PDA

View Full Version : New Sierra-2 LCR speakers

Blutarsky
05-02-2015, 11:44 AM
Well, I just completed a lateral Ascend upgrade. I bought Sierra-2 LCR speakers to replace my Ascend NRT Towers and "mini" custom Horizon.

I have always suspected that I preferred Monitors with a Sub over Towers . I had a perfect chance to try this because of the Ascend 30 day trial.

After doing a final listening to my tower set up, I called to the bull pen and put the Sierra-2's on the mound. I know there so many other variables here but personally, I confirmed my preference for the monitors with sub. I tested in 2 channel with sub. I realize that theater will show a superiority of the Horizon. But, music is my main use.

The Sierra 2's are just too good, beating my past "expensive" monitors easily.
Blutarsky

dtsequoia
07-23-2015, 03:37 AM
So, you're saying the S2's beat the Sierra Tower's with the NrT tweeter in your opinion? It what ways may I ask? Thanks!

Blutarsky
07-23-2015, 07:49 AM
I wrote that my Sierra-2 Monitors beat my past monitor speakers. The Ascend Towers are floor standers.

Mag_Neato
07-23-2015, 08:26 AM
I wrote that my Sierra-2 Monitors beat my past monitor speakers. The Ascend Towers are floor standers.
Technically, you DID say you confirmed your preference for monitors+sub vs. towers, referring to the NrT towers. What characteristics sway you that way?

Blutarsky
07-23-2015, 09:31 AM
This can go on forever....I don't want to need to wipe my shoe bottoms off...I didn't technically say that I preferred S-2's to S-Towers.

I should have said Full Range towers.(Capable of around 16Hz) I personally found them harder to set up because the speaker placement for sound stage, center image, ad infinitum, weren't, necessarily, good for very low frequencies. Subwoofers can be moved around.

In my current smaller room I prefer my S-2's with sub, to my Sierra towers.
There are a lot of people cramming towers onto small rooms, in corners, in front of windows, sofas, etc. Your system should match the room available when you buy your system.

I have seen Wilson Alexandria's stuffed into small apartments!!

B.

N Boros
07-23-2015, 11:05 AM
This can go on forever....I don't want to need to wipe my shoe bottoms off...I didn't technically say that I preferred S-2's to S-Towers.

I know that others have thought it might be crazy to say that the Sierra 2 is preferred to the Sierra tower (even though you didn't say that). Even if the Sierra tower had the Raal ribbon tweeter as well, it isn't crazy for someone to say that they prefer the monitor over the tower. From what I understand the tower isn't superior in every way, since the Sierra 2 has a wider dispersion than the tower. If that is a high priority for someone, then it would be a reasonable choice. You already mentioned the smaller size can be another asset, depending on someone's situation. We know that the Sierra tower (with Raal ribbon) will have more output, a larger soundstage and a bit more resolution, due to the midrange driver though.

In my current smaller room I prefer my S-2's with sub, to my Sierra towers.
There are a lot of people cramming towers onto small rooms, in corners, in front of windows, sofas, etc. Your system should match the room available when you buy your system.

I have seen Wilson Alexandria's stuffed into small apartments!!

I think you make an excellent point here. I have quite a large room, but I sit pretty close to my Sierra 2s (only about 8 feet away). Though my instinct was to get the Sierra towers, I am quite happy with my choice. I don't need the extra output of the towers. I think the wider dispersion of the Sierra 2s is a big positive for me. In the back of my mind I would love to have the larger soundstage and perhaps an extra bit of resolution that the towers would offer. But, I don't I want to pay double the price to get there, especially when others have said that the difference between the towers and monitors (with a sub) in these two areas are pretty subtle most of the time.

I'm going to take the money saved on going with monitors to put into some bigger subs, like a pair of Rythmik FV15Hps, since with the larger room one does need a larger sub to pressurize the extra space.

Mag_Neato
07-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Fair enough. Not trying to call you out, just wanted some clarification. Some potential customers might be on the fence between the NrT towers vs Sierra-2's with a sub. Your explanation why you prefer one over the other will benefit their decision making.

Blutarsky
07-23-2015, 04:59 PM
Glad to see this simmering down. Don't forget the benefits of SAF!
My Spouse graciously hung in through years of audio upgrades. She got quiet when I moved in a pair of enormous Genesis speakers requiring 5 foot from rear wall placement. If you are married, you will know that quiet might not be a good thing.

Part of my decision to buy the S-2's was the ability to place them on a 6 foot wide A/V console.(on the front corners) After a few weeks of tweaking the cabinet distance from wall, etc. they sound great, the room looks good, and I am getting warm approval.

B.