PDA

View Full Version : CBM-170 SE or CMT-340 SE for apartment

desmond3273
04-19-2016, 01:46 PM
Good afternoon all. I am in need of some help. I currently have a 2.1 Orb Audio setup for an apartment set up. I think it is time for an upgrade. After looking at a lot of different speaker manufacturers I think Ascend offers the best product for my money. I live in an apartment, thankfully on the first floor. I sit fairly close to the speakers at a distance of about 7 feet. My question is would the CBM-170s or CMT-340s work best for a smallish living room? These will be used primarily for gaming/movies and also tv watching. My goal is for these to sound so good my wife will want to listen to more music with me.

Thanks for time.

sludgeogre
04-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Good afternoon all. I am in need of some help. I currently have a 2.1 Orb Audio setup for an apartment set up. I think it is time for an upgrade. After looking at a lot of different speaker manufacturers I think Ascend offers the best product for my money. I live in an apartment, thankfully on the first floor. I sit fairly close to the speakers at a distance of about 7 feet. My question is would the CBM-170s or CMT-340s work best for a smallish living room? These will be used primarily for gaming/movies and also tv watching. My goal is for these to sound so good my wife will want to listen to more music with me.

Thanks for time.

You are very much on the right track. Ascend offers incredible value since they don't waste money on marketing and distribution. If you call Dave or Dina at Ascend they would love to talk to you and help you out.

I think you'll be happy with either of those speakers, but the CMT-340's will fill a really, really big area with sound. It might be overkill for you. The CBM-170 SE can be used for monitoring applications in near field, which is basically what you're doing. The CBM-170 SE measure incredible flat, especially for its price. I would go with a pair of those, but certainly please contact Dave and talk to him before you pull the trigger. He will alleviate any and all of your concerns and set you up right.

curtis
04-19-2016, 04:01 PM
I've done this comparison in the past. The 170 is vastly superior to the Orb, you will be much more satisfied. The top end and bottom end is where you will notice it the most.
Will you be upgrading your sub as well?

desmond3273
04-19-2016, 06:17 PM
Yes but not right away. Replacing my entry level Sony receiver with a NAD integrated. Thank you for the response.

curtis
04-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Yes but not right away. Replacing my entry level Sony receiver with a NAD integrated. Thank you for the response.
Honestly, I think replacing the Orb sub first will make more of a sonic difference.

desmond3273
04-20-2016, 08:59 AM
Honestly, I think replacing the Orb sub first will make more of a sonic difference.

Forgive me for being a newbie but I thought the biggest difference would come from the electronics. How do you think the Rythmik L12 would mate with the CBM-170s?

sludgeogre
04-20-2016, 09:24 AM
Forgive me for being a newbie but I thought the biggest difference would come from the electronics. How do you think the Rythmik L12 would mate with the CBM-170s?

It always depends on what you have and where you want to go. In your case, I agree with Curtis that replacing your sub first should be a priority.

The Rythmik L12 will go great with the CBM-170's. You'll be very pleased.

desmond3273
04-20-2016, 09:34 AM
It always depends on what you have and where you want to go. In your case, I agree with Curtis that replacing your sub first should be a priority.

The Rythmik L12 will go great with the CBM-170's. You'll be very pleased.

Thank you very much. You have been very helpful.

desmond3273
05-05-2016, 10:11 AM
I was wondering if anyone has compared the CBM-170s to the HTD Level 3 bookshelf speaker? I work close to HTD and I have listened to them on a couple of occasions and just curious if anyone has experience with both?

curtis
05-06-2016, 06:27 PM
I was wondering if anyone has compared the CBM-170s to the HTD Level 3 bookshelf speaker? I work close to HTD and I have listened to them on a couple of occasions and just curious if anyone has experience with both?
I have heard a few different HTD's over the years, and none could compare to the Ascend offerings/price points.
HTD has a good trial policy...take advantage of it.

choombak
05-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Smallish living room imply CBM-170 SE. When you move to a larger space, add the CMT-340 SE as LCR and move the 170 for rear surround duty. As someone suggested, please talk with Dave or Dina and they will get you going! Good luck. :-)

Johnny_Mac_III
05-19-2016, 06:35 AM
One other aspect you might want to consider is the design of both speakers. With the MTM design of the 340 you will get better imaging due to the controlled dispersion.