PDA

View Full Version : Potential new system (would like input).

dtsequoia
02-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Hey guys,

I just bought the CBM-170's...love them. Now I am thinking of what to upgrade to in the relatively near future.

I have been thinking of the possible combinations:

Sierra 1 Center with NrT tweeter
Sierra tower with NrT
CBM-170's x 2

OR

Sierra 2 Center
Sierra Tower with RAAL
CBM-170's x 2

My wife and I listen to music probably 85% of the time with our system in 2.1. What is your take on the combinations proposed?

I am in favor of the NrT route. But again, I would like your input!

I have a Pioneer SC-65 (which I love), Oppo BDP-93, iMac optical output to receiver, and an Aperion Bravus IID 10" sub. Currently I have some old Athena speakers for my surrounds and center. Thanks!

Ben

natetg57
02-07-2015, 05:11 PM
What kind or kinds of music do you listen to? I have the Sierra-2s and love them. I haven't heard the NRTs but am sure they are very nice too.

Mag_Neato
02-07-2015, 05:36 PM
I had the original Sierra-1's, did the NrT upgrade when that came out, and did the Sierra-2 upgrade when that came out. I'm loving the RAALs with the new woofer. It took the Sierra's to a whole new level. If you go the ribbon direction you will love them, but you may need to go RAALs all around for continuity. Consider that.

muzz
02-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Mag_Neato, this is Charles Xavier....I instruct you to pack up the S2's and send them to me for a forever evaluation to help the cause....you have been instructed....
;)

dtsequoia
02-07-2015, 07:13 PM
We listen to all sort's of music. Mostly indie. But that includes a lot of folk, electronica and other. I Like a lot of old Windham Hill stuff (grew up on it). My wife really likes mostly acoustic music. Very little electronica. I on the other hand really enjoy some electronica. From industrial (FLA) to indie stuff like M83. But really that's where our listening rests: in electronica, folk, and new age.

muzz
02-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Sounds like S2 X3, or 2x Towers w/Raal and Horizon....I''m cheap(extra $ is low...whatta ya expect!), so I'd be looking S2x3 myself(I have Sierra1 x3 now across the front)..
What is your REAL budget?

dtsequoia
02-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Yeah..See my budget is max 3K...So I was thinking the NrT across the board. That way they are all relatively voice matched.

Also..I did forget to mention that I may be able to swing S2x3 with the F12SE for a new sub. But...given the WIF (Which as a newly-wed am all too quickly realizing is a very real phenomenon)...It is more likely the NrT setup...

natetg57
02-08-2015, 05:19 AM
I would suggest three Sierra 2s and the Rythmik if possible. Another option would be to buy three Sierra 1s now and upgrade them to 2s later on.

muzz
02-08-2015, 10:20 AM
I'd go S2x3 and get the sub instead of the NRT setup, but that's just me.

swallan
02-08-2015, 02:18 PM
or you could do what we did if you afford it is to get the nrt towers and the horizon center with the raal tweeter .even with the two different tweeters everything sounds fabulous,you can always save for a sub later.

Jhnsmj
02-09-2015, 04:01 AM
But if you are really 85% music in 2.1, get the RAAL Towers. The Sierra 2 center works very well with them (that's what we have). I haven't heard the NrTs, but I can say that for acoustic music especially, the RAALs really seem to be worth it.

dtsequoia
02-11-2015, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the input. I am glad to hear that someone has the towers with RAAL and a S2 as the center. That was another combination I was thinking of as well. In fact, it was the original...Then I got my CBM's and was like well, this speaker sounds great with just the SE tweeter and redone woofer and I had read tons of reviews regarding the NrT on the S1's and how people love(d) them.

But, if the ST w/RAAL and the S2 works well with you that's great...As I said I have wondered how they would sound together for a while. If you could give me a little more insight on your thoughts Jhnsmj, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Jhnsmj
02-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Not sure what else to add. I was really focusing on the idea that if 2.1 is your priority (and they're within budget), then you should think about the RAAL Towers; in other words, put the $$ where they have the most impact for you. The center should be a small concern if you are 85% 2.1, and in fact, the towers create a very good phantom center.

Since you had mentioned Windham Hill and acoustic folk, I think acoustics are where the RAAL shine - at least from my perspective where I haven't heard the NrTs. We listen to a lot of acoustic jazz, and those instruments sound real. I had a strange experience last week, actually, listening to Hamburg '72 (Jarrett, Haden, Motian) - there was a point where Paul Motian really starts going after the cymbals, and it sounded like someone was bashing cymbals in our living room. I'd never thought about whether or not I wanted someone bashing cymbals in our living room before and then realized how accurate the reproduction was.

If you have specific questions, I can try to answer them. Good luck with your choosing.

dtsequoia
02-15-2015, 03:51 PM
Not sure what else to add. I was really focusing on the idea that if 2.1 is your priority (and they're within budget), then you should think about the RAAL Towers; in other words, put the $$ where they have the most impact for you. The center should be a small concern if you are 85% 2.1, and in fact, the towers create a very good phantom center.

Since you had mentioned Windham Hill and acoustic folk, I think acoustics are where the RAAL shine - at least from my perspective where I haven't heard the NrTs. We listen to a lot of acoustic jazz, and those instruments sound real. I had a strange experience last week, actually, listening to Hamburg '72 (Jarrett, Haden, Motian) - there was a point where Paul Motian really starts going after the cymbals, and it sounded like someone was bashing cymbals in our living room. I'd never thought about whether or not I wanted someone bashing cymbals in our living room before and then realized how accurate the reproduction was.

If you have specific questions, I can try to answer them. Good luck with your choosing.

Well thanks man. I appreciate your input. I will have to see if I can scrounge up that extra 850! ;)

dtsequoia
04-22-2015, 05:02 AM
In case you guys were wondering...I have decided to go with the Sierra 2's across the front with a rythmik F12BM for the sub. The CBM's will stay the same for surround duty. Thanks for the input!

Time to start saving...

Also looking at an Emotiva XPA-3 for the Sierra's. Anyone have any reviews for this (S2 LCR + XPA-3) set up?

markie
04-22-2015, 07:09 AM
Great choice with the 3 Sierra 2s!

I've heard the Pioneer Elite SC-65 is a very capable and should make the Sierra 2's sound great.
But if you need more juice yeah the Emotiva XPA-3s are a great value. Only thing negative I've heard is that for some people, with certain gear, the XPA line can sound bright or harsh at higher volumes. I don't know if that potential trait has been remedied with the gen 2 version that came about about a year or so ago.

Good luck!
Mark

PS to GirgleMirt, if you are reading, I can't reply to your PM because your inbox is full.

dtsequoia
04-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Thanks Mark,

I have been debating the necessity of getting the XPA-3 due to the SC-65 being a THX Select 2 receiver. But hey, IDK. I have a lot of time before I buy these things to decide.

Ben