PDA

View Full Version : Small, cheap and used powered Sub?

Blingleberry
09-19-2016, 04:07 PM
I'm considering trying a sub with my S2's. I want to keep it below $400. Used is fine.

I won't crank it, it will be very subtle. I have downstairs neighbors and don't want to drive them crazy. (I hate explosions anyway) It's mostly for music but also TV/Movies. If it's small enough I could tuck it behind my TV and keep it off the floor. I was looking at a sunfire junior (8") that was only 9" square that seems to have respectable ratings.

Also saw a few 10" speakers on ebay. I probably don't think I should go bigger tho.

Thx

sludgeogre
09-19-2016, 06:25 PM
If you're looking for quick bang for your buck, the Pioneer subs by Andrew Jones are pretty legendary for value. It's not going to be super accurate and tight like a Rythmik, but it'll give you great depth and warmth to the LFE on movies. I've heard one in a friend's big open loft and it did a great job of making things sound nice. Again, it's not going to dig down and rattle your chest, but you're not looking for that, so I think this would be a perfect match for you, and they are dirt cheap. There are even a ton of people that mod them and swear by them. At this price you could even buy two and have stereo subs. That would be even better for eliminating room modes and keeping the sound even across the room. I'd really recommend doing that if you want to spend the cash, and you're still under $400.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SW-8MK2-Designed-100-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B008NCD2PC

There is nothing that will compete with it at that price. I don't know of any other sub under $400 that I would recommend. The next step up from that is around $500 to 600 bucks.

theophile
09-19-2016, 06:46 PM
I'm considering trying a sub with my S2's. I want to keep it below $400. Used is fine.

I won't crank it, it will be very subtle. I have downstairs neighbors and don't want to drive them crazy. (I hate explosions anyway) It's mostly for music but also TV/Movies. If it's small enough I could tuck it behind my TV and keep it off the floor. I was looking at a sunfire junior (8") that was only 9" square that seems to have respectable ratings.

Also saw a few 10" speakers on ebay. I probably don't think I should go bigger tho.

Thx

BB,

IMO, the compact Rythmik L12 (at just 25% more than your budget), would be a great starter sub that should be "extremely musical", accurate and only as loud as YOU want it to be! It will give you future expand ability and should integrate very well with your S2 Monitors (they deserve it) for both music and HT!

I started with a well rated $300 10" Velodyne that sounded like #%&@$ (couldn't stand it), then very quickly stepped up to a quality sub. "Bass Fidelity" was a Huge Improvement (in the +500% range) over the sub par 1st sub attempt in my Music\HT room!! :o

Go cheap and maybe quickly regret it...spend a little extra now and be very happy long term! :cool:

My .02 cents,

Ted

Blingleberry
09-20-2016, 06:21 AM
Thx - definitely will look into that Pioneer sub.

Ted, How is the L12 expandable?

14er
09-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Thx - definitely will look into that Pioneer sub.

Hey Blingle, I found the Elite version for $380

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Pioneer-Elite-SW-E10-Powered-Subwoofer?language=en&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KEQjwvIO_BRDt27qG3YX0w4wBEiQAsGu3eQfEOQ_K PrDBg_S9YCjZkYbWM7Khnv9Sv8F36_WiLMsaAi6Y8P8HAQ

Blingleberry
09-20-2016, 06:35 AM
Thx! But I don't think I can do a downward firing speaker. My LR is right above my neighbor's BR!

Blutarsky
09-20-2016, 06:46 AM
I would look for a used one.

theophile
09-20-2016, 06:51 AM

The L12 might be more sub than you currently want\need, but you'll be all set with a great musical sub for future relocation into your own place with a Larger HT Room! ;)

Blingleberry
09-20-2016, 10:24 AM
I'm interested in the L12, but it is a little large. I almost made the plunge for an F8 on clearance, but someone snatched it before I could. But it's kind of too big too. The room's not so small, but it just is nice to have less crap in the apt. Would be nice if Rythmik made a single 10 or 8". But others do that I guess I'll look more closely at and look used.

I was curious what you said about L12 being something I could upgrade. Did you mean trade up instead?

davef
09-20-2016, 02:31 PM

Thx

I would strongly recommend splurging a bit and going with the L12. It is as good as you can get at this price point to matching the transient response of the Sierra-2, which is an important factor when choosing a sub to use with our speakers.

