PDA

View Full Version : Can Ascend white grill be dyed with RIT dies? Anyone tried this?

Tushar
04-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Looking at adding side channels for 7.1 w/HTM200's. I need to hide the speakers in a colorful room since placement is not ideal. I plan to get unfinished HTM200's but I need get the grill cloth the right color (ocher/barn colored). If not Ascend grill cloth, any aftermarket grill cloths you know of that are easily dyed?

curtis
04-28-2015, 07:04 PM
I know Dave chooses grille cloth that is as acoustically transparent as possible.

Tushar
04-29-2015, 12:02 AM
From what little I know, if not blended with significant natural fiber (>60%), and if not something easy like nylon/rayon can be challenging to die fabrics with conventional RIT dies. For example 100% polyester and spandex (which I've read can both be relatively good as acoustically transparent grill cloth cannot be dyed w/RIT dies).

So if that's the case, anyone know any site that sells small quantities of acoustically transparent grill cloth with a VERY wide selection of grill colors or color matching?

Blutarsky
04-29-2015, 07:13 AM
I Googled "speaker grill cloth fabric" and turned up at least 20 colors and patterns from several vendors. How about a nice plaid?

N Boros
04-29-2015, 09:47 AM
From what little I know, if not blended with significant natural fiber (>60%), and if not something easy like nylon/rayon can be challenging to die fabrics with conventional RIT dies. For example 100% polyester and spandex (which I've read can both be relatively good as acoustically transparent grill cloth cannot be dyed w/RIT dies).

So if that's the case, anyone know any site that sells small quantities of acoustically transparent grill cloth with a VERY wide selection of grill colors or color matching?

I've used RIT dye on a different kind of project before. Before you begin you need to find out the material that Ascend is using for the grill cloth. Once you know the material, you can definitively find a dye that will work with that material. RIT may or may not work. It depends on the material. You can easily do a google search for a consumer available dye, once you know what fabric material you are working with.

Mag_Neato
04-29-2015, 09:58 AM
You could also ask Dave & Co. if they can provide a custom grill to match your color.