PDA

View Full Version : Ascend Sierra 2 and AMP requirements

point1
11-16-2015, 07:51 PM
Hi,

I currently have a pair of Sierra 2 with RAAL tweeters. I'm currently driving it with Denon X4000 AV receiver and the setup for my listening position is near-field (using it for my 2.1) listening system while I work in front of my office desk.

The room is 12 x 16 x 14. I currently have a Rythmik E15HP sub.

I'm wondering if I can achieve or realize better sounds/performance by going with a separate amp such as a Parasound A23 or an Emotiva XPR-2?

Source are mostly FLAC/Lossless, Spotify very high quality or extreme setting for streaming, and MP3s.

Feedbacks welcome! ;)

curtis
11-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Do you feel something is lacking?

FirstReflect
11-17-2015, 02:15 PM
The chances of you hearing an improvement from using a separate 2-channel amp are slim to none in this case. The Sierra-2 are not at all difficult to drive. And with a nearfield setup, you're using less than 1 Watt per speaker the vast majority of the time.

The X4000 is also no slouch in the amplifier department - especially when only 2 channels of amplification are being used.

While I fully appreciate the desire to always be looking for the next upgrade, the chances that your current amplification are your limiting factor are extremely slim. That money would be far better spent - most likely - on treating your room or better isolating your speakers and subwoofer from any part of the structure. Perhaps a second subwoofer - although I'm guessing you really only have a single listening position, so getting more uniform bass response throughout your room isn't really of utmost importance.

If you're still wondering about amplifiers, I would strongly urge you to audition with a blind comparison. I've seen tons and tons of people rave about what a difference their new amp made. But I've done many, many blind comparisons myself. Without knowing which amp was which beforehand? It's nigh impossible to tell them apart. So there is a HUGE psychological component going on, IMO. People want a new amp, they buy a new amp, and lo and behold, they convince themselves that they hear a difference. But do the comparison blind, and suddenly those differences disappear.

The problem is that until you do the blind comparisons for yourself, there's always that nagging doubt. Also, I HAVE picked out differences - blind - between amps due to differences in noise floor. Once something starts playing, I can't tell them apart. But when they're just sitting there idle, the differences in how much hiss comes out of the tweeters is sometimes audible. And sitting nearfield to ribbon tweeters, you're highly likely to be able to pick out any sort of idle tweeter hiss.

Now, is slightly reducing idle noise floor hiss worth an entire new amp to you? Only you can decide that. If it is, I'd recommend having a look at an ATI brand amp. They're as close to dead silent as you can get.

But seriously, do the comparison blind. I don't like to see people spending their hard-earned money in places where it isn't really making a worthwhile difference - or not making any audible difference at all. This isn't a binary choice. Amps CAN make audible differences. But said differences just tend to be so small, or they're completely inaudible. So it just isn't a high value purchase most times. Unless you allow a psychological bias to convince you that it is ;)

- Rob H. - AV Rant Podcast co-host

MusicHead
11-17-2015, 02:27 PM
For what is worth, I agree with First Reflect. Especially considering you have a sub, which further unloads the AVR. That, combined with the additional headroom given by your two-channel use and the benign load profile of the Sierras, makes it easy for the Denon to drive your set-up.

If you ear something in the sound that you are not completely satisfied with, I'd say it is more in the processing (DAC, DSP, Room Correction) than the amplification. Since that would not change using an external amp, chances are it is not worth spending money there.

dtsequoia
11-18-2015, 06:19 AM
Very helpful post right here! Thanks, Rob.

rsmt2000
11-18-2015, 03:53 PM
. I've seen tons and tons of people rave about what a difference their new amp made. But I've done many, many blind comparisons myself. Without knowing which amp was which beforehand? It's nigh impossible to tell them apart. So there is a HUGE psychological component going on, IMO. People want a new amp, they buy a new amp, and lo and behold, they convince themselves that they hear a difference. But do the comparison blind, and suddenly those differences disappear.

- Rob H. - AV Rant Podcast co-host

Hi Rob

What do you think about the DACs in an audio set up?Some are willing to spend over $5000 to $10000 on DACs claiming that these expensive DACs make the sound Analog like. On the other extreme I have seen people claiming many times that any two decently power rated receivers should sound the same. Should this mean that all AV receivers out there sound the same without factoring any room correction they might offer?. I have seen Dave and other speaker manufactures never recommending any specific electronics saying that speakers make up 90% of the sound with the rest going to electronics and the ROOM. But general public does not seem to agree with them😟🙈.

Thanks

MusicHead
11-18-2015, 05:26 PM
I am not Rob, but you may find this article interesting :-)

http://www.audioholics.com/editorials/biggest-audible-differences-in-home-theater

As with everything that combines objective and subjective factors, there never will be an absolute agreement on what the rigth answer to your question is.

However, nothing wrong in listening (no pun intended...) to all sides of the argument and forming your own opinion.

point1
11-18-2015, 08:01 PM
Thank you everyone for the great response and advice!