PDA

View Full Version : Peachtree audio and Sierra 2s

point1
01-14-2015, 09:29 AM
Hello all,

I'm looking to run the nova125SE Amplifier and Sierra 2's as computer desktop speaker/nearfield listening. Any thoughts on this combination and also using the Sierra 2s for nearfield application?

I'm also looking to use the nova220se amplifier for the Sierra Towers that I am looking to buy in March. I'm going with the 220 for more power and I believe I can incorporate subwoofers with the towers for 2.2 music listening.

I'm looking to solicit feedback on this setup and if anyone else is running similar gear.

thanks!

mcatucci
02-27-2015, 06:53 AM
I use the original Nova and the Sierra 2's which sit about 4 feet away and I can tell you the sound is amazing. You will not be disappointed with the combination. Both the Sierra NrT and "2" work extremely well with Peachtree's Nova.

bkdc
03-10-2015, 05:55 AM
Any well designed amplifier will do. You're looking at a integrated DAC with class-D amplifier with a tube buffer. I believe Peachtree now uses ICEpower amplifier modules. The tube is a bunch of mumbo jumbo, but if you want to intentionally filter or distort your sound for warmth, then I guess it's an okay feature. If I want my music intentionally distorted, my computer can do that for me digitally through various filters in foobar2000 or JRiver. For nearfield listening, you probably don't need that much power. One of the best bargains out there in the same category of DAC/integrated class-D amplifier for nearfield use is the TEAC AI-501DA. The TEAC uses Anaview (Abletec) modules. With the crazy exchange rates against the yen, it's a true bargain. And even cheaper if you buy direct from Amazon Japan at less than 400 US dollars. Add another 60 to 100 bucks shipping via a shipping service like Tenso and it's still a steal. Due to its limited power, it wouldn't be very versatile if you wanted to fill a large room. The Wyred4Sound mINT should also be on your list to check out. It uses ICEpower modules.

My gripe about it is that it's not fully balanced. But neither is the Peachtree Nova125SE. Because the DAC is integrated, it's not as big of an issue, but if you use it to amplify another source, I prefer to not worry about the legacy issues of the Pin1 hassle from manufacturers who don't/didn't comply with AES48.