PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Sierra 1's

Needspeakers
03-18-2016, 08:39 AM
I'm ready to upgrade from my old (25 years) Wharfedale Denton bookshelf speakers. Unfortunately I don't have the manual for the speakers and cannot find any information online regarding their performance. I do think however that they were pretty good quality speakers for their time and actually, to my ears, sill play pretty well. One issue that I have is that I can't play them as high as I'd like since the woofer seems to pop at high volumes (someone suggested that the woofer was trying to go past its excursion limit.

I am currently using a Yamaha A1020 Aventage receiver to drive the Wharedale's and a Rhymic lv12r sub. My room is relatively large, around 25 x 16 x8 feet with openings into the kitchen and other room on one side. Wharfedale's are presently inside my AV cabinets either side of the tv however intent would be to stand mount the Sierra's.

At the top of my list are the Sierra 1's however I'd like some feedback on the difference I'm likely to hear from the Sierra's compared to the Wharfedale's. I'm assuming that the Sierra's would permit me to play them a little louder and that I'll hear much more detail than I do from the Wharfdale's (although I think they are pretty good in this respect).

Appreciate your thoughts and feedback.

Jaybeez
03-21-2016, 08:47 PM
I just pulled the trigger on Sierra 2s which I'll pick up on Friday (I'm local to Ascend).

They are replacing a set of Polk Monitor 7s which I've had a bit longer than your Wharfdales.

I considered re-capping the Polks, but one listen to the Ascends, and it was a lost cause.

The Sierra 1s are amazing speakers. Clear, detailed sound stage and impressive bass, midrange and high end.

I went for the Sierra 2s as they will go in a treated recording studio as part of a 2.1 system, and were just enough more detailed in the mid to high range to warrant the extra expense. I'm listening to more and more hi def music, so the Sierra 2's will make a big difference.