PDA

View Full Version : Prog Rock/Metal with AA Sierra 1 or 2's

HeyWaj10
06-03-2015, 06:32 AM
Hey all,

Newer member here, mostly lurker (no system yet). After much reading through various forums, I've come to find the consensus on the Sierra speakers as very positive and strong across the board. That being said, I could use some insights/impressions regarding any owners of Sierra 1's or 2's who play significant amounts of prog rock/metal.

If I had to put a percentage, I probably listen to this genre 60-70% of the time, with a variation of other genres here and there otherwise. Typical bands I listen to are Tool, Opeth, Dream Theater, Anathema, Riverside, etc.

How do these particular speakers work with this genre? Are the NrT or RAAL tweeters typically better, or more synergistic with the genre? Would you say a sub is mandatory with these bookshelf models?

Thanks so much!
Scott

curtis
06-03-2015, 03:49 PM
I've had my Sierra-2's for a week, and had the Sierra-1's (non-NrT) for 7 years before that...everything I have thrown at the 2's sounds better to me. While I don't listen to that particular genre, I do I have a wide taste in music.

Also remember, the Sierra-1's are great in their own right, and much less expensive. The Sierra-1NrT has a bit more forward presentation that the standard, but the Sierra 2's with the new woofer and RAAL has more detail throughout without being foward...it isn't just the RAAL tweeter, it is the SEAS woofer as well.

davef
06-03-2015, 04:49 PM
Hey all,

Newer member here, mostly lurker (no system yet). After much reading through various forums, I've come to find the consensus on the Sierra speakers as very positive and strong across the board. That being said, I could use some insights/impressions regarding any owners of Sierra 1's or 2's who play significant amounts of prog rock/metal.

If I had to put a percentage, I probably listen to this genre 60-70% of the time, with a variation of other genres here and there otherwise. Typical bands I listen to are Tool, Opeth, Dream Theater, Anathema, Riverside, etc.

How do these particular speakers work with this genre? Are the NrT or RAAL tweeters typically better, or more synergistic with the genre? Would you say a sub is mandatory with these bookshelf models?

Thanks so much!
Scott

Hey Scott -- welcome to the forum.

Huge Steve Wilson fan here, and with that in mind -- I listen to everything he has done through the 2's (Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, Solo stuff, Opeth) In fact, much of the critical listening I have done with the 2's, before we released them, was with this genre. It's a perfect match, in fact, I am listening to Opeth Damnation through the 2's right now ;)

dislocatedday
06-03-2015, 07:45 PM
If there is one question here that I feel I am qualified to answer it is this one. While I listen to a large variety of music, metal and progressive rock are a very significant part of my music diet. I have the entire album catalogs of every band you specifically mentioned in your post. I also have had a pair of Sierra-2s as my main speakers since earlier this year and play a lot of this type of music through them.

Before I bought the speakers, I had a concern that perhaps the Sierra-2s would not be good for some of this type of music I own as there is some of it that is not mixed and/or mastered well at all (Mastodon and Dream Theater are examples). However, I don't find the Sierrra-2s to present these types of recordings any worse than less revealing or warmer speakers (by warmer I mean speakers that roll off the top end and boost the mid bass).

There is much of this type of music of mine that is actually mixed and mastered well (Steven Wilson is a prime example as already mentioned by Dave) and it sounds out of this world through the Sierra-2s. Much of this style of music has significant double bass drum parts, and the kick drums and "blast beats" have more precision/tightness than any speakers I have ever heard. This was the first thing that stood out to me with the S2s when I first heard them.

The S2s are good with any genre of music IMO, and that includes all the various sub-genres of metal. If something sounds bad on the S2s it is not the fault of the S2s, but it is likely just that the recording itself has limitations or was mixed and mastered badly.

I think I'll play Tool's Lateralus album through them next actually.

HeyWaj10
06-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Dave and dislocatedday,

Thank you so much for your direct insights. Have to say, that certainly helps ease my hesitation with the concept of the Sierra-2's. This genre of music has to be the most difficult to gather much consensus on throughout the various forums online, outside of your typical brands like Cerwin Vega, Klipsch, JBL, etc. (which I have no interest in whatsoever).

My plan is to be using an Emotiva stack consisting of the DC-1 Dac/Pre and XPA-200 power amp, in a roughly 12x12 room. From all the reading of the detail, resolution, and imaging coherence with the Sierra-2, my only hope was to see if they will get me toe tapping (then eventually air-drumming). It sounds like they will have the potential to do just that!

Love hearing that this genre was also used in the trial stages prior to release...very cool.

Rock on, fellas \m/:p\m/

Scott