PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on set-up

Charlie
01-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Is there anything about the following set-up which raises any red flags as far as anything being incompatible or a poor match up?

OPPO 105 player
Rega Elex-R integrated amp
Sierra 2s

I'm wondering if the Rega is underpowered?

130 sq ft room. Jazz, Classical played at reasonable levels. Sitting about 10 ft from speakers.

Thanks in advance.

edgeh2o
01-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Is there anything about the following set-up which raises any red flags as far as anything being incompatible or a poor match up?

OPPO 105 player
Sierra 2s

130 sq ft room. Jazz, Classical played at reasonable levels. Sitting about 10 ft from speakers.

Thanks in advance.

Looks like an excellent match to me. I have Sierra-1 x 3 and I usually have all 3 playing for music from my Onkyo TX-SR707 which is 100x2 W, so probably 70x3 W or less, and I approach my own limits before any power limitation, so you should be more than fine.

Johnny_Mac_III
01-11-2016, 06:18 AM
Reasonable is very subjective, but as long as you don't play above 75 db, you will give your amp sufficient headroom for almost all but a very few select albums. If you start to play louder than that, I believe you may run out of headroom. So, use a spl meter and test tones to find out where 75 db is on the Rega Elex-R knob and just don't move the knob past that. Hope this helps.

davef
01-11-2016, 04:31 PM

OPPO 105 player
Sierra 2s

Thanks in advance.

Definitely no red flags. With the Rega and at 10ft back, you will be able to reach peaks of ~100dB with the pair of Sierra-2. This is, at least in my opinion, much louder than most music listeners will ever listen at. In addition, the OPPO 105 is also a great choice -- this is what we use in our demo room :)

Charlie
01-26-2016, 09:16 PM
OK - I'll try to make this my last question re: set-up.

OPPO 105
Sierra 2s
NAD 356 BEE

I'm hoping that this would be a decent starter set-up with a "better" integrated amp added a few years down the line if I find something that really stands out. I like the tone controls regardless of the arguments against (older guy). It appears to have enough juice to drive the speakers.

I auditioned another int amp with another brand of bookshelf and the top got a bit shrieky. I'm told that the NAD is on the warmer side so I think it might suit me. May audition in the near future if you guys think it pairs well with the S2s.

Would consider any other recommendations for an integrated (pref with tone controls).

Thanks again.

MusicHead
01-28-2016, 06:03 AM
Marantz PM8005, but more expensive than the NAD:

http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=HiFiComponents&SubCatId=&ProductId=PM8005

Outlaw RR2150, less expensive, more power, but a "different" look...

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

I have not audition either, but they both have a good reputation. I had a NAD for many years, a T-752 AVR, and it sounded quite good on 2-ch with music too. I had full range 6 Ohm speakers (no sub) and it drove them with no issues, it had plenty of power reserve for my room, 13x17x8.