PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Sierra 1"s with NRT Center?

doctors11
12-13-2016, 07:50 AM
Hi all, looking for some advice. I'm very close to ordering Sierra 1's for LCR. I can't afford the NRT upgrade on all three so was wondering if you had any thoughts on doing an NRT center with non NRT left and rights? Having heard neither I'm hoping, for music, the standard model would sound wonderful, but I'm worried my 58 year old ears might enjoy the greater clarity of a NRT center for movies. 50/50 movies/music. Just ordered the Oppo 203 and am jumping into sacd/dvd-a for the first time. Symphony, big band, classic rock etc., most in multi channel. Will the different tweeters mess up the sound for music? Thanks

Dan

sludgeogre
12-13-2016, 06:07 PM
The problems that having different tweeters can create is not worth the trouble, IMO. I think it is much more satisfying to have everything match perfectly, rather than have one speaker sounding different/better than the others. It can be distracting. I'd stick with the same tweeters all around. Even the tweeter on the HTM 200 SE is pretty awesome and is leagues ahead of any tweeter I've heard from Klipsch, JBL, and those kinds of speaker companies.

doctors11
12-14-2016, 05:20 AM
Thanks Sludge. I had a feeling that would be the case. Anyone out there using the standard Sierra 1 center? Currently I've got a Def Tech Pro Center 1000. Can I assume I'll hear a nice improvement with the Sierra?

curtis
12-14-2016, 02:18 PM
That's pretty subjective. I would say yes, and in anycase, definitely different.

doctors11
12-15-2016, 12:22 PM
Thanks Curtis. I'm also considering waiting for the Luna center. Do you think it will be available with the standard Sierra tweeter? Those should blend well...no? I wonder how long until those will be available...

curtis
12-15-2016, 03:05 PM
Thanks Curtis. I'm also considering waiting for the Luna center. Do you think it will be available with the standard Sierra tweeter? Those should blend well...no? I wonder how long until those will be available...
Did Dave say he is even going to produce a Luna center?
Why not a Sierra-1 as a center? It is excellent.

dtsequoia
12-15-2016, 03:58 PM
Did Dave say he is even going to produce a Luna center?
Why not a Sierra-1 as a center? It is excellent.

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?6102-New-for-2016-Introducing-the-Sierra-Satellite-or-%93Sierra-Sat%94-for-short!&p=55489#post55489

Post 450

doctors11
12-15-2016, 04:27 PM
Sierra 1 center is doable but I'd have to raise our TV a couple of inches. It's a Samsung plasma with an awkward stand that would need a couple of blocks to make it above the height of the Sierra. Any guesses how the Luna center's sound would compare with the Sierra's if both had the same tweeter? ie, would the Luna blend well as a center to LR Sierra's?

curtis
12-15-2016, 09:24 PM
Sierra 1 center is doable but I'd have to raise our TV a couple of inches. It's a Samsung plasma with an awkward stand that would need a couple of blocks to make it above the height of the Sierra. Any guesses how the Luna center's sound would compare with the Sierra's if both had the same tweeter? ie, would the Luna blend well as a center to LR Sierra's?I would imagine they would sound somewhat similar, but that is up to Dave. On top of that, the use of the one of the softdome tweeters seems to be a lower priority than the RAAL...so you are going to be waiting a while. Dave doesn't take shortcuts to getting something into production.

doctors11
12-16-2016, 09:05 AM
...and we're all glad he doesn't. :) So I guess I'm left with two choices. Order three Sierra 1's now and lift the TV, or order two 1's and continue to use my Def Tech until the Luna center is finalized...what would you all do?

mattyhoops
12-16-2016, 09:44 AM
Hey Dan,

I have Sierra 1's as my LCR. Just got them this past July. I upgraded from old Boston Acoustics CR series from the 90s. It was a huge upgrade in 'fullness' of sound, especially male voices, and dialogue intelligibility. I have them all crossed at 80 htz. I have not heard the NRT tweeter or your Def Tecs to compare, but I would be surprised if you're not happy with dialogue intelligibility and clarity with the standard Sierra 1.

I listen to music more now than I ever have because it sounds so good! I listen in stereo with the sub and it is so much better than the old Bostons. They couldn't image at all, ha.

dtsequoia
12-16-2016, 10:45 AM
I say all S1's. I think you'd be most happy going that route.

doctors11
12-17-2016, 08:04 AM
Thanks Matty and dt! Looks like I'll be calling Dave and Dina Monday. The anticipation is killing me. I greatly appreciate everyone's help. Happy weekend!

mattyhoops
12-21-2016, 07:20 AM
Thanks Matty and dt! Looks like I'll be calling Dave and Dina Monday. The anticipation is killing me. I greatly appreciate everyone's help. Happy weekend!

Dan, did you order them? If so, when will you get them? Let us know what you think. I'm excited for you! :D

doctors11
12-21-2016, 08:30 AM
Yes, got the order in with Dina. She said 2-4 days for assembly then UPS ground with tracking info. I'm in North Carolina so with the holidays and all I guess it will be awhile. That's OK, I just got the Oppo 203 yesterday. The owners manual is like reading a tech book and I'm on post #2830 on the 203 owners thread on AVSforum. Daunting to say the least. Can't wait til it's all set up, dim the lights, pour a glass of wine and start the music! :o

mattyhoops
12-21-2016, 08:55 AM
Yes, got the order in with Dina. She said 2-4 days for assembly then UPS ground with tracking info. I'm in North Carolina so with the holidays and all I guess it will be awhile. That's OK, I just got the Oppo 203 yesterday. The owners manual is like reading a tech book and I'm on post #2830 on the 203 owners thread on AVSforum. Daunting to say the least. Can't wait til it's all set up, dim the lights, pour a glass of wine and start the music! :o

Great! I live in VA and I ordered mine right before July 4th. With the holiday I believe it took 7-9 days to get them. The waiting was tough. Oppo 203 should be nice. I listen to most of my music through the google play music service. Streams at 320 kb/sec. Good enough for me. I am getting a turntable tomorrow. Never done much with vinyl. It should be fun!

doctors11
12-21-2016, 09:19 AM
What kind of turntable? I bought a Music Hall mmf 2.3 a year ago. The Oppo will be my first jump into sacd and dvd-audio.

mattyhoops
12-21-2016, 11:52 AM
It's a standard one from probably the 70s, haha, MCS 6502. Putting in a new belt and a Shure M97E cartridge (something like that). See how much I enjoy vinyl before I spend much more money on it.