PDA

View Full Version : Sierra 2s on the way - could really use help with a receiver!

Bootledhead
03-28-2015, 11:25 PM
Hey y'all,

I've just made my first inroad into great sound with the Sierra 2s (anticipating arrival this week). I've never had any kind of multi channel stereo system until now, and I could use some assistance with choosing an AVR. Based on the price point I can afford at the moment and connectivity features I would like to see, I've narrowed the field to these 3:

- Denon AVR-S700W
- Sony STR-DN1050
- Yamaha RX-V577

Does anyone have experience with or input about those options? Considering how similar they are with respect to features, I'm really curious which of these units would support the best sound quality. Any support would be greatly appreciated.

FirstReflect
03-29-2015, 07:56 AM
So I'm guessing your budget for an AV Receiver is about $450?

Are you in the USA? If so, you can take advantage of Accessories4Less to get yourself a great deal. Accessories4Less works directly with manufacturers to sell clearance and "B-Stock" items. Almost all of the products are marked as "refurbished", but you should not let that dissuade you in any way what-so-ever in this instance. Very often, the products are actually brand new and never been opened, but they're simply being cleared out of inventory by the manufacturers directly. And in cases where the item actually is refurbished, you're actually in a better position because that item has individually been inspected by the manufacturers themselves. In all cases, the items come with a full 1 year manufacturer's warranty. No 90 BS or 3rd party warranty nonsense.

So Accessories4Less is a fantastic place to shop...if you're in the USA.

So with that said, for less than $450, you could snag the Marantz SR5008: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr5008/marantz-sr5008-7.2-network-home-theater-receiver-with-airplay/1.html

You would be getting some nice upgrades over any of the AV Receivers in your current list, including full 7.1 pre-outs (so you have the option of connecting separate amplification in the future, if you would ever like to), full 7.1 analogue audio inputs, and Audyssey MultEQ XT.

The SR5008 does not have WiFi or Bluetooth built in, but it does have an Ethernet port and supports AirPlay. So all you would need is a wireless bridge if you want to add those features (unless you can just use an Ethernet cable, in which case, you're golden already!)

Have a look around Accessories4Less.com for other options, too, if you'd like. But that'd be my top recommendation for this budget.

- Rob H.

dtsequoia
03-29-2015, 08:40 AM
I love my Pioneer Elite SC-65. The newer ones that are slated to come out soon have even more features when compared to what mine came with (i.e. built in wireless and bluetooth, Pro MCACC room EQ with Sub EQ...etc). I really wish mine had these features...oh well. Just saying I love the sound and how accurate this receiver is. Here are a couple of the new Pioneer Elites:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-45

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Elite+Receivers/VSX-90

dtsequoia
03-29-2015, 08:58 AM
Also, I just want to say that I am jealous. I am looking forward to when I have enough saved for my Sierra's!

RPM
03-29-2015, 12:09 PM
Do you have any interest in Dolby Atmos or the upcoming DTS - X ?
If so you may want to hold off on your AVR purchase for a bit. these will be standard
surround modes on upcoming AVR'S

Bootledhead
03-30-2015, 12:24 AM
Thanks, FirstReflect for the Marantz, recommendation. I'll take a look at it. dtsequoia, thanks for the heads up about the upcoming avx models. Those look like some nice options. Personally I'd like to see some reviews, though it appears that they're not being released until next month. So we'll have to wait on those. RPM, I'm not especially interested in either the Dolby Atmos or DTS - X at this time. Unless I pull the trigger on something in the next couple of days, I'll have the Sierra 2s in my home and no way to hear them sing :)

Has anyone had any experience with one or more of the models I mentioned above?

natetg57
03-30-2015, 06:07 AM
Thanks, FirstReflect for the Marantz, recommendation. I'll take a look at it. dtsequoia, thanks for the heads up about the upcoming avx models. Those look like some nice options. Personally I'd like to see some reviews, though it appears that they're not being released until next month. So we'll have to wait on those. RPM, I'm not especially interested in either the Dolby Atmos or DTS - X at this time. Unless I pull the trigger on something in the next couple of days, I'll have the Sierra 2s in my home and no way to hear them sing :)

Has anyone had any experience with one or more of the models I mentioned above?

You haven't told us your exact budget yet. Do you really want bluetooth and wifi? Sound quality among lower priced receivers will be very similar I think. If you think you'll use the automatic room correction such as Audyssey than it'd be worth it to step up to a receiver that has Audyssey XT. Such as this one http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2100w/denon-avr-x2100w-7.2-receiver-with-wi-fi-bluetooth-airplay/1.html

Mag_Neato
03-30-2015, 06:41 AM
Of the models you listed, the Denon S700W is a solid choice, however, they make a twin model....X1100....which has a couple more inputs, stouter speaker terminals, and the biggest advantage: Audyssey MultEQ XT vs. just MultEQ in the S700W. XT gives you 2 more mic locations (8 vs. 6) and higher filter resolution. Also, you can get a factory refurb from Accessories4less: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx1100w/denon-avr-x1100w-7.2-4k-receiver-with-wi-fi-bluetooth-airplay/1.html

I purchased a refurbed X1000 last year from them and it has been superb. I only need 5.1 so it worked out well.

