PDA

View Full Version : Ascend Sierra-2 Upgrade

bradf
01-16-2016, 01:47 PM
I am a long-time Sierra-1 owner who just purchased a pair of Sierra-2s for use in my two channel system devoted to music. I am running the Sierra-2s with an Acurus DIA 150 integrated amp so I have no problem in playing them loud. I am enjoying the musicality, clarity and accuracy of the Sierra-2s; however, I just relocated my primary stereo system to a 16 x 24 room (the speakers placed on the 16 foot wall) and I feel that the size and depth of the sound stage could be improved upon. I am looking for guidance from Dave F. and/or the community on the most cost-effective way that I can improve the sound stage. I wonder whether the Towers (with the RAAL tweeter) would do the trick, but frankly do not want to make the significant investment to get there. The other option, which I have never explored in a stereo system but would cost less money, is the use of one of the Rythmik subwoofers. Given that many of the posts on the Towers suggest that those speakers performance is enhanced by a subwoofer (or two), I'm left to wonder if just the introduction of a single subwoofer would serve my purpose. I am also curious which of the subwoofers would serve the purpose. Some posts seem to suggest that the F8 would work best in a stereo-devoted setup. I presume that I would simply run speaker cables from my amp through the subwoofer to the speakers. I look forward to your thoughts.

davef
01-21-2016, 07:21 PM
I am a long-time Sierra-1 owner who just purchased a pair of Sierra-2s for use in my two channel system devoted to music. I am running the Sierra-2s with an Acurus DIA 150 integrated amp so I have no problem in playing them loud. I am enjoying the musicality, clarity and accuracy of the Sierra-2s; however, I just relocated my primary stereo system to a 16 x 24 room (the speakers placed on the 16 foot wall) and I feel that the size and depth of the sound stage could be improved upon. I am looking for guidance from Dave F. and/or the community on the most cost-effective way that I can improve the sound stage. I wonder whether the Towers (with the RAAL tweeter) would do the trick, but frankly do not want to make the significant investment to get there. The other option, which I have never explored in a stereo system but would cost less money, is the use of one of the Rythmik subwoofers. Given that many of the posts on the Towers suggest that those speakers performance is enhanced by a subwoofer (or two), I'm left to wonder if just the introduction of a single subwoofer would serve my purpose. I am also curious which of the subwoofers would serve the purpose. Some posts seem to suggest that the F8 would work best in a stereo-devoted setup. I presume that I would simply run speaker cables from my amp through the subwoofer to the speakers. I look forward to your thoughts.

Hi Brad,

Speaker soundstage and "depth" is mostly determined by the room and placement. Room modes and reflections have a tremendous negative effect on soundstage.

That said, since you are wondering if a subwoofer will improve the soundstage -- are you sure you are using the term "soundstage" properly? A subwoofer will add deep bass, impact and a fullness to the overall sound - but the bass produced by a sub is non-directional, and as such -- will technically have no effect on the soundstage.

Soundstage, the audio term, is the system's ability to virtually recreate the "stage" that the recording took place in. It is complicated, the Sierra-2 does this exceptionally well and is very true to the actual recording. Some recordings may present a very small / flat stage (depending on how the recording was mic'ed) while others present a wide and deep stage. Some speakers will create a fake stage, such that all recordings present as wide and deep -- but this is not accurate.

If what you are experiencing is a lack of fullness in the sound (in that size room running without a sub, highly possible) -- upgrading to the towers or adding a subwoofer is definitely beneficial.

If you want an even more accurate soundstage - speaker placement and room treatments are really the only method.

Please post a pic of the front of your room - it will be very helpful :)

Thanks in advance!