2017, 03:50 PM
Don't have to upgrade TV/projector every year - I certainly don't. I had my previous plasma for like 6 years. Dolby Vision is a feature I want, so made sure my display supported it. Appears a lot of people seem to think DV is better than HDR, at least on some of the threads on AVS.
Dolby Vision upgrade firmware for 203/205 just became available.

racrawford65
06-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Thanks, Curtis. I saw that - apparently it was in the Beta release that came out last week (I think) - according to the 203 owner's thread on AVS...

sludgeogre
06-07-2017, 07:27 PM
I'm not referring to streaming services, I'm referring to music media I have on my home network. I have thousands of music files on a NAS drive...I'll never give up that convenience. Having access to Tidal through it would be nice though.

Alex, for someone that loves the sound of quality components, I am very surprised you are are not into hi-res music.

I could be wrong, but many players and certainly consoles allow the use of the Plex app to connect to a NAS. A lot of TV's have it now, too. Many of those expensive media servers and other ways of accessing a NAS are not necessary when something like Plex is around. Just my preference I guess.

I do own a bunch of 24/96 high resolution downloads, especially of anything Steven Wilson has put his hands on. I have a bunch of other stuff that I love as well. The thing is that I'm 90% a death metal fan, and there's very little of it in high res, and it's basically pointless to do it high res because of the way they record. You're not going to squeek out much more detail depending on the band and how they mix and master. It's just a reality of the music. There is positively zero DSD/SACD music out there that I want. None. It's all genres that I have zero interest in. George Benson's Breezin' is probably the only disc I'd even consider owning (I grew up with that album, it's my Dad's favorite).

Between my computer, turntable, PS4, Xbox one, and Nvidia Shield, I can play every single format there is except SACD/DSD.

curtis
06-07-2017, 09:43 PM
I could be wrong, but many players and certainly consoles allow the use of the Plex app to connect to a NAS. A lot of TV's have it now, too. Many of those expensive media servers and other ways of accessing a NAS are not necessary when something like Plex is around. Just my preference I guess.

I do own a bunch of 24/96 high resolution downloads, especially of anything Steven Wilson has put his hands on. I have a bunch of other stuff that I love as well. The thing is that I'm 90% a death metal fan, and there's very little of it in high res, and it's basically pointless to do it high res because of the way they record. You're not going to squeek out much more detail depending on the band and how they mix and master. It's just a reality of the music. There is positively zero DSD/SACD music out there that I want. None. It's all genres that I have zero interest in. George Benson's Breezin' is probably the only disc I'd even consider owning (I grew up with that album, it's my Dad's favorite).

Between my computer, turntable, PS4, Xbox one, and Nvidia Shield, I can play every single format there is except SACD/DSD.
That's just it...why use something like Plex/JRiver, if you didn't have to? One high quality device to play all media...the Oppo! BTW...JRiver software is pretty cheap. I have a JRiver iD...a Linux box specific for JRiver, it was around $250 total, and the user interface on the iPhone/iPad is very nice, almost Roon like.

Everything piece of music media you use the computer, XBox, PS4, NVidia Shield for...can be handled by the Oppo and more. No vinyl for me.

My AV sources are a TiVo Bolt, Apple TV4, Oppo BDP-83, and the JRiver iD. If I got a 203, the JRiver would be gone. If the TiVo Bolt could handle DirecTV Now or SlingTV, the Apple TV4 would probably be gone(although I use it to Airplay Tidal from my phone). Hulu is now offering live TV streaming, and Hulu is supported by the TiVo Bolt, so I'm hoping the live TV will be supported some day on it.

For me, it is about simplifying my sources, while not losing my playback capabilities and sound quality.

OK...understood about death metal and the lack of it on SACD.

crazycuz2k
06-08-2017, 09:29 AM
My 103D then 203 did replaced something similar. I had a dedicated HTPC hooked up to my TV, mainly because at the time it was the only device that could bit stream lossless audio formats. Having the Oppo has been a game changer in terms of usability and aesthetics. I thought about the Nvidia shield but I still needed a physical media player and I already own a FireTV and AppleTV. Now everything is accessed via an 20 gb hard drive hooked up to my router via USB.

sludgeogre
06-08-2017, 01:46 PM
That's just it...why use something like Plex/JRiver, if you didn't have to? One high quality device to play all media...the Oppo! BTW...JRiver software is pretty cheap. I have a JRiver iD...a Linux box specific for JRiver, it was around $250 total, and the user interface on the iPhone/iPad is very nice, almost Roon like.

That's an interesting question for sure. I have asked myself that and it came down to the fact that I have my computer on 90% of the time anyway so I may as well make it my media server at the same time for whatever devices I want to access it on. When I'm on my other system I usually just plug my iPhone in and go direct to the receiver's iPhone input with my Bandcamp app or podcasts.

