PDA

View Full Version : Can Sierra 2 speakers be used "upside down"?

bilrus61
06-05-2015, 02:17 PM
I'm a disable man and spend much time listening in bed. I have my current speakers, Boston sub sat 7, set where they are about a foot high at 4 feet either side of me. I would like to try the Sierra2 speakers but I'm concerned that with the tweeter at the top lots of the music would go "over my head". If someone knows for sure that turning them upside down where the ribbon tweeter would be more ear level is ok I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

natetg57
06-05-2015, 07:04 PM
I'm a disable man and spend much time listening in bed. I have my current speakers, Boston sub sat 7, set where they are about a foot high at 4 feet either side of me. I would like to try the Sierra2 speakers but I'm concerned that with the tweeter at the top lots of the music would go "over my head". If someone knows for sure that turning them upside down where the ribbon tweeter would be more ear level is ok I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

I think upside down would be fine. Even if the tweeters aren't pointed exactly at your ears, you won't feel like you're missing 'lots of the music.' I'm pretty sure the difference will be subtle. I have 5 of them and they sound fantastic in every position around my room. The surrounds are a couple of feet higher than the fronts.

white_darren
06-06-2015, 06:47 AM
You might also consider speaker stands or isolation pads that would allow you to tilt the speakers down such that they would be pointed at you instead of over you.

davef
06-09-2015, 02:37 AM

Absolutely OK turning them upside down, and if you give us a call and instruct us to do so-- we would be happy to assemble them for you such that the labels are put on so that they would be right-side-up when the speaker is upside-down, if that makes any sense :)

SpeedD408
06-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Any reason Sierra 2 Centers wouldn't be a good choice. This puts both drivers at ear level if you will...

natetg57
06-10-2015, 01:54 PM
Any reason Sierra 2 Centers wouldn't be a good choice. This puts both drivers at ear level if you will...

I'm sure that would work fine as well. The Sierra Centers are simply the bookshelf turned on it's side with the tweeter rotated 90 degrees. Off axis response would be slightly better with the speaker in a vertical position though.