PDA

View Full Version : Amp / CD player for Sierra 2's.

Charlie
11-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Hello all,

Could someone recommend an amp / Cd player combo for the Sierra 2s?

Am looking for a simple 2 speaker / amp / cd player set-up.

particulars are:

1,365 cubic ft room.

Speakers on stands

listen to jazz instrumental and vocal as well as classical/baroque chamber and choral. 60s and 70s rock/pop too. All on CD though I may look at turntables or maybe an SACD player at some point.

$1000 max for amp. Will not be cranking volume.

Also, can anyone compare the Sierra 2s to Monitor Audio Silver 6?

Thanks for your help.

Charlie

eyecatcher
11-06-2015, 11:43 AM
Some might think overkill, but I find it hard not to recommend an OPPO BDP-105 XLR direct to an Emotiva XPA-200. Leaves you with room to expand your options to Home theater, and also provides other audio sources such as network, async USB, Pandora etc.. After hearing the S2's I really think they deserve it.

Otherwise there are some 2 channel integrated/stereo amps from marantz, NAD, yamaha, outlaw that might be an option and you could go with a more basic CD player

Mag_Neato
11-06-2015, 12:15 PM
Here's a nice integrated with built-in DAC at the top of your budget:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MAPM7005

As for a CD player, not sure of your budget but this is a matching model:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MACD6005

RPM
11-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Some might think overkill, but I find it hard not to recommend an OPPO BDP-105 XLR direct to an Emotiva XPA-200. Leaves you with room to expand your options to Home theater, and also provides other audio sources such as network, async USB, Pandora etc.. After hearing the S2's I really think they deserve it.

Otherwise there are some 2 channel integrated/stereo amps from marantz, NAD, yamaha, outlaw that might be an option and you could go with a more basic CD player

Excellent Recommendation .....

Charlie
11-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the replies - seems like the set-ups mentioned are well thought of.

Will probably audition the Sierra 2s and KEF ls50s with the Marantz.

Charlie
01-05-2016, 09:32 PM
Last few questions, hopefully - Which integrated amp would match well with the OPPO BDP 105 ? I might go just with the 2 speakers (sierra 2s) or might consider a sub woofer.

Also, spoke with a guy at a local stereo who told me that ribbon tweeters posed problems with "integration"? Something about them standing apart from the mids and woofers?

Thanks

natetg57
01-06-2016, 04:42 AM
Last few questions, hopefully - Which integrated amp would match well with the OPPO BDP 105 ? I might go just with the 2 speakers (sierra 2s) or might consider a sub woofer.

Also, spoke with a guy at a local stereo who told me that ribbon tweeters posed problems with "integration"? Something about them standing apart from the mids and woofers?

Thanks

That would be true if the speakers were poorly designed. Dave carefully selected/designed woofers that match the ribbons very well.

davef
01-06-2016, 04:52 PM

Thanks

Sadly, this type of response doesn't surprise me at all - you should ask him for a technical explanation. I would love to hear it :rolleyes: ;)

Although I am not really sure what this salesperson is trying to say, but fact is, properly "integrating" RAAL ribbons with a woofer is actually easier than most dome tweeters. Thanks in part to the very carefully controlled natural rolloff. Sure, some ribbons are difficult to integrate - as are many dome tweeters as well.

Charlie
01-08-2016, 07:53 PM
thanks for the replies. looking forward to putting together a good sound system.

charlie

loopy
02-03-2016, 04:07 AM
Any major change between a Oppo 105 and a Oppo 103

natetg57
02-03-2016, 04:13 PM
Any major change between a Oppo 105 and a Oppo 103

The 105 has better analog stereo outputs. If your connections are digital than the 103 works just as well. Both are excellent.

freesole
02-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Is there a huge bump in sound quality between say an Oppo 105 vs a Marantz 5007? Just curious - not that I need a reason to spend more...

freesole
03-18-2016, 02:39 PM
Ended up getting a Oppo 105D just to check out the difference between this and my Marantz.. Let's see if there is any difference in sound quality if I let the Oppo do the processing instead of my Anthem :)

sludgeogre
03-18-2016, 10:00 PM
Ended up getting a Oppo 105D just to check out the difference between this and my Marantz.. Let's see if there is any difference in sound quality if I let the Oppo do the processing instead of my Anthem :)

Nice, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. I very nearly bought a 105D, but I mostly watch movies so I didn't see the point in paying for the stereo side DAC that I'd never use, and upscaling features I don't need because I can't see very well, hah.

loopy
03-19-2016, 04:10 AM
I just finished making a 18 inch sealed sub. It may not look as nice as some of the ones you buy but with the Inuke 6000DSP amp and a MINi DSP mic I can customize how it sounds and it sounds very good.

This may be to much sub for Sierra 2 though.

davef
03-21-2016, 04:43 PM
I just finished making a 18 inch sealed sub. It may not look as nice as some of the ones you buy but with the Inuke 6000DSP amp and a MINi DSP mic I can customize how it sounds and it sounds very good.

This may be to much sub for Sierra 2 though.

Most would say you can never have too much sub ;)

eyecatcher
03-21-2016, 07:51 PM
There is no replacement for displacement. Which 18" driver did you use to fabricate it with?

loopy
03-22-2016, 05:47 AM
May have to drop down to 340's across the front the bonus was not as good as we thought so the Sierra 2's would be more than I could swing unless i waited until next year

freesole
03-24-2016, 11:42 AM
So I ended up getting the Oppo 105D and I hooked it up to my Anthem MRX510 AVR using both analog and HDMI. I switched between HDMI and Analog for audio input and while there is not a HUGE difference, there was an audible one to me. The analog hookup sounded more forward and more lively. I played mostly Tsuyoshi Yamamoto and Miles Davis SACDs for the test here and both are superb recordings. I definitely liked the sound of the Oppo quite a bit for music and prefer it to the Anthem. That's not to the say that the MRX does poorly by any means though. I do love the sound the MRX and it is the same realm as the Oppo which to me, goes to show you the quality of the Anthem DAC.

I think I will keep the Oppo around for nothing else than its ability to do it all. The Sierra towers play beautifully with either DAC.