PDA

View Full Version : Sierra 2 on TP 24?

Johnny_Mac_III
12-26-2015, 03:13 PM
I currently have the CMT 340 SEs on the TP 24 stands. Has anyone place the Sierra 2s on those stands? If so, what was tweeter height with or without spiked feet?

Also, since the Sierra 2s have such great horizontal off axis dispersion, if I set them 22.5 degrees off axis, would I be able to set them straight forward with no toe in and still get great imaging for one seat?

Thanks.

curtis
12-27-2015, 10:31 PM
The tweeter is about the same height. The tweeter is in the middle of the 340, and top of Sierra 1/2...and the Sierra 1/2 is about 2/3rds the height of the 340.

Johnny_Mac_III
12-29-2015, 11:27 PM
Thanks Curtis. Just trying to get a gauge for my next upgrade. Sounds like they would work well on the stands if I could get them in custom matte black.

340s to Seirra 2s

Rythmik LV12r to F15HP

add a 100 inch tensioned pull down screen with a projector for movie watching over my current 51 inch plasma at 12 feet away.

Or add room treatments through GIK

All tough choices, but I'm kinda leaning toward the larger screen size since that seems to be the weakest link in my chain right now.

curtis
12-29-2015, 11:47 PM
I have a 60" TV, and I have a friend that just got a 75", and another that got a 70".

Now I feel inadequate.

Johnny_Mac_III
12-30-2015, 08:13 AM
They say it's not the size of the tv that counts. It's how well you can callibrate it. :p

FirstReflect
01-06-2016, 08:23 PM
Dave F. mentioned a while back that matte black would be a standard finish option for Sierra-2 speakers as long as you're buying the cabinets that are manufactured in the USA rather than the ones that are manufactured in China. Obviously the Sierra-2 product page here on Ascend's website hasn't been updated, but it would be worth a phone call to ask. Nice to be able to get it as a standard finish option rather than having to pay extra if it's possible :)

Given the relatively low cost of an Elite Screens Saker Tab-Tension motorized screen with AcousticPro UHD fabric (about $1100 on Amazon for a 120" 16:9), plus the excellent projector options out there these days at all sorts of different price points ($1000 for a BenQ HT3050, $1500 for an Epson 3500, $2300 for an Epson 5030, or $4000 for an HDR10-compatible JVC DLA-X550R/DLA-RS400), it really is tough to say no to a front projection setup. However, the one hiccup is if you're waiting for HDR to get sorted out. It's very tempting to recommend using a relatively inexpensive 1080p projector for the time being. While JVC and Sony both have HDR10-compatible projectors available, the least expensive is $4000, and none of them offer Dolby Vision.

Come CEDIA time later this year, I'm certain we'll see new models that are both HDR10 and Dolby Vision compatible. And given that Texas Instruments has made their wobulated 4K DLP chip official for Spring 2016 (http://hdguru.com/ti-officially-unveils-4k-home-theater-dlp-chip/), I'm sure we'll see DLP solutions, as well.

Thankfully, you can buy the screen size you want with a very smooth 4K-compatible fabric right now and be all ready to go when the projectors arrive :D

- Rob H. - AV Rant Podcast Co-host

Johnny_Mac_III
01-09-2016, 12:55 PM
Yeah. I'm trying to decide between the Sony HW40es for $1300 and the Benq w1070 fro $700 to hold me over for 4k. I think I will have a question for AV Rant in the near future ;)

davef
01-12-2016, 01:56 AM
Dave F. mentioned a while back that matte black would be a standard finish option for Sierra-2 speakers as long as you're buying the cabinets that are manufactured in the USA rather than the ones that are manufactured in China. Obviously the Sierra-2 product page here on Ascend's website hasn't been updated, but it would be worth a phone call to ask. Nice to be able to get it as a standard finish option rather than having to pay extra if it's possible :)

Thanks Rob!

US built Sierra-2 black matte cabinets are currently available in limited supply. I should mention that we have a large production run of these in process that should be ready within 3-4 weeks, at which time - they will be listed on our website :)

That said, we do have limited availability right now -- just give us a call.