PDA

View Full Version : Oh no... My cat...

DeliciousSounds
03-26-2016, 10:34 AM
Today is a sad day all.

This morning was listening to my Sierra Towers when I noticed the grill had a slight hole in it.

Ugh a cat had started to use it as a post, annoying that maybe some dust will get in but oh well...

Then take the grill off to look inside and notice he had ripped into part of the bottom subwoofer!! Essentially an inch wide flap exists now on the outermost rim that's sticking out. So it's folded back in place naturally but has a clear gap around it.

#$@&#@$&#@%

Having owned these less than a year and been very conscious about how expensive they are this is absolutely devastating :(.

So now I have 4 questions:.
1. How will this affect my sound in the short term?
2. How expensive will this be to get fixed?
3. Is there any way to get a non-fabric grill?
4. Thoughts on declawing a 3 year old cat :(

Edit: resized my pic to be able to upload so attached to witness the heartbreak1282

dtsequoia
03-26-2016, 12:15 PM
I bet if you email Dave he will talk to you about buying a new woofer and replacing it. Easy fix.

Ben

PS - Don't declaw your cat. It is a very painful experience for them at doing it at 3 years old would be even worse.

Good luck!

Blutarsky
03-27-2016, 08:51 AM
Might be fine the way it is, is the tear getting larger?

DeliciousSounds
03-27-2016, 08:58 AM
I don't think so... They seem to sound fine...

RPM
03-27-2016, 05:37 PM
I don't think so... They seem to sound fine...

Sorry to hear that happened......just knowing it was there would drive me crazy,
I would replace that woofer and it's good as new....😀

theophile
03-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Might be fine the way it is, is the tear getting larger?

A little Duck Tape...good as new! :rolleyes:

Mag_Neato
03-27-2016, 07:06 PM
Spray some Windex on it......

Blutarsky
03-27-2016, 09:39 PM
A little Duck Tape...good as new! :rolleyes:

If you try tape use Gorilla Tape. This stuff is stickier and longer lasting than duct tape plus it is black. I have had it last for 10 years outdoors in a sunny location. Cut it with scissors so no frayed edges.

theophile
03-28-2016, 07:39 AM
If you try tape use Gorilla Tape. This stuff is stickier and longer lasting than duct tape plus it is black. I have had it last for 10 years outdoors in a sunny location. Cut it with scissors so no frayed edges.

Great tip...however, good luck pulling it off your fingers! :eek:

With great care, you could even "weld" the tear seam with super glue first, then apply the GT! :confused:

Dave's eyes (and most others) are a rolling now... :rolleyes: ;)

Best Bet...Replace the whole driver!!! :D

curtis
03-28-2016, 10:45 AM
Replace the driver!!

DeliciousSounds
03-28-2016, 03:59 PM
Gave the ol' call into Ascend today...

Looking at a bit less than $120 including shipping. Could be worse but man still feeling pretty devastated by the whole scenario as these speakers actually feel like children to me:p.

While I'm mulling when the right time is to just go and replace it--I've taken off the grills permanently to avoid this scenario happening again. Speaking with them on the phone, it sounds like there's no extra worry or hassle when having them off. I was initially concerned dust and hair would get inside and mess with the speakers or something but doesn't look like that's a thing.

In retrospect, no grills from the beginning could have avoided all this but hindsight is 20/20...

Ugh, need a support group.

Another question that just came to mind--do I void my warranty by replacing the subwoofer myself??

theophile
03-28-2016, 06:11 PM
DS,

Quick story to make you feel better:

30 years ago, had new $2k tower studio monitors. Got up Christmas morning to find the 14 year old had an arrow slip through his grasp and shot out the left tower dome midrange! :mad:

Replaced the midrange...wife prevented me from having to replace the teenager (Thank God)! Actually with 3 younger siblings, it could have been Much Worse! I count my blessings as Life happens...live and learn!! :cool:

Ted