One of these days when I have a lot of spare time and cash (when will that day come already?!) I'd like to mess around with a Raspberry Pi from HiFiBerry and set it up as a music server or just a music player with a 7" or so touchscreen. It would look really cool in my theater and I could even get some different home automation stuff running on it if I really wanted to.

curtis
06-08-2017, 03:11 PM
One of these days when I have a lot of spare time and cash (when will that day come already?!) I'd like to mess around with a Raspberry Pi from HiFiBerry and set it up as a music server or just a music player with a 7" or so touchscreen. It would look really cool in my theater and I could even get some different home automation stuff running on it if I really wanted to.
Raspberry Pi and KODI...inexpensive and works well.

As for automation, I just set my AV system up with Alexa and a Logitech hub. "Alexa, turn on JRiver" and my AV system comes on ready for me to play a song. "Alexa, turn on TV" and the whole system comes on ready to watch TV. If already on a different source it will switch the proper proper one. It will shut off the sources that are not being used. To top it off, it syncs with the Logitech remote so the remote controls the proper source/functions. Pretty geeky, but awesome.

sludgeogre
06-08-2017, 05:12 PM

As for automation, I just set my AV system up with Alexa and a Logitech hub. "Alexa, turn on JRiver" and my AV system comes on ready for me to play a song. "Alexa, turn on TV" and the whole system comes on ready to watch TV. If already on a different source it will switch the proper proper one. It will shut off the sources that are not being used. To top it off, it syncs with the Logitech remote so the remote controls the proper source/functions. Pretty geeky, but awesome.

Damn, that's intense! Well done! I'm still living in the 1990's with a bunch of enormous remotes. I hate the XMC-1 remote so much. A giant, heavy brick WITH NO BACKLIGHT. Ugh. UGH!

curtis
06-08-2017, 11:53 PM
Damn, that's intense! Well done! I'm still living in the 1990's with a bunch of enormous remotes. I hate the XMC-1 remote so much. A giant, heavy brick WITH NO BACKLIGHT. Ugh. UGH!
That XMC-1 remote can be a weapon. Luckily, once the XMC-1 is setup, you really don't need its remote.

sludgeogre
06-09-2017, 08:09 AM
That XMC-1 remote can be a weapon. Luckily, once the XMC-1 is setup, you really don't need its remote.

Unless you're cheap like me and still using the remote for input and volume control because I don't want to shell out money for a new remote because of my new Warmachine tabletop game addiction and there's so many cool new movies to buy ><

racrawford65
06-09-2017, 10:53 AM

That does sound cool. I'll need to look into this setup...

Blingleberry
06-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Got my Anthem! Now I need to start setting it up. Looks like I also need to make some decisions about rear speakers and/or atmos soon. Should get to work on it Sunday.

racrawford65
06-09-2017, 05:17 PM
Mine came today, as well. Swapped it in for the MRX510. All set up - just need to run ARC...

Next on the list -- HTM200's, most likely, for ATMOS

racrawford65
06-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Got my Anthem! Now I need to start setting it up. Looks like I also need to make some decisions about rear speakers and/or atmos soon. Should get to work on it Sunday.

How's your set up coming along? Ran ARC yesterday...everything I've tested so far sounds excellent - perhaps even a bit better than the 510, which was no slouch.

Blingleberry
06-12-2017, 08:50 AM
I did a quick arc and it sounds better than the marantz for HT already. I need to redo it a little more carefully. For Music I need to see what I like best. I also need to figure how the speaker profiles I want.

Getting my Harmony remote updated was a pain as the anthem template isn't that complete but I eventually figured it out.

The manual is pretty bad and I have a few questions. I have my speakers setup in a 7.1 config but the rear speakers could either be around 4' off the floor on a shelf or on top of the bookcase and near the ceiling. I think I'd rather have them by the ceiling. But I'm not sure how to configure height speakers and the amp settings. So I just used basic 7.1 for now.

Also the subwoofer connections for my powered sub is confusing. The two RCA outs labeled subwoofers aren't marked for red/white or L/R so I don't know whether they're even the right connections. Although they work OK so who knows. Or should I be using the Pre sub outs?

racrawford65
06-12-2017, 10:22 AM
At least there is a paper manual :-)...

As to speaker profiles, per manual pg 40 doesn't seem necessary. I didn't with my 510. I didn't with the 720 either - at first. But for fun (??), I did also try 4 different configs / ARC runs -- one 5.1, one 4.1 (no center), one 2.1, and another 5.1 with different mic positions. I still have listened enough to see if it makes a difference versus one profile with different processing options set per input.

I suggest 7.1 as you have it. If you add a pair of front heights, then I'd redo as 5.1.4. From what I read on Atmos, 2 height/top speakers doesn't really do it justice. Effect is better with 4. Of course, you could play around with 7.1 (your rears set as rears) or 5.1.2 (your rears as rear heights) and see what you like best.

There is no red/white or L/R with subs. If you have one sub, use only one of the sub rca outs from the mrx720 (the rca jacks next to the chassis ground) into one RCA on the sub...it usually doesn't matter (what sub do you have?). Not sure what you mean by pre-sub out. I'm 99% sure that the two outputs on the mrx720 have the same signal (it's just an internal Y-splitter) for folks that have two subs..