Bootledhead
04-01-2015, 07:26 AM
My budget is $300-$450. Initially I thought the options such as wifi and bluetooth were very important for me, however I'm not so sure anymore (airplay is still important). The receiver will be right beside the modem, so I can always hard-wire it. We don't currently have a television at home or have any plans to purchase one in the immediate future, so having tons of inputs is not necessary. What is most important to me is sound quality and hardware to accommodate the Sierra 2s within my budget. The additions within the next year that I have in mind (which I'd like the receiver to play nice with) are a Sierra center and perhaps a sub.

Mag_Neato
04-01-2015, 10:28 AM
My budget is $300-$450. Initially I thought the options such as wifi and bluetooth were very important for me, however I'm not so sure anymore (airplay is still important). The receiver will be right beside the modem, so I can always hard-wire it. We don't currently have a television at home or have any plans to purchase one in the immediate future, so having tons of inputs is not necessary. What is most important to me is sound quality and hardware to accommodate the Sierra 2s within my budget. The additions within the next year that I have in mind (which I'd like the receiver to play nice with) are a Sierra center and perhaps a sub.

I'd definitely look at Accessories4less. You can purchase a higher end model going refurbished as opposed to new. For your budget you could even grab this little baby: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3000/denon-avr-x3000-7.2-4k-ultra-hd-networking-receiver-w/airplay/1.html

If you want to add the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth, etc. you can add a Netgear wi-fi adapter later like I did to my X1000. It allows Airplay, Pandora/Spotify streaming, etc.

curtis
04-01-2015, 11:40 AM
The additions within the next year that I have in mind (which I'd like the receiver to play nice with) are a Sierra center and perhaps a sub.
With no plans for a TV, is it safe to assume you won't be watching movies at home? If that is the case, I am not sure how much benefit a center channel would be.

Maybe I am missing something?

Bootledhead
04-01-2015, 09:15 PM
So it appears that taking into account the option of A4L pricing and music/sound being most important factors, two nice options are the Marantz 5008 and Denon X3000. Can anyone weigh in on those units?

And curtis, scratch the bit about a center :)

natetg57
04-02-2015, 10:07 AM
So it appears that taking into account the option of A4L pricing and music/sound being most important factors, two nice options are the Marantz 5008 and Denon X3000. Can anyone weigh in on those units?

And curtis, scratch the bit about a center :)

I found this quote from jdsmoothie on avs: "the comparable Denon model to the 5008 is the X2000 which has the same depth of roughly 13" while the X3000 is an upgrade to the 5008 and comparable to the 6008"

I would say the X3000 is a better value. I personally like the display on the Denon better, because it displays a lot more information. If you have a strong preference for the 'Marantz look', then that's not a bad choice either. But Denon is a better value imo and I would pick the X2100 over the 5008 to get Bluetooth and Wifi. But the X3000 has a little more power so if that's more important than get that one. It's also a little bigger, so make sure you have enough room.

sbrownnw
04-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Try 2 channel stereo first, especially if you have a smaller room? Make sure you have good, rigid and heavy stands for your Sierra 2 speakers.

FirstReflect
04-05-2015, 07:19 AM
Not to muddy the waters on your choice, but one reason why I personally like the Marantz SR5008 for this price point is because it offers a full set of pre-outs as well as 7.1 analogue inputs. You won't find those particular connection options on similarly priced Denon models. You have to go all the way up to the AVR-X3100W before you find pre-outs in Denon's lineup, and still no 7.1 analogue inputs on that model, either.

If you're looking to save as much money as possible, Accessories4Less still have Marantz SR5007 units from the previous year, as well. You'd still be getting Audyssey MultEQ XT and AirPlay (via Ethernet connection) on that model.

Since this is an audio-only setup, having the options to connect separate amplification or a multi-channel analogue source seem like very nice inclusions to my way of thinking - especially when it isn't costing you anything extra!

- Rob H.

possumtaters
04-17-2015, 08:07 AM
My recommendation is the Yamaha A-S500. Less than $400.00 on eBay.

85W x 2, excellent reviews on Amazon, Crutchfield, and a 5 star rating from What Hi-Fi. Some specs are below:

Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz - 20 kHz)
85 W + 85 W (0.019% THD)
Maximum Power(8 ohms, 1 kHz, 10% THD)
105 W + 105 W
High Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms)
130 / 150 / 185 / 220 W

Yamaha has recently released a newer version, the A-S501, which includes a couple of digital inputs, but the cost is ~ $550.00.

Yamaha sells a separate bluetooth adapter for ~ $50, so you can stream music.