PDA

View Full Version : Going from sierra2 to sierra1 or?

James Valenti
01-04-2016, 08:01 PM
Currently auditioning sierra2 with existing Polk sub using 1970's receivers. I think I need to change more components then I originally thought. Maybe getting Sierra 1s and adding an L12 or LV12R would give me more sound stage? Or CMT340s as mains with the same subs? Can't afford the towers which I think would solve the depth of stage problem in the room I have. Not knowing what the sierra1 or cmt340 sound like makes this decision hard. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

curtis
01-04-2016, 08:12 PM
can you move the Sierra-2's farther into the room? How is the imaging?

James Valenti
01-05-2016, 07:52 AM
The speakers work well in the room with acoustic and singer centric material but as the music gets more complex my system doesn't separate it well. I'm coming from paradigm towers which handled complex music better in this room. Of course the imaging of the sierras is outstanding. I'm just wondering if dome tweeters and a musical sub would be better for me all around that's why I'm considering the 1's or the 340's with one of your musical subs.

natetg57
01-06-2016, 04:51 AM
The speakers work well in the room with acoustic and singer centric material but as the music gets more complex my system doesn't separate it well. I'm coming from paradigm towers which handled complex music better in this room. Of course the imaging of the sierras is outstanding. I'm just wondering if dome tweeters and a musical sub would be better for me all around that's why I'm considering the 1's or the 340's with one of your musical subs.

In my opinion, the Sierra-2 is superior to the Sierra-1 in every way, especially in resolving fine details. It's possible that the 2s are revealing more flaws in the recording or the components.

davef
01-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Currently auditioning sierra2 with existing Polk sub using 1970's receivers. I think I need to change more components then I originally thought. Maybe getting Sierra 1s and adding an L12 or LV12R would give me more sound stage? Or CMT340s as mains with the same subs? Can't afford the towers which I think would solve the depth of stage problem in the room I have. Not knowing what the sierra1 or cmt340 sound like makes this decision hard. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

It is important to try and best describe what you are hearing. Soundstage is the ability of the speakers to reproduce the same "stage" as to where the recording took place. Imaging is the ability of the speakers to properly place the instruments within the stage.

It sounds to me like you are describing a lack of "fullness" with the Sierra-2 compared to your prior Paradigm towers. This is not surprising, as you are moving from tower speakers to bookshelf speakers.

Would you say this best describes what you are experiencing?

Additionally, it is likely the case that your prior towers had considerably higher efficiency than the Sierra-2's -- which means that at the same volume level you are used to listening to with the Paradigms, the Sierra-2 will likely draw as much as 4 times the power from your receiver. If the receiver is reaching its power limits, delineation between individual instruments will become smeared as the receiver starts to compress and even clip.

Quick questions for you:

How far back are you sitting from the speakers and what receiver are you using?