OK..lunch over for me.. back to work

Blingleberry
06-12-2017, 10:40 AM
Ah, thx!

I have an F12 sub. I'll change it to just use one wire.

I was referring to the Main Pre-out section which also has a sub output.

racrawford65
06-12-2017, 02:56 PM
Nice sub. I figured that's what you were referring to -- it's the only sub outs that I can see in the manual.

I've got a couple of guides for the PEQ3 amp and set up, using room correction, etc. I'm not sure how to attach here, so I'll see if I can send them by PM. I think this is the same amp as yours.

Blingleberry
06-12-2017, 03:50 PM
I went through arcam more carefully today and it sounds even better. We'll see what the wife thinks as she has better ears. Basically so far it's setup for 7.1 full HT.

I need to figure out how to switch between the audio configurations for other settings. I figure I'd create 4 profiles like these:

Full HT
Late night, less bass and more dialog focused
Audio only 2.1 with minimal processing
Audio surround

I also need to learn more about the various decoder features.

racrawford65
06-12-2017, 05:45 PM
Yup - a lot to learn. I think you meant ARC, not arcam (another brand :-) ).

The easiest way to accomplish this is by setting the listening mode for 2 channel or multi channel signals in each input configuration. Even if your speaker config is 7.1, if it's a 2 channel source, it will only play in 2 channels (unless, of course, you add processing). For less bass, perhaps a speaker config with either the subwoofer off (7.0) or use a 7.1, but reduce the subwoofer by "X" db and increase the center by "y" db in the level calibration menu for that speaker config.

Blingleberry
06-12-2017, 05:46 PM
Ah, yes thanks. That makes sense.

Blingleberry
07-14-2017, 07:22 AM
My anthem impressions so far:

I ran ARC a little more carefully and pretty much have been totally satisfied. Dialog is much more understandable. We can run at much lower volumes and understand what's going on. There's no need to cycle through the surround modes trying to find something that sounds better like I'd constantly do with the Marantz.

The sound is great with CD's or Vinyl. I do need to dig through the settings to play around with it a bit more to have profiles for music perhaps. But I just haven't bothered. It sounds fine as is.

Probably the one thing I need to think about is what to do with the rear speakers, which don't seem to be that effective in their current location and setup. They're high up on the back wall. I could perhaps out them high up on the front wall. Or maybe tweak the ARC settings.

Otherwise, I am really satisfied with the Anthem. Super glad I bought it.

Thanks for your help! The 500$ off was a clincher for me.

racrawford65
07-14-2017, 06:47 PM
No worries! Glad your enjoying the Anthem!

Did you configure the rears as rear height or just rears? If the first, you may try reconfiguring as rears (so traditional 7.1).

Blingleberry
07-17-2017, 09:17 AM
No worries! Glad your enjoying the Anthem!

Did you configure the rears as rear height or just rears? If the first, you may try reconfiguring as rears (so traditional 7.1).

They're configured as rears not heights. Think it makes more sense to perhaps move them to Front Heights or reconfig as Rear heights?

racrawford65
07-18-2017, 03:52 AM
OK. Next question - why do you feel they are not that effective in current position? Based on movies or music? If movies, perhaps the movie itself doesn't have a lot of "sound" mixed to the rears. No opinion on music as I mainly listen in 2 channel (typically no processing, although Anthem Music is pretty good). Very rarely 5.1.

If they aren't "aimed" at your listening position, have you tried that? Alternately, have you lowered them to the same plane as your surrounds & mains to see how that sounds?

Third option would be to try as front heights. I think this would be better than just rear heights - at least based on what I've read. The alternate is to add a pair as front heights, configure your current as rears, and run 5.1.4 (assuming you have a sub).

Blingleberry
07-18-2017, 11:44 AM
Good advice.

I'm basing it on movies not music. We don't watch many bluerays - usually just streaming (apple tv, amazon, or TV). So I guess there's not a lot of rear content.

I've had the rears in a few diff positions. So maybe I'll try them in the front. That would 5.1.2? Does the anthem handle that?

How you liking yours? I just love that we don't strain to hear what anyone's saying these days

Thx!!

racrawford65
07-19-2017, 04:38 AM
Yes - it is a variant of 5.1.2. 5 are the "ear level" speakers (eg, Front L, Front R, Center, Sur. R, Sur. L ); 1 is the subwoofer; 2 are the ATMOS (height/ceiling speakers). Yes, you can configure the Anthem for Front (or Rear) heights/ceilings. See page 7 in the manual for different speaker configs (you can interpret the on-ceiling as heights, as well) and pages 17/18 for amp/speaker configuration. You'll need to rerun ARC, as well.

I am liking the 720 and it's ATMOS capability. It was an upgrade from the 510, which was an upgrade from previous Yamaha. I think ARC works better then the YPAO. The Yamaha sounded good, but I think the Anthem sounds better.