PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic Grills

doctors11
05-19-2016, 12:01 PM
Hi all. Now that Dave's cabinet maker has perfected introducing magnetic grills on the Sats, I was wondering if we might see this feature included on the other established speakers in the line up. I've got my eye on some new Sierra 1's later this year and would love for them to have the magnets.

Any thoughts?

theophile
05-19-2016, 01:47 PM
Hi all. Now that Dave's cabinet maker has perfected introducing magnetic grills on the Sats, I was wondering if we might see this feature included on the other established speakers in the line up. I've got my eye on some new Sierra 1's later this year and would love for them to have the magnets.

Any thoughts?

I'll soon be getting Piano Black Sierra-2's and would also be interested in the clean looking cabinet lines and ease of removal\reinstalled grills that a magnetic attachment would offer. I'd even be willing to pay extra for that feature!!!

Ted

davef
05-25-2016, 07:24 PM

Any thoughts?

With the towers and US built Sierra-1/Sierra-2 cabinets, it is a bit more complicated as we need to redesign the grilles to add some additional bracing. Reason being is that when installed on a cabinet with grille posts, these posts add needed support to the grille itself. With magnets, there is no support of the grille frame.

This is something we will start looking into, based upon how well the solution works for the sats. At a minimum, implementing this will be quite a ways off.

I'll soon be getting Piano Black Sierra-2's and would also be interested in the clean looking cabinet lines and ease of removal\reinstalled grills that a magnetic attachment would offer. I'd even be willing to pay extra for that feature!!!

Ted

All Piano Black cabinets are built at our overseas cabinet maker. I am not sure if they have the capability to implement this in the same method we have with our local cabinet maker. It is something we will certainly investigate but it will take time.

doctors11
05-27-2016, 08:18 AM
Thanks for your response Dave. I never thought about the re engineering needed on the grills to make them sufficiently strong without the posts. Makes sense though. Please keep us posted on any further developments along these lines. And for the record I love reading through your forums. Can't wait to pull the trigger on my first pair. (Putting my youngest through college eats up a lot of "Ascend" $...worth it though) Good things come to those who wait. :)

Dan

SGCSG1
06-04-2016, 12:17 PM
I would be all over a pair of Sierra-2's with magnetic grills.

No rush, I can wait.

PS: Different, but related topic.... no black satin bamboo on Sierra-2's? ?

davef
06-06-2016, 08:48 PM
I would be all over a pair of Sierra-2's with magnetic grills.

No rush, I can wait.

PS: Different, but related topic.... no black satin bamboo on Sierra-2's? ?

We have Sierra-2 available in all of the same finishes as the towers and horizons, including the satin black bamboo :) Simply give us a call or send an email...