PDA

View Full Version : Sierra 1 NRT vs Sierra 2 for casual listening

gtijimmy
07-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Hello, I am new to the speaker and general hi-fi audio community. I would really like to invest in a good stereo system that will wow me. I think the Sierra speakers are a perfect match. I am just stuck between which Sierra's to get, the Sierra 1, Sierra NRT or Sierra 2. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A little background info...

I am moving into an apartment in the fall and will generally be using the speakers for music, of which includes: hip-hop, pop, jazz, classical, alternative, rap. I will be doing some direct listening but ambient listening will occur often too. I am looking for speakers that will evoke emotion out of me, so not necessarily for extreme critical listening. I was looking at the KEF LS50 but it seems like you need a very strong amp to properly power those (and they also look funky). Here is the layout of the apartment with the living room being the place where the 2.0 setup will be:

Thanks in advance.

Blutarsky
07-26-2015, 06:07 PM
Yikes! Those windows and floorplan are going to be trouble. Heavy drapes maybe.
Can I assume that the TV is that box on the left wall?
Sierra-1 speakers are very good. Maybe CBM 17 170's?

B.

natetg57
07-26-2015, 08:06 PM
I think the Sierra-2s provoke the greatest emotional response because of their realism. They sound really good when not in the sweet spot as well. Sounds like I have live music coming from the next room over.

gtijimmy
07-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Yikes! Those windows and floorplan are going to be trouble. Heavy drapes maybe.
Can I assume that the TV is that box on the left wall?
Sierra-1 speakers are very good. Maybe CBM 17 170's?

B.
Yes, the TV is the box on the left wall. I looked at the CBM 17 170's but I feel as though I would always wonder what the Sierra's would have sounded like if I got those.

Is the NRT upgrade worth it on the Sierra 1?

I think the Sierra-2s provoke the greatest emotional response because of their realism. They sound really good when not in the sweet spot as well. Sounds like I have live music coming from the next room over.
I think that WOW factor of realism is what I am looking for. I am leaning towards the Sierra 2. Are stands absolutely necessary?

Blutarsky
07-27-2015, 09:42 AM
Hi- I have my Sierra-2's on the front corners of a 6 ft wide Salamander A/V console with a S-2 center in between.. You can adjust the distance to the wall by moving the cabinet. Everything sounds great.
I only wondered if your room would allow the S-2's to bloom thus suggested the 170s

gtijimmy
07-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Hi- I have my Sierra-2's on the front corners of a 6 ft wide Salamander A/V console with a S-2 center in between.. You can adjust the distance to the wall by moving the cabinet. Everything sounds great.
I only wondered if your room would allow the S-2's to bloom thus suggested the 170s

Oh okay, I would like a step above the 170s, so I think I would be happy with any of the Sierra's. Maybe the Sierra 1's will be more fitting for the room setup.

RPM
07-27-2015, 11:20 AM
Oh okay, I would like a step above the 170s, so I think I would be happy with any of the Sierra's. Maybe the Sierra 1's will be more fitting for the room setup.

You will def. be happy with any of the Sierra's as they are both
exceptional speakers, That being said there are significant differences in the design that you may prefer one over the other. I have auditioned both Sierra versions and the NRT Towers and you can't go wrong on any of them. I would suggest giving Ascend a call as they are very helpful with these questions.

curtis
07-27-2015, 02:25 PM
I am leaning towards the Sierra 2. Are stands absolutely necessary?
Not necessary, but if you want the best sound, then you want to position the speakers properly, and stands help you do that.