PDA

View Full Version : Decisions... Decisions

sonicboom
04-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I just can't find where. So please allow me to ask again.

I am debating between two set-ups for my upgrade path:
1) Sierra 2 + Rythmik sub
2) or Towers RAAL without sub.

The set up is mainly for music with occasional movie watching.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Daniel

sharkman
04-02-2016, 10:05 PM
I ran a pair of high end Paradigm towers for a few years with no sub, but a couple of factors need to be considered. How much bass do you like or prefer? I have no experience with the Sierra towers, but a Rythmik sub would certainly provide more bass. Also, what power would you be running the speakers with as 80 wpc would not give as much performance as say 200.

MusicHead
04-03-2016, 06:22 AM
I would go with bookshelves + sub, even for a system geared more toward music.

With towers you may end up having to choose between best positioning for imaging and best positioning for good quality bass.

With a separate sub you can "decouple" the two and if you spend some time in a careful integration between mains and sub you get the best of both.

Even more so with a Rythmik sub. I have the L12 and it is great with music while having more than enough kick for movies.

This is just one of the many opinions you are going to get :-)

RPM
04-03-2016, 07:00 AM
There is a third option, Towers NRT & Rythmik. The Pro review on the Towers was with the NRT
and I have been extremely happy with this combo. The dedicated midrange and much higher
Power handling capabilities are the advantages I experienced from my Sierra bookshelves.
If at later time you wanted to change to the
Raal it is possible, but recommended done by Ascend.