If you can't swing it, take a look at the HSU VTF-1.

theophile
09-20-2016, 07:28 PM
I was curious what you said about L12 being something I could upgrade. Did you mean trade up instead?

BB,

Dave says it All HERE (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?6326-Small-cheap-and-used-powered-Sub&p=54936#post54936) !! :o

Ted

Jaybeez
09-20-2016, 08:57 PM
BB,

Go cheap and maybe quickly regret it...spend a little extra now and be very happy long term! :cool:

My .02 cents,

Ted

+1 on this. I picked up a cheap Polk sub (404 I think) and very very quickly traded up to a Rhythmik.

theophile
09-21-2016, 02:57 AM

Sorry for the confusion. My overall suggestion is to "trade-up now", as in spending a few $$ more and getting, as Dave strongly recommended, a sub he knows matches (L12) the world class sound of the Sierra 2's!

If you take that L12 plunge now, I'm sure you'll be well satisfied in your overall quality of sound, and even happier when you set up a future HT in a new listening environment that has "no downstairs neighbors" to be concerned with! :D

Ted

Blingleberry
09-21-2016, 09:42 AM
Thx. I may have to wait for a clearance deal or used. Someone has a six year old F12 on ebay. Might make a go for it.

theophile
09-21-2016, 02:34 PM
A workable used F12 sub at a great price (value of $1K) would be the perfect musical match you might Ever Need with the Sierra 2's...Good Luck! :cool:

If that doesn't pan out, although a little bit larger, here is the 7-year warranty HSU VTF-1 (http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1mk3.html) that Dave was referencing, just at your stated budget!

Ted

Blingleberry
09-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Looking at all of the various options, I'm considering a single rhythmik. I think my choices are between the F8 on sale, F12 on clearance or eBay, or the L12. Any suggestions?

Thx!

natetg57
09-23-2016, 01:21 PM
Looking at all of the various options, I'm considering a single rhythmik. I think my choices are between the F8 on sale, F12 on clearance or eBay, or the L12. Any suggestions?

Thx!`

I think those are all great options! I have two of the L12s and really like them. The F12 will have more output and slightly better sound quality than the L12 but it might be harder for you to add a second one later on. I don't know much about the F8 but I hear it sounds great but may not extend quite as deep.

Blingleberry
09-25-2016, 08:09 AM
Well, I found a used F12 and went for it. We'll see how it goes when I get it!

Its a lot larger than what I was interested in and hopefully won't be noticeable to the downstairs neighbors. Sound wise I think I'd want to set it to be as subtle as possible anyway. So hopefully at a low setting, with some roll off for movie sub sonics (which I don't like much anyway), it shouldn't shake the building.

If Rhythmic had a 8" or 10" single speaker model, that probably would have been preferable. Sound and size wise but also, I'm not exactly looking forward to carrying the speaker up 5 flights of stairs!

theophile
09-25-2016, 08:50 AM
Well, I found a used F12 and went for it. We'll see how it goes when I get it!

Congrats BB,

If it was the F12 that just finished on bay, nice catch!!

Hopefully you have access to a dolly for those stairs...be careful! It'll be easier getting it set up and without rumbling the building, should integrate and compliment the excellent bass sound of the S2's. :o

Best thing is you have "The Sub" for a future room on a slab that will carry your music and HT needs into the future!!

Good Luck,

Ted

Blingleberry
09-25-2016, 12:51 PM
Thx!

Yeah, I could sense a bidding war on that one, and decided to give up. Lucky for me I had to take a leak at 6 am and saw there were just a few seconds left for a hail mary!...

I'll never have a slab under me. Apartment living for us for the foreseeable future. But we do have a small 2nd floor where my small home music studio is. And no one would care if I used the sub up there!

sludgeogre
09-25-2016, 02:43 PM
Awesome choice. I have two F12's and love them. I have them on SVS SoundPath isolation feet and my duplex neighbors have never complained, FWIW. Make sure you keep the rumble filter on and they won't make any of those crazy rumbly noises that other subs make. The servo design keeps them from wasting energy on shaking the enclosure around so that should make your neighbors much less likely to notice it. Keep the volume down, though, because it can really dig deep.