PDA

View Full Version : How Robust Are The CBM Inserts

sonicboom
01-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Hi all.

I am planning on using the threaded inserts found in the back of the CBM 170s for wall mounting the speakers. Speaker mounts will be Omnimounts.

My concern is the load bearing strength of the inserts themselves. Those who have mounted their CBMs this way, kindly chime in.

Dave, some reassurance on the robustness of the threaded inserts, please.

Thanks,
Daniel

DougMac
01-13-2016, 12:04 PM
Daniel,
I fly 170s for side surround and 200's for back surround. I use Omnimounts to fly them. I've had this setup for four years now and haven't had any problems. You should have no problems.

How much clearance will you have? The 170's have a rear port and do better with a little room behind them.

davef
01-14-2016, 12:49 AM
Hi all.

I am planning on using the threaded inserts found in the back of the CBM 170s for wall mounting the speakers. Speaker mounts will be Omnimounts.

My concern is the load bearing strength of the inserts themselves. Those who have mounted their CBMs this way, kindly chime in.

Dave, some reassurance on the robustness of the threaded inserts, please.

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Provided you use both threaded inserts, there are no concerns. This is precisely why the 170's have these threaded inserts on the back - and the Ominmounts will integrate perfectly.

sonicboom
01-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Thank you, Dave and DougMac.

sonicboom
02-04-2016, 11:41 PM
Hi everyone.

Are the screws that came with the inserts in the back of the CBMs the ones to use for wall mounting? Or do I need to get "better" screws?

Daniel

davef
02-08-2016, 11:50 PM
Hi everyone.

Are the screws that came with the inserts in the back of the CBMs the ones to use for wall mounting? Or do I need to get "better" screws?

Daniel

I am not sure what you mean by better screws? The included screws are standard 1/4-20, no other thread size would fit.

sonicboom
02-09-2016, 01:38 AM
I could have used the included screws but the wall mount I'm using has a thick faceplate rendering the included screws too short. So I went to the hardware store to get longer 1/4-20 screws. But I found out that the specs are actually metric. The screws are M6-1.00 and fit perfectly.

Mag_Neato
02-09-2016, 12:05 PM
I could have used the included screws but the wall mount I'm using has a thick faceplate rendering the included screws too short. So I went to the hardware store to get longer 1/4-20 screws. But I found out that the specs are actually metric. The screws are M6-1.00 and fit perfectly.
While a M6X1 screw will, technically, fit in a 1/4"-20 tapped hole, it is not recommended. The pitch and diameters will be close but not really machined to work together. Cutting into the threads is possible and proper tightening will not be achieved.

If you can replace them with proper 1/4"-20 screws I would do so.

davef
02-09-2016, 12:31 PM
While a M6X1 screw will, technically, fit in a 1/4"-20 tapped hole, it is not recommended. The pitch and diameters will be close but not really machined to work together. Cutting into the threads is possible and proper tightening will not be achieved.

If you can replace them with proper 1/4"-20 screws I would do so.

If I recall, a large batch of 170 cabinets had M6 inserts.

Mag_Neato
02-09-2016, 12:43 PM
If I recall, a large batch of 170 cabinets had M6 inserts.

Well, then, in the words of Emily Litella.......Nevermind!!