PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Tower RAAL Upgrade

vanstevens
06-27-2016, 11:04 AM
I have been offered a good deal on a pair of Sierra Towers w/NRT dome tweeter. I just wanted to check to see if I could order the RAAL ribbon tweeters to upgrade them myself even though I was not the original purchaser.

Also, is a different crossover used with the RAAL tweeters or is the tweeter itself the only difference?

Thanks in advance!

curtis
06-27-2016, 11:29 AM
I have been offered a good deal on a pair of Sierra Towers w/NRT dome tweeter. I just wanted to check to see if I could order the RAAL ribbon tweeters to upgrade them myself even though I was not the original purchaser.

Also, is a different crossover used with the RAAL tweeters or is the tweeter itself the only difference?

Thanks in advance!
It's a crossover and tweeter change...and not
A DIY job...the cabinet needs to be modified.

natetg57
06-27-2016, 12:42 PM

Thanks in advance!

My understanding was that it was highly recommended that you send the towers in to be modified but if you have the tools and the skills you could do it yourself. Perhaps that changed...Best to call or send an PM to Dave.

vanstevens
06-27-2016, 12:54 PM
I would be fine sending them in to have it done. To clarify, when I said 'to upgrade them myself' I don't mean DIY. I mean for me to have it done as opposed to him having it done. I just want to make sure that they will take them from me since I would not be the original buyer.

theophile
06-27-2016, 01:21 PM

Thanks in advance!

VS,

Welcome to AA!

I hope you are planning to give the NrT Towers a "good listen" first, as in Your room and with Your musical taste, they may well be the end all of expected performance! :D

Good luck,

Ted

gonefishing
06-28-2016, 05:45 PM
I auditioned these recently with the NrT's at a friends home. I was sold on the sound and ordered the Sierra Towers with the NrT's. So if you haven't already, give them a good listen first and then decide. I was not convinced that my ears would hear the difference of the RAAL. I may be wrong and have to upgrade later, but for now I am good with the NrT tweeter. Cannot wait for them to arrive.

davef
06-29-2016, 10:53 AM

Thanks in advance!

The conversion over to the RAAL version of the tower is quite a bit of work and difficult for someone to do themselves. Letting us do the conversion is the best option and yes, we do offer this service :)

Simply give us a call or send me a PM and I would be happy to discuss with you.