PDA

View Full Version : TP-24 PEDESTAL STANDS Finishes...

andrey
08-06-2015, 09:22 PM
Why TP-24 PEDESTAL STANDS are only in black matte finish? can those be done in satin espresso, or maybe piano black?

Mag_Neato
08-07-2015, 04:46 AM
They were originally intended for use specifically with the CMT-340's which are only available in black to match each other.

The fact that the TP-24's also fit the Sierra-1/NrT/-2 would make matching finishes something for Ascend to consider. You could use Curtis' custom stands as an example for the natural finish bamboo version.

andrey
08-07-2015, 07:33 AM
They were originally intended for use specifically with the CMT-340's which are only available in black to match each other.

The fact that the TP-24's also fit the Sierra-1/NrT/-2 would make matching finishes something for Ascend to consider. You could use Curtis' custom stands as an example for the natural finish bamboo version.

do you have a link I can look at for Curtis' custom stands? google isn't friendly today..

billy p
08-07-2015, 07:39 AM
IIRC the TP-24 are constructed from mdf...not an ideal source for appling stains like the ones used on the Sierras. I had my HTM-200s finished in espresso as seen in my sig. I was happy with the results...although..Dave warned me of the drawbacks in doing this sort of application I use these for surround duties and some minor imperfections are less visible.

I think doing any sort of custom stands to match your Sierras would come at a price...I've seen the gloss black finishes on mdf and it looks weak...IMHO.

Here is a larger pic>

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k146/parsal106/IMG_0319_zps5c1d3300.jpg (http://s87.photobucket.com/user/parsal106/media/IMG_0319_zps5c1d3300.jpg.html)

Blutarsky
08-07-2015, 08:18 AM
I think you can use automotive paint on MDF.
Still, the standard vinyl black finish would probable be OK. Nearly all speaker stands are black.

curtis
08-07-2015, 09:05 AM
You could use Curtis' custom stands as an example for the natural finish bamboo version.

do you have a link I can look at for Curtis' custom stands? google isn't friendly today..
To be clear, my stands are not custom TP24's....they are custom period. They were built by a gentleman in Ohio that taught woodshop, had Sierra-1's, and built customs stands for them. He had extra bamboo ply, and offered to makes stands for people that wanted them...at a cost. Here is a messy room picture:

https://changpics.smugmug.com/Other/Ascend-Acoustics-pictures/i-tkgsXwk/0/L/IMG_1543-L.jpg

Mag_Neato
08-07-2015, 10:16 AM
To be clear, my stands are not custom TP24's....they are custom period. They were built by a gentleman in Ohio that taught woodshop, had Sierra-1's, and built customs stands for them. He had extra bamboo ply, and offered to makes stands for people that wanted them...at a cost. Here is a messy room picture:

https://changpics.smugmug.com/Other/Ascend-Acoustics-pictures/i-tkgsXwk/0/L/IMG_1543-L.jpg

Thanks for that clarification.....my bad! I wonder whatever happened to that guy? Looks like he does some nice work.

curtis
08-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Thanks for that clarification.....my bad! I wonder whatever happened to that guy? Looks like he does some nice work.
He's still around...I'm friends with him on FB. No longer teaches woodshop.

curtis
08-07-2015, 04:01 PM
You could also try contacting a local woodworker/cabinet maker about building custom stands.

andrey
08-14-2015, 09:25 AM
He's still around...I'm friends with him on FB. No longer teaches woodshop.

did he also make that stand where you have all the gear? that looks awesome!

curtis
08-14-2015, 10:12 AM
did he also make that stand where you have all the gear? that looks awesome!
Nope...that was done by a local furniture shop a while long ago.

The shop had their own manufacturing warehouse not far away and the owner told me to sketch what I wanted.

It was only $300 and made out of pine...so nothing special.

I'm actually going to replace it with something else when I have the time.

andrey
08-14-2015, 11:11 AM
I'm actually going to replace it with something else when I have the time.

Would love to see sketches, please post when you have them