PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Center Channel

jrhooper1963
03-15-2015, 06:49 AM
Hello

The attached photo is of the bottom of a Sierra One center channel, purchased new in Dec. 2008 from Ascend. There is a crack extending the entire width of the bottom of the speaker. I live in Michigan and have a humidifier installed on my furnace, due to the harsh cold winters, so humidity never goes below 40%. My left and right speakers are also Sierra Ones, also purchased new from Ascend, and are almost a year older, yet they are in flawless shape. Is bamboo wood prone to cracking?

Jim

curtis
03-15-2015, 09:04 AM
Bamboo is pretty durable stuff. I have the second set of Sierra-1's ever sold...and my three are all fine.

Does your center channel sit on anything warm or that changes temperature?

Definitely give Ascend a call about this.

jrhooper1963
03-15-2015, 09:45 AM
Bamboo is pretty durable stuff. I have the second set of Sierra-1's ever sold...and my three are all fine.

Does your center channel sit on anything warm or that changes temperature?

Definitely give Ascend a call about this.

I will definitely be in touch with them. As for the surface it sits on, both the center channel and my left right speakers sit on a glass shelf. No other electronics anywhere near them.

davef
03-18-2015, 01:49 AM
Bamboo is very durable. However, with high humidity as described, any wood will expand. With a piano black finish, wood expansion can crack the epoxy-like finish. We will need to examine the speaker to determine if the material itself cracked or if it is just the finish.

jrhooper1963
03-18-2015, 07:37 AM
Bamboo is very durable. However, with high humidity as described, any wood will expand. With a piano black finish, wood expansion can crack the epoxy-like finish. We will need to examine the speaker to determine if the material itself cracked or if it is just the finish.

I do not believe a maintained indoor humidity of 40%, is to be considered high. In fact Martin Guitar Company, keeps their assembly factory at a maintained humidity level of between 45%-55 %.

I will ship the center channel back to Ascend on my dime, with original sales receipt. Please advise if a RMA# is necessary.

davef
03-19-2015, 07:46 PM
I do not believe a maintained indoor humidity of 40%, is to be considered high. In fact Martin Guitar Company, keeps their assembly factory at a maintained humidity level of between 45%-55 %.

I will ship the center channel back to Ascend on my dime, with original sales receipt. Please advise if a RMA# is necessary.

No RMA is necessary. You have had these speakers for quite some time now. Something caused that split, it is not something that would just simply happen. Wood movement could be a cause, or that in combination with sitting on a glass shelf that is flexible such that the speaker is not evenly supported. It looks like the split is directly in the middle of the cabinet.

Regardless, we will fully evaluate of course.

RicardoJoa
03-22-2015, 10:44 AM
Well, i have experience with crack on mdf and veneer and i can tell you is mainly caused by the difference in temperature. Temperature is what makes wood including bamboo dilated. And they see a drastic in temperature change, that what it causes the crack.