PDA

View Full Version : Audessey Blues

rsmt2000
03-26-2016, 04:11 AM
Hi

I upgraded my avr to one with audessey xt32. It sets my Sierra towers to " small" which is what I am supposed to set to any way as I have a sub woofer but the current avr always sets them to " large". But what worries me is that it sets the crossover for front two speakers to 120Hz. I tried a few more times and now set it to 110 Hz. The crossover for horizon is set to 60Hz.

May I know how to correct the situation. In the past I am told not to lower the frequency as audessey won't be setting the filters down below its recommended cross over frequency.

Thanks
Ron

sludgeogre
03-26-2016, 08:48 AM
How many calibration points are you using with the microphone? They recommend 6-8.

Mine usually sets things where I like them, but I've manually adjusted the crossovers before with no problem, although it usually sets them at 40 or 60 hz, but I have XT, not XT32.

Blutarsky
03-27-2016, 08:48 AM
It does depend upon your room too. Audessey might have hit the nail on the head. You can manually change for your preference.

I currently use YPAO and this has set my Crossovers at 110 Hz a couple of times. It sounded pretty good for Theater but I manually reset to 80 Hz because the sub was too boomy for music.

B.

davef
03-28-2016, 07:24 PM
Hi

I upgraded my avr to one with audessey xt32. It sets my Sierra towers to " small" which is what I am supposed to set to any way as I have a sub woofer but the current avr always sets them to " large". But what worries me is that it sets the crossover for front two speakers to 120Hz. I tried a few more times and now set it to 110 Hz. The crossover for horizon is set to 60Hz.

May I know how to correct the situation. In the past I am told not to lower the frequency as audessey won't be setting the filters down below its recommended cross over frequency.

Thanks
Ron

Ron, I am somewhat confused. You mentioned Audyssey XT32 in the new receiver set the towers to large. This is exactly where I would expect Audyssey to set them. You then mentioned that it also set the crossover to 120Hz. When Audyssey sets the speakers to large, it does not set a crossover.

Are you sure you are not confusing the LFE LPF setting (typically 120Hz) with the "crossover" setting? The two settings are not the same, the LPF setting is the low pass filter for the LFE channel and 120Hz is correct.

astr0b0y
03-28-2016, 10:59 PM
As I read it the old AVR set the speakers to large and the new one sets them to small but with a xover of 110 Hz.
Don't forget, Audyssey does not make the decision on small or large, the AVR does based on what results Audyssey passes to it.
It is strange that this is happening especially given the Horizon is being set to 60 Hz. In my room the Horizon comes back at 40 Hz and the Sierra-2s at 60 Hz. Maybe it's the position of the towers but I'd be more likely to troubleshoot the way you're doing the Audyssey calibration (do all 8 positions, make sure the mic is always in line of sight of the speakers etc.) or reset the AVR and start from scratch.

rsmt2000
03-29-2016, 04:30 PM
Ron, I am somewhat confused. You mentioned Audyssey XT32 in the new receiver set the towers to large. This is exactly where I would expect Audyssey to set them. You then mentioned that it also set the crossover to 120Hz. When Audyssey sets the speakers to large, it does not set a crossover.

Dave,

You are correct. I was saying it incorrectly. The new AVR set the towers to "small" and setting the cross over to 120Hz. I am not talking about LPF frequency which is set to 120Hz.

Thanks Ron

rsmt2000
03-29-2016, 04:35 PM
As I read it the old AVR set the speakers to large and the new one sets them to small but with a xover of 110 Hz.
Maybe it's the position of the towers but I'd be more likely to troubleshoot the way you're doing the Audyssey calibration (do all 8 positions, make sure the mic is always in line of sight of the speakers etc.) or reset the AVR and start from scratch.

You got it right astr0b0y.

davef
03-29-2016, 10:22 PM
Dave,

You are correct. I was saying it incorrectly. The new AVR set the towers to "small" and setting the cross over to 120Hz. I am not talking about LPF frequency which is set to 120Hz.

Thanks Ron

So the old AVR with Audyssey set them to large and the new one set them to small. My understanding is that it isn't actually Audyssey that sets this parameter, but the receiver itself using the manufacturer's interpretation of the data.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it, just make sure that you have the towers connected in proper phase (positive to positive / neg to neg etc.) and if that is correct, simply manually adjust the crossover down to 60 or 80Hz..