PDA

View Full Version : Finally made the Sierra 2 plunge

Blingleberry
08-29-2016, 12:58 PM
Finally made the Sierra 2 plunge. I have a Cherry LR and center coming very soon.

Hope I love em as I really hate shopping for stuff!!

Going to try Pangea LS300 24" stands.

Thx all for various help and question answering.

kyzersoze98
08-29-2016, 10:42 PM
Congrats on your speaker purchase. Did you go with Sierra 2 as your center or the horizon? What were your previous speakers?

Blingleberry
08-30-2016, 06:35 AM
Thx. Sierra 2 center. Horizon is just too large for the current cabinet.

mikesiskav
08-30-2016, 11:00 PM
Congrats! You'll be very happy with them.

dislocatedday
09-02-2016, 07:09 PM
You likely will not be disappointed with them. Every speaker i owned previously had a mid-bass hump. That sound can be pleasing and "warm sounding" but it can mask the mid and upper frequencies. The sierra 2 is so neutral, and the woofer and tweeter stop on a dime with superb decay times like no other speaker I have heard.

I bought my Sierra 2s approximately a year and a half ago for my fronts and center, and have not regretted it one iota. In fact since I started using them I basically do not even read "speaker threads /forums" on the Web as I have no interest in any other speakers at his stage. I just enjoy my Sierra 2s.

monkuboy
09-03-2016, 08:24 AM
You likely will not be disappointed with them. Every speaker i owned previously had a mid-bass hump. That sound can be pleasing and "warm sounding" but it can mask the mid and upper frequencies. The sierra 2 is so neutral, and the woofer and tweeter stop on a dime with superb decay times like no other speaker I have heard.

I bought my Sierra 2s approximately a year and a half ago for my fronts and center, and have not regretted it one iota. In fact since I started using them I basically do not even read "speaker threads /forums" on the Web as I have no interest in any other speakers at his stage. I just enjoy my Sierra 2s.

Gee, you wrote exactly what I would have written, except I got my Sierra 2's in July of last year. Been totally pleased with them since day one. No more speaker threads! The RAAL tweeters are amazing.

Blingleberry
09-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Thanks guys - much appreciated. We'll see.

Thanks to Chase being suspicious of the charges, my delivery's set back another few days. Looking forward to setting everything up and listening....

Jaybeez
09-06-2016, 09:18 PM
My bet is you won't regret the purchase in any way. Make sure to pay close attention to set up (position, etc.) and speaker height. Once you find the sweet spot, you should be really, really happy!

Mag_Neato
09-07-2016, 05:04 AM
....Make sure to pay close attention to set up (position, etc.) and speaker height. Once you find the sweet spot, you should be really, really happy!

Yes....proper positioning will make an ordinary speaker very good, and a great speaker like the Sierra-2.....magical!

Blingleberry
09-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Hmm. I don't have a lot of flexibility in location. Basically on each side of the TV. But they can be ~1 to 2 feet from the back wall. And I bought 24" stands that should be the right height for the couch.

http://billwolf.com/temp/home1.jpg

curtis
09-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Hmm. I don't have a lot of flexibility in location. Basically on each side of the TV. But they can be ~1 to 2 feet from the back wall. And I bought 24" stands that should be the right height for the couch.

http://billwolf.com/temp/home1.jpgside surrounds aren't in the right location.
They should be directly to the side or slightly behind the seating area.
Have you seen the Dolby specs?

Blingleberry
09-08-2016, 07:37 AM
I had them further back but it didn't really sound that great and they were more in the way. Doesn't seem to be much of a problem with them where they are. Ball games and the usual surround stuff sounds fine. I look at the surround option as somewhat novelty.

That said, what made me want to upgrade my speakers in the first place (17 year old Sound dynamic 300ti 3 ways) is that when listing to music it sounds much better with the side speakers on (orbs), as the orbs just add a lot of mids and highs. But I hate listening in the artificial surround modes. So that started me looking for speakers with a more high end than what I had for my mains, which eventually led me to sierras....

Thx!!

curtis
09-08-2016, 05:54 PM
I had them further back but it didn't really sound that great and they were more in the way. Doesn't seem to be much of a problem with them where they are. Ball games and the usual surround stuff sounds fine. I look at the surround option as somewhat novelty.

If you like them where they are, great. I was just wondering if you tried the recommended Dolby or ITU standards.

Multi-channel/hi-res music and home theater, for me, is more than a novelty...as important as two-channel.

Blingleberry
09-09-2016, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I'm not a home theater nut. I have a great pioneer plasma though that still seems better than nearly all of the newest screens.

I've tried the surrounds in diff locations, used audesy xt, etc (I have a marantz 5009). Its all toys to me and I have given up and instead just set the levels and eq manually to my tastes. I might try to upgrade the receiver someday once the speakers settle in.

Its hard enough to find a movie that's watchable lately. I go to a movie maybe once a year and even that's too much! If it has good surround sound, that's totally secondary. My main interest is hearing the dialog. Otherwise I like listening to music, which I usually do in pure mode.

I do like ball games in surround and that's about it.

mikesiskav
09-09-2016, 04:11 PM
Pioneer plasmas are great. My mom has one of the Elite models and it still looks better than most other TVs out there.

Blingleberry
09-13-2016, 11:23 AM
It's the monitor only version of the 50" elite. Unfortunately it looks so much better than anything new I've seen, that it's preventing me from upgrading to a 65! The dark blacks in particular are amazing. And my girlfriend likes noire-esqe depressing foreign movies!

mikesiskav
09-13-2016, 09:24 PM
I picked up an LG OLED for myself. Although not perfect, the picture is pretty awesome. The blacks are even better than plasma.