PDA

View Full Version : Sierra 2's a worthwhile upgrade from B&W?

Ron B
12-30-2016, 05:34 AM
I already own the Sierra Towers for my living room (100% classical music). I now want to have a spare bedroom setup so that I can also use it for my primary dedicated music listening as well (since my daughter and baby grandson have moved in with us).

I currently have two 16 year old B&W 602 S2 bookshelf speakers that I've moved to this bedroom. They were highly regarded in their day and cost $600 for the pair.

Will buying the Sierra 2's be a noticeable upgrade for my classical music listening in this spare bedroom? The room is about 10 x 14 with sloping ceilings on two sides and I've been told this is a better environment than a square box room. Money is not a major concern but I'm cheap and don't want to spend money on something I won't really notice. BTW, my son has the Sierra 1's and I was really impressed at how great they sounded in his home theater set-up.

Thanks for any advice.

Mag_Neato
12-30-2016, 10:59 AM
It would absolutely be worthwhile. I had a pair of original 602's that had the gold tweeter with lens. I bought a pair of CBM-170's to compare. I ended up selling the B&W's.

Ron B
12-31-2016, 02:08 PM
Thanks, Mag Neato. I appreciate your opinion.

Ron B
01-13-2017, 11:33 AM
I just got my new Sierra 2's and of course had to hook up the two LR ones immediately to hear a CD. Wow, I am impressed. They are noticeably superior to the B&W 602 S's in my opinion. More bass, imaging, and better soundstage.

My Sierra Towers are in a large room with a lot of open doorways, staircase, etc. and although they sound very good, I find it interesting how much better the Sierra 2's sound in my dedicated space with much better room properties and my sweet spot seating. Haha it is true what they say about room treatment.

sludgeogre
01-13-2017, 12:12 PM
I just got my new Sierra 2's and of course had to hook up the two LR ones immediately to hear a CD. Wow, I am impressed. They are noticeably superior to the B&W 602 S's in my opinion. More bass, imaging, and better soundstage.

My Sierra Towers are in a large room with a lot of open doorways, staircase, etc. and although they sound very good, I find it interesting how much better the Sierra 2's sound in my dedicated space with much better room properties and my sweet spot seating. Haha it is true what they say about room treatment.

Right on, glad you like them. I used to have my towers in a big open room as well, and now I'm in a ~1800 cu ft room with them and I can hear every little detail in everything, even without room treatments (yet). Just having even reflections in the room seems to open up the detail in a big way.