PDA

View Full Version : Towers and S2 center or 5 S2's?

ilovesound
04-22-2015, 12:06 PM
Hello Everyone,

I was hoping to get some opinions from the community about my upcoming set up. With my current budget I need to choose between the following;

1)Sierra towers with ribbon and an S2 center

2)5 S2's

I have a HSU VTF1 mark 2 sub already.

I just want a nice overall setup that does both movies and music well. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

dtsequoia
04-22-2015, 02:11 PM
With regard to your questions about the S2C and STRs: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?5966-Sierra-Towers-with-RAAL-and-Sierra-2-center-ARRIVE!

That is a good discussion.

ilovesound
04-23-2015, 11:50 AM
I have read that thread before. It's a good one. I have already done research into the S2 being a good match for the towers and I know it is. I'm more curious on thoughts between the two setups I have chosen. They both seem like they would be awesome, but are getting the towers a big enough step up to go with a 3.1 setup vs me having a complete 5.1 with the S2s right away.

natetg57
04-23-2015, 01:04 PM
I have read that thread before. It's a good one. I have already done research into the S2 being a good match for the towers and I know it is. I'm more curious on thoughts between the two setups I have chosen. They both seem like they would be awesome, but are getting the towers a big enough step up to go with a 3.1 setup vs me having a complete 5.1 with the S2s right away.

If you spend a lot of time listening to 2 channel music than I would say the Raal Towers would be a big step up from Sierra-2's. If you're primarily watching movies and listening to music in surround then maybe the difference isn't as big and you'd be completely happy with all Sierra-2s. I know I am. You could order 3 Sierra-2s and see how you like them. 2 of them could be moved to the back as surrounds if you decide to upgrade to towers.

CincyMat
04-24-2015, 04:06 AM
I've had the Sierra Towers with the RAAL tweeters and a Sierra 2 center for a couple of weeks. I watch movies and TV about 70% and 2.1 channel music 30% of the time. The Sierra Towers do both extremely well. I've listened to the towers enough now (with and without my Rythmik F15 sub) playing stereo music recordings to learn that that they are very detailed, have an open airy quality, and a tight articulate bass. My wife, who pays very little attention to my music, even told me the "new speakers" sound very nice.

i don't think you'd go wrong with either the S2's or the Towers. AS Nate said above you can always start with the S2's and expand your system later.

Best of Luck,

Mark

bkdc
04-26-2015, 06:55 AM
I've done the 5 Sierra-2 setup. Now I have Sierra Tower-RAAL's with a Sierra-2 center and Sierra-2 rears. If you never plan on upgrading, then I guess the five S-2 setup would suffice. However, I listen to a lot of 2-channel music, and I repurchased my Sierra Towers after I sold my pair to go with the 5 Sierra-2 set-up.

My recommendation is to go with the Sierra towers with one Sierra-2 center.

The big reason I have the Sierra-2's in the rear channels is because I have a huge library of multi-channel music (SACD) and I found that it makes a definite difference for me. If it were just home theater, I would be okay with rear speakers that weren't timbre matched.

ilovesound
04-27-2015, 05:30 AM
Hey thanks for your thoughts. I think I will get the towers and S2 center.

dtsequoia
05-01-2015, 02:35 PM
Nice man. I keep going back and forth between having the RAAL towers and S2 center or S2 for LCR...It's tough to decide. But, I have a while to figure it out.