PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Sierra 2's for front 3 for Home Theater. Please advice

rimmi2002
10-02-2015, 10:44 AM
Hi after some research, I am leaning towards getting Sierra's 2 as the front 3 for my home theater. Based on my room and preferences can I please get advice if they will work well for me. Thanks.

1) My budget. ~$2500

2) My listening interests:
Only Movies; Would like very good Dialogue Quality. (Good balance of Dialogue and sound effects) Have struggled a lot in the past tweaking center/sub settings so bass and sound effects do not overpower dialogue.

3) My existing audio equipment (make/models)

Reciever: Have Yamaha A830 and Denon X3100 (can use either; Which is better?)
Current Front 3: R/L = Polk RTi6 Center: Polk CSi5; Subs: SVS PC12 x 2
Screen: Silver Ticket 150" Matte Grey Screen
Projector: Benq1070

4) The size of my room:

15' W x 30' L x 10' H (the projector screen in in a 15'W x 15'L x 10'H area, with the right side open and walls on other three sides.

Sketched Image of Room

I have attached a sketched image of the room. The length is 30 feet and the width is 15 feet. (So couch to screen distance is 15'. The front three will go over the screen with a wall mount. The backs will be in wall/ceiling and will go in the ceiling above the couch or the wall behind based on what is recc'd. The two white dots on the far right are sub placements for PC-12's.

5) Any placement restrictions. Subs will go on the far right corners of the room. (wife can't stand them anywhere else) (two white dots on right corner of sketch). Front 3 will be wall mounted on top of screen.

6) Any aesthetic or size concerns.

Would Like depth of the speakers to be < 12". Max Height of F/L to be < 18" (lower is better); Overall a smaller size and appealing look will score higher for "WAF"

7) Speakers I am considering

Ascend Sierra 2 currently is at the top of the list. They have good reviews and aesthetically fit well.
I also looked at SVS Ultra, but thinking the center channel will be difficult to wall mount.

Also looked at MT110s (specs wise they sounded great for movies but they are much bigger and heavier than Sierra's, so would be second choice if Sierra's were not to work out for some reason)

8) Particular audio sonic signatures I prefer?
Having clear center dialogue is a priorty. It has to be well balance with the bass, don't want it where the sounds effects make it difficult to hear dialogue. So Center Dialogue ~= bass. I would like things to sound clean crisp and not too boomy.

Any advice on how my preference will work with the Sierra 2's will be great. I was looking at these mounts (http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Clamping-Mounting-Surrounding-MS56B/dp/B000X9O8SI/ref=pd_sim_23_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YFMS93NN2TAY5ADF0NX&dpID=41CfBRdEQ5L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_)for the Sierra's at amazon. They should hold the FR and FL speakers well. Is there a good recc'd mount for the center channel?

Lastly for aesthic reasons if I made all the front channels lie flat (basically all would sit like the center) would that interfere with the performance of the speakers?

Thanks for the help!

Mag_Neato
10-02-2015, 11:06 AM
They should work well. You will love the clarity of the RAALs.

If you plan on using them in the horizontal position simply buy 3 center versions. The only difference from the standard L/R version is that the folks at Ascend rotate the RAAL tweeter 90 degrees so it is vertical, and a full grill is provided to fully cover the baffle.

rimmi2002
10-02-2015, 03:40 PM
They should work well. You will love the clarity of the RAALs.

If you plan on using them in the horizontal position simply buy 3 center versions. The only difference from the standard L/R version is that the folks at Ascend rotate the RAAL tweeter 90 degrees so it is vertical, and a full grill is provided to fully cover the baffle.

Thanks. Does anyone know of any wall mounts that can hold the Sierra 2's in the horizontal direction?

Also wanted to know if down the line I wanted to rotate the tweeter back to vertical is it pretty easy to do?

Mag_Neato
10-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Easy-peasy! Remove 4 screws, pull the tweeter out, rotate 90 degrees, insert it back in and install the screws.

davef
10-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Thanks. Does anyone know of any wall mounts that can hold the Sierra 2's in the horizontal direction?

This is what I have used:

http://www.cotytech.com/content-product_info/product_id-2277/side_clamping_bookshelf_speaker_wall_mount_sp_os08 .html

rimmi2002
10-04-2015, 11:25 PM

http://www.cotytech.com/content-product_info/product_id-2277/side_clamping_bookshelf_speaker_wall_mount_sp_os08 .html

Thanks these look great.

rimmi2002
10-06-2015, 10:05 PM

Thanks Dave. I just ordered these. I looked at their dimensions again and was just a little bit unsure. I wanted to make double check because I might have been vague in my original inquiry.

These mounts can be used to hold the Sierra 2's lying flat for example, the way the center channel sits. Thanks.