PDA

View Full Version : Can Sierra Towers be repaired in 30+ years?

DeliciousSounds
05-06-2015, 06:16 PM
I know this may seem like a silly question, but as someone who just picked up these Sierra Towers with the intention of owning them for decades, a question struck my mind--
are these going to be really hard to get these repaired if something were to happen way down the road when maybe Dave has retired from the speaker business? Especially being that I'm getting a custom RAAL speaker from a small company?

Hope you can put me at ease! Thanks!

davef
05-06-2015, 07:22 PM
I know this may seem like a silly question, but as someone who just picked up these Sierra Towers with the intention of owning them for decades, a question struck my mind--
are these going to be really hard to get these repaired if something were to happen way down the road when maybe Dave has retired from the speaker business? Especially being that I'm getting a custom RAAL speaker from a small company?

Hope you can put me at ease! Thanks!

I have been in this industry for over 30 years now and there is not a single speaker component that I know of that has been manufactured for that long, be that a tweeter or woofer. In fact, most mass produced speakers these days have a component lifecycle of 5 years or less. That said, you actually have a much better chance of finding replacement components from smaller manufacturers than the larger ones, as the larger companies could care less.

With Ascend, we are quite unique -- we released our very first speakers 15 years ago -- and we still fully support and provide drop in replacement parts for these models. You likely won't find that with nearly any other speaker company...

30yrs in the consumer electronics industry these days is similar to 30 years in the computer industry. I would not be the least bit surprised if we are listening to an entirely different medium source, perhaps by direct stimulus of our mind :cool:

As far as where Ascend will be 30 years from now, it is certainly my hope to be fully retired (and still alive and healthy) but Ascend has already grown beyond me ( I just work here, lol) -- I rarely get involved with the day-to-day operations. Ascend Acoustics will most certainly still be manufacturing amazing products for the reproduction of music (in whatever medium that may be) well after my formal retirement.

All that said, take proper care of your speakers and there is no reason why they should not last the next 30 years. Wow -- a very strange and humbling thought... many or most of the products we shipped today may very well outlive me. Yeesh.. where has the time gone?

DeliciousSounds
05-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Dave!

My thoughts are a bit wild indeed but looks like I'm still in much better shape than a B&W or ML speaker long-term support wise. I did notice they both offer inferior warranties on my first glance as it is so I should have expected such.

Looking forward to the speakers soon!

davef
05-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the thoughts Dave!

My thoughts are a bit wild indeed but looks like I'm still in much better shape than a B&W or ML speaker long-term support wise. I did notice they both offer inferior warranties on my first glance as it is so I should have expected such.

Looking forward to the speakers soon!

Having come from a large speaker manufacturer (over 80 employees), I can tell you that the larger companies really don't even think about providing replacement components for out-of-warranty products, let alone offering upgrade paths to them... It is all about continually getting new customers.

I hope I managed to ease your concerns, if even just a little...

Enjoy the speakers